Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been looking into the various plans, trying to figure out what I should do, as my plan on VZ is coming up. I'm currently using the BB Storm, and while I do enjoy using it, I've gotten bored with it and would like to try something new. While searching the prices for plans, I found that Sprint's seems to be the cheapest for me, so I started looking into the Pre. I'm about ready to switch, but my only real worry is coverage. I know that roaming is free onto the VZ network but I'm still a little leery. Is anyone on here from Northern VA that could let me know how coverage is out here? If it seems to be ok, then I think I'll switch shortly.

On a related note, any opinions on whether I should switch now or wait and see if there is a new Pre coming?

Thanks!
    You should wait. Verizon is getting the Pre Plus on Jan 25th. Unless plan pricing is a concern, you can still get the Pre and not have to switch.

For the record, Sprint's coverage in NOVA is just as good as Verizon's.
    yeah its all up to how much you want to pay.. Sprint is obviously cheaper but Verizon is getting the Pre Plus.
    I have to agree with what's already been said here. I have no idea what the coverage is like in Virginia, but in general, you'll probably find that Verizon gives you better coverage overall. And Jan 25 is only 12 days away.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I would stay with Verizon if they weren't so expensive and rude... As long as Sprint's coverage is ok in this area, I think I will probably switch over.

Thanks again ^_^
    I'm in NoVA, live in Sterling and Work in Tysons, and have excellent coverage around the area. Usually Stream Pandora on the way too and from work with no drops. There are very few spots in Nova, DC, or MD in the DC area that I have ever had an isssue with. There are some areas that EVDO can be spotty, but almost always have voice, and usually at least 1x data
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Try the service out with new numbers and if the coverage meets your needs, port over.
    I wouldn't switch to Verizon just for the Plus Pre. Sprint will get an updated Pre sooner or later.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    When I switched from AT&T a while back, I got the Pre with a new number (I considered it temporary). You have 30 days to use it and make sure that you have good coverage where you need it most - home, work and school.

I found the coverage to be great and loved the phone. At that point, you can have Sprint transfer your old number over to the new phone.
    Coverage in No. Virginia is great! Only difference I hear is that Verizon customers can get service in the metro in DC!! I don't think Sprint roams on that.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    If you wait for the Pre+ to come out on Verizon, I'd suggest you wait another week or two to see what people think of it after using it and that you also get an idea of what the ala-carte prices on Verizon are if you need things like tethering. In my opinion, the Pre+ currently does not seem like enough of an improvement to justify the difference in monthly cost. For many (including me), the Everything Data 450 plan in Sprint gives me much more minutes than I ever use (because calls to all cell phones are free). Sprint Navigation is nice if you don't already have a GPS (and it's included).

I did a search for you (here and on other forums) and the results say that Sprint 3G coverage is "rock solid" in your area.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/spr...ern-va-149837/

Here's (some WikiPedia info on Sprint's roaming agreements).

Sprint has plans for 4G coverage in your area, so down the road, you should be able to get a new phone 4G service. If your monthly bill is over $100, you will be classified as a Sprint Premier customer and will be eligible to upgrade your handset every year instead of every two years.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRR View Post
    I'm in NoVA, l... There are some areas that EVDO can be spotty, but almost always have voice, and usually at least 1x data
    In the search I just did, the WikiPedia article said that Verizon does not do data on 1XRTT - just voice. I thought that was just plain weird!
    Good info, didn't know that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    If your monthly bill is over $100, you will be classified as a Sprint Premier customer and will be eligible to upgrade your handset every year instead of every two years.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Coverage in No. Virginia is great! Only difference I hear is that Verizon customers can get service in the metro in DC!! I don't think Sprint roams on that.
    Actually, Sprint DOES roam on Verizon in the Metro underground. But even Verizon drops calls in most of the tunnels in the system. Also, it was recently announced on the news that Metro was working with the other carriers to provide service for all carriers in the underground stations. Several of the stations have already been outfitted for Sprint & AT&T coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by XenDeKhra View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I would stay with Verizon if they weren't so expensive and rude... As long as Sprint's coverage is ok in this area, I think I will probably switch over.

Thanks again ^_^
    Sprint's customer service has gotten a lot better than it was in the past. They were never rude, but they used to be often incompetent. Now they seem to focus on solving the problem the first time and using more simplified plans as ways to reduce their total volume of call center costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by XenDeKhra View Post
    Yeah, I would stay with Verizon if they weren't so expensive and rude...
    That is exactly why i will never goto verizon. minus when your in the store and there trying to sell you something they have to be the most difficult people i have ever had to deal with. PERIOD.

i have there FiOS tv and internet service and as soon as i can either afford to pay 179 to break the contract or wait till it ends, im leaving.

sprint went through the same issues, this i realize. however comma the only time i had to deal with them was my own fault (when i was late paying a bill). for some reason i have to deal with verizon for reasons other then that at least every other month if not every month. charging me for movies i never watched (ppv) or double charging me, equipment breaking, loss of service.

i have friends on verizon and they seem to have the same complaints i do being on sprint as far as coverage goes in DFW. verizon is just more forgiving if you dont pay your bill

The savings alone would drag me to sprint. yea the plus will be nicer but at what over all cost. and is it going to really matter much? are you a serious phone gamer?

wow this got long
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    If your monthly bill is over $100, you will be classified as a Sprint Premier customer and will be eligible to upgrade your handset every year instead of every two years.
    This is wrong. It's $69 if you're on a single plan, and $99 if you're on a shared plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    This is wrong. It's $69 if you're on a single plan, and $99 if you're on a shared plan.
    That's what the rules say, but I'm still trying to get my premier status with the $69.99 plan.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks again for all of your help. I will be moving to Sprint at some point now. Does anyone know how it works if you purchase your phone/plan from Amazon or the like and then either want to cancel or port your old number(just in case).

Thanks again all
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    That's what the rules say, but I'm still trying to get my premier status with the $69.99 plan.
    http://www.sprintenterprise.com/premier/?id16=iSearch_MA_022809_sprintpremier&id16=premier
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast