Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Things My Pre Can Do That Are Neat

•Stay in sync with my computer (address, contacts, to do lists, new music and podcasts) wirelessly over wi-fi (never needing to plug into my computer) [Missing Sync, which I haven't bought yet but almost certainly will unless there is something better]

•Wireless inductive charging using magic i mean electromagnetism. Except I don't have Touchstone so it can't.

• Full support for Flash video coming next month(?). iPhone users may not ever see full Flash implementation because Apple won't allow it. Not only is Flash in direct competition with Apple's own streaming codecs, but Flash apps could circumvent the official App Store, and Apple likes total control and dominance over the iPhone experience.

• Supported video recording coming soon.

• Really fast googlemap info and built in turn-by-turn voice navigation.

• Can run multiple apps at once, and they still operate in the background (I can load wep pages while playing music and downloading new apps, all while talking to someone on the phone, while a chat window is open)

• Can be operated one-handed, including many multitouch functions. You can unlock the phone, open and close apps, go forward or back, check email, and play music, all using the thumb of the hand holding the phone. While driving. This alone is pretty awesome. I'm trying to train myself not to use the phone while driving, but it is really hard.

• Combines inboxes, contacts, and chat functionality from Yahoo, Google, Facebook, etc. seamlessly. Mail works really, really great-- I'll be sitting at my desktop computer and still check email on my phone.

• I personally really like the keyboard design and implementation. One huge complaint-- almost zero tactile feedback on bottom and sides of spacebar. I've heard I'm not the only one. this specific issue seriously hampers my ability to type fast, because I have to keep looking at the screen to check spacing.

• The camera isn't great (about the same quality as the iPhone), and it can't auto-focus, but it has an on/off/auto LED flash and can shoot decent photos (and video soon) and geotag them. LOVE that I can use a hardware button (spacebar) to take photos.

• LOVE the mirror on the back of the phone so i can pick my teeth in public. Would be good if I could turn the LED light on at will and control brightness to look in the mirror at night. Actually, it would be nice to simply be able to control the LED as a flashlight, period.

• Syncs with iTunes by masquerading as an iPod. Apple is fighting against this, and the newest version of iTunes will break this again, so I've stopped updating iTunes.

• The webOS version of Spotlight, wherein I can just start typing something at anytime and the Pre automatically filters the search through my contacts and applications. Needs to be able to search mail as well.

• The Palm Pre's hardware isn't as revolutionary or robust as the iPhone's, but the software is incredible.

• Not exactly relevant to anything, but MacDonalds just started a free WiFi program. So now you can pull over in any MacDonalds parking lot and get wifi! Although my Sprint cell network is so fast that I rarely turn on WiFi. I live next to a cell tower, so I get great coverage and no sperm count...

Things That Are Not Cool About My Pre:

• No built-in hardware compass like the new iPhone. GPS can determine direction if I walk a few feet, so that's not a problem at the moment (although occasionally at traffic lights my phone will tell me to make a U Turn!). The problem is that when augmented reality apps become ubiquitous, my phone won't be able to make much use of them, and it can't be fixed with a firmware update.

• The music player is good, but not as Apple-like as the one in the iPhone. If I'm running 10 apps at once, the music occasionally stutters.

• 8 GB is not enough memory. The 16 GB version (the Pre Plus) is not available on my carrier. So I'm going to still have to tote my iPod around with me just in case I need to listen to disc 9 of the Complete Buddy Holly.

• Orb and SlingPlayer implementation coming... soon? (for accessing your computer and dvr media on the phone). Hoping for a Hulu app after the Flash update next month.

• I WISH I could use the keyboard for up and down scrolling. Hate when the keypad is slid open and I have to hold the phone with one hand and use the other on the screen, just to scroll down. Also, if I realize I made an error while typing, I'd love to jump back using a left arrow key to my mistake, rather than trying to tap in the exact spot, or just backspace a lot.

• I haven't figured out keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste, etc. [update: got it!!!]

• The keyboard auto-corrects things i don't want corrected (like "U Mass" becomes "You mass"-- and it doesn't correct things that are obviously wrong ("theraputic" rather than "therapeutic"). So a nice spell-checker and some auto-correct controls would be rad.

• My Pre did not come with an instruction manual even though I bought it new. I did find some pdf thing online. Thanks Sprint.

• Is it just me, or is the USB charge port really stupidly designed? Sometimes the little rubber tab comes out and then I plug in the cable only to find the rubber thing has flopped around and is now stuck between the cable and the phone, making for a bad connection. It's like they are forcing me to pay for TouchStone.

• I can't get rid of Nascar and NFL apps and I hate Nascar and NFL. Why can't I customize my phone? I can customize my computer. It's not like my iMac forces me to look at the Nascar logo every. single. day....

• Currently no eBook reader from the App Catalog that auto-scrolls. I have heard on the podcast that pReader autoscrolls but I haven't figured out how to do all the power-user craziness that will allow me to run that. Used to use iSilo (i think that was the one) on my Palm III and it was great. No, I am not about to buy Classic emulation when the SDK just got released and I'm sure new ebook readers are coming.

• When the battery reaches 20% my keyboard lights turn out. Even if I am halfway through typing the text message that will get me rescued from the dark alleyway, the keyboard lights die. Workaround?

• Finally, as everyone knows: the battery sucks. Basically, I have had the phone a week and run out of juice every single day.

---
    I'd appreciate any corrections or suggestions.

-Alex H.
    Last edited by AlexHergensheimer; 01/13/2010 at 04:03 AM.
    "Actually, it would be nice to simply be able to control the LED as a flashlight, period."
    There is a homebrew app for that.

"I haven't figured out keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste, etc."
    Check the manual.

"I can't get rid of Nascar and NFL apps and I hate Nascar and NFL"
    There is a patch for that
    Formany of your Problems there are Apps (mostyl Homebrew)

Check the Homebrew section on how to install preware (it's really really simple), and then blast away, there are several apps for flashlight control, there are also patches to hide the sprint apps (so you can hide nascar and nfl)

there are also a few ebook readers available. and yeah the battery sucks, but it's getting better with each software update. and it is normal for most smartphones to charge them over night, my pre sleeps on the touchstone. so no problem there.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    "Actually, it would be nice to simply be able to control the LED as a flashlight, period."
    There is a homebrew app for that.
    "I haven't figured out keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste, etc."
    Check the manual.
    "I can't get rid of Nascar and NFL apps and I hate Nascar and NFL"
    There is a patch for that
    sweet. i didn't get a manual with the new phone-- did you? i found a pdf online though. it will take me another week or two of playing around before i'll be ready to join the homebrew community (sounds kinda scary, but i'm frightened of the unknown)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    yeah the battery sucks, but it's getting better with each software update. and it is normal for most smartphones to charge them over night, my pre sleeps on the touchstone. so no problem there.
    Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that touchstone is the way to go-- originally when I bought the phone the removable battery was a big selling point (although the Sprint rep also INSISTED that I buy the 16 gb micro SD card that I knew would not work with the Pre, so maybe I should have been selling the phone to HER). But I think it would work easier to just buy a car charger and touchstone, rather than carrying another battery around (since I can only charge one at a time).
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHergensheimer View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that touchstone is the way to go-- originally when I bought the phone the removable battery was a big selling point (although the Sprint rep also INSISTED that I buy the 16 gb micro SD card that I knew would not work with the Pre, so maybe I should have been selling the phone to HER). But I think it would work easier to just buy a car charger and touchstone, rather than carrying another battery around (since I can only charge one at a time).
    I love the Touchstone personally. I got one next to my bed, and then I ended mounting one in my car. It makes for a great GPS/music/easy charging unit for my Pre! instead of fiddling with wires(unless I have it plugged into my stereo), I can just take it off the touchstone and get out of the car in no time. And that attempted microSD sale made me crack up. I feel you on the small built in storage though. Here's to hoping that Sprint corrects this issue within the next few months for I can buy the 16GB Pre or heck, even the 32 would be nice!
    Here's a copy & paste tutorial by Palm:
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    I love the Touchstone personally. I got one next to my bed, and then I ended mounting one in my car. It makes for a great GPS/music/easy charging unit for my Pre! instead of fiddling with wires(unless I have it plugged into my stereo), I can just take it off the touchstone and get out of the car in no time. And that attempted microSD sale made me crack up. I feel you on the small built in storage though. Here's to hoping that Sprint corrects this issue within the next few months for I can buy the 16GB Pre or heck, even the 32 would be nice!
    I still can't safely drive while switching songs-- on my 3rd gen ipod i have tactile feedback-- i can go forward or backward a song, or rewind an audiobook 10 seconds if i miss something. Any hope someone will write a hack so I can use the Pre's keyboard for this? Maybe it already exists.
    Also, most ipods can be hooked into a port in the car so you can control music via dash commands or a steering wheel control pad....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post
    Here's a copy & paste tutorial by Palm:
    cool. lots of good stuff there for the neophyte like me. too boring to watch on my computer, perfect to watch on my pre under the covers.
    • I WISH I could use the keyboard for up and down scrolling. Hate when the keypad is slid open and I have to hold the phone with one hand and use the other on the screen, just to scroll down. Also, if I realize I made an error while typing, I'd love to jump back using a left arrow key to my mistake, rather than trying to tap in the exact spot, or just backspace a lot.

