1.    #1  
    I am trying to backup data in some of the apps I've purchased from the Official App Catalog like Absolute Fitness. The directions tell me to open the ".appstorage" folder once connected via USB to my PC. From there I should open the folder that contains the string "com.aquaeagle.absolutefitness" and copy the file with the .db extension to a safe place.

The only problem is I don't see a folder named ".appstorage" on my pre.

Any suggestions?
    It's a hidden file. Open up folder preferences and choose to show hidden and system files.
  3.    #3  
    DOH! I should've known that!
    Thanks a lot, Alex!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    I am trying to backup data in some of the apps I've purchased from the Official App Catalog like Absolute Fitness. The directions tell me to open the ".appstorage" folder once connected via USB to my PC. From there I should open the folder that contains the string "com.aquaeagle.absolutefitness" and copy the file with the .db extension to a safe place.

The only problem is I don't see a folder named ".appstorage" on my pre.

Any suggestions?
    There is no need to backup apps you bought from the Official App Catalog. When you do a full restore, part of the process is downloading all the apps you purchased.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, purchased apps will automatically download but not the data you've stored in them. For example with Absolute Fitness, I would have the app but I would lose all of the information I've entered about how many times I've worked out, diet, calories, etc.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, that I know. I hope some of these apps would look into making a file for your records that you could easily import.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    was there any truth to the rumor that using the webosDr. No longer touches the /media/internal portion of the drive?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    was there any truth to the rumor that using the webosDr. No longer touches the /media/internal portion of the drive?
    Well after the last time I doctored my phone all the installed apps were still installed. So yes it doesn't touch /media/internal, unless you do a full erase.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealy View Post
    Well after the last time I doctored my phone all the installed apps were still installed. So yes it doesn't touch /media/internal, unless you do a full erase.
    Last time you Doctored your phone, that IS a full erase. It's a complete reimage of the phone back to 'factory' layout.

When you login to your palm profile the first time after doing this, it'll download your app store apps.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Last time I Doctored my phone...it didn't touch my movies and mp3's stored in the USB partition. It did NOT erase the device back to factory fresh.
    It's in the documentation. New versions of the Dr do not erase the USB partition.
    I believe this has been true since 1.3.1
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Technically, all of webOS's file systems are stored on the flash device. With the 1.3.5 update, most, if not all, homebrew/paid apps are installed under /media/cryptofs. Regular user data is stored under /media/internal. Some apps may save configuration data in the app's subdirectory under cryptofs. If you connect via webOS QuickInstall through novacom (USB) /media/cryptofs will be mounted encrypted to prevent software piracy.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    If you connect via webOS QuickInstall through novacom (USB) /media/cryptofs will be mounted encrypted to prevent software piracy.
    it's not really meant to prevent software piracy, as its not even a speed bump for those that want to pirate (its one of those long flat speed humps, that you can speed over if you want to, but are there to make you think twice about it)
    I thought the USB partition is only encrypted when the phone is in USB mode, if you are accessing the phone via webOS QI the phone shouldn't be in USB mode and the app area should be accessible. I have not done this yet, but that was my understanding of the new encryption when Palm moved the apps to the USB partition. To add to that, if the USB partition was encrypted with webosqi/novacom access how would you install an app in dev mode?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Last time you Doctored your phone, that IS a full erase. It's a complete reimage of the phone back to 'factory' layout.

When you login to your palm profile the first time after doing this, it'll download your app store apps.
    @ssrjazz, this is NO LONGER TRUE. As of recent updates, the Doctor does NOT clear out the Media portion of the drive....