for jumping back to a spot you were at, press and hold the orange key and just move your finger around the screen, it allows you to move the cursor around and get it exactly where you want. It also has a lower sensitivity so it's easier to move only one character at a time. When I discovered that it saved a ton of frustration for me.
    cool. lots of good stuff there for the neophyte like me. too boring to watch on my computer, perfect to watch on my pre under the covers.
    There are apps and patches that address nearly everything you've brought up. Check here to get started.
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    And while we're at it, check here as well.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ted-guide.html
    The best thing for you and others new to the scene to do is read the stickies, search keywords, and research, research, research. Get to know your phone. Find things out on your own, instead of asking questions on everything. Not being rude, so don't take that the wrong way, but that's what I found to be the best way to become familiar with what you're doing. I've responded to at least 15 posts in the last few days asking what to do to fix their patches because they messed them up some how. A very simple search will find that solution, and pretty much any other solution to questions you may have. Every problem, feature, question that you can ask has almost certainly been covered here somewhere else before.
    So welcome to the community! You will find a lot of great people around willing to help, and if you put in a bit of legwork, you will find the phone all the more rewarding.
    BTW...I think everyone needs to pay homage to where this all started. I remember installing this as soon as it came out, just because it was possible. Still have it on my pre and I'll never erase it. Sort of a memento of how far we've come in 7 short months. Check it out.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    if u are a heavy users, it might worth investing an extra battery or two, you can get it from ebay for $10/each
    Some of these can be taken care of with HomeBrew apps and/or patches. Install PreWare, and you'll have some of the issues fixed.
    LOVE the mirror on the back of the phone so i can pick my teeth in public. Would be good if I could turn the LED light on at will and control brightness to look in the mirror at night. Actually, it would be nice to simply be able to control the LED as a flashlight, period.
    There are a couple of HomeBrew apps that will turne your LED into a flashlight. I prefer LED Torch
    The keyboard auto-corrects things i don't want corrected (like "U Mass" becomes "You mass"-- and it doesn't correct things that are obviously wrong ("theraputic" rather than "therapeutic"). So a nice spell-checker and some auto-correct controls would be rad.
    There is a HomeBrew app to allow you to add (or delete) words. If you want to leave a word in, but occasionally don't want to use what it autocorrects to, as soon as it changes hit the backspace key once, and it will revert back to what you typed.
    I can't get rid of Nascar and NFL apps and I hate Nascar and NFL. Why can't I customize my phone? I can customize my computer. It's not like my iMac forces me to look at the Nascar logo every. single. day....
    There's a HomeBrew patch that will delete the icons, or you can get root access to the Pre, and actually delete the program (like a bad penny, they'll come back with updates though).
    I WISH I could use the keyboard for up and down scrolling. Hate when the keypad is slid open and I have to hold the phone with one hand and use the other on the screen, just to scroll down.
    Use your thumb!
    Good pros & cons summary. . .thought I would respond to

• Is it just me, or is the USB charge port really stupidly designed? Sometimes the little rubber tab comes out and then I plug in the cable only to find the rubber thing has flopped around and is now stuck between the cable and the phone, making for a bad connection. It's like they are forcing me to pay for TouchStone.

My response:

Paying for a Touchstone was the best decision I have made about the Pre. It makes life so much easier not to have to deal with that little rubber thing flopping around (and the back cover that comes with kit is so much better than the Pre cover). Found that best way to position the Pre on the Touchstone is to "hover" over the stone until you feel the magnetic pull, then let it grab hold - that way it will be in the correct place for charging.
    Great write up, and about where I am with my Pre, although I have already jumped into homebrew. I like the idea of the touchstone, but it makes it hard to put protective cases on the phone, unless someone knows of one that doesn't stop the connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

There are a couple of HomeBrew apps that will turne your LED into a flashlight. I prefer LED Torch
    There is actually a patch that you can install that will put a flashlight toggle into your device menu. No need for a separate app. Fantastic patch that I use all the time.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Hom View Post
    Found that best way to position the Pre on the Touchstone is to "hover" over the stone until you feel the magnetic pull, then let it grab hold - that way it will be in the correct place for charging.
    What works even better for me, put your finger and thumb on the sides of the Palm logo on the back (or if you're missing the USB cover like me, use that as a guide), and line up that logo with the logo on the TS.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Great write up, and about where I am with my Pre, although I have already jumped into homebrew. I like the idea of the touchstone, but it makes it hard to put protective cases on the phone, unless someone knows of one that doesn't stop the connection?
    I use a clear screen protector (covers all of the front half) on the front. The back doesn't need a protector, since the TS back is rubberized.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What works even better for me, put your finger and thumb on the sides of the Palm logo on the back (or if you're missing the USB cover like me, use that as a guide), and line up that logo with the logo on the TS.
    Have used both methods, but "hovering" has been more successful for me - guess it's the added tactile feel or pull that confirms I hit the sweet spot. Sorry you're missing the USB cover. . .unfortunately, it's one of the vulnerable parts of the Pre.

Too bad that Palm did not heavily market the Touchstone up front when they introduced the Pre. A visual, i.e., TV ad where someone just pops the phone on the stone, walks away, comes back to pick it up is worth a thousand words & $$$ (LOL). Despite being an optional purchase, the Touchstone makes the Pre unique and stand out from the vast field of smart phones (oh well).
    I find the easiest way is just place the phone on the touchstone sideways. Palm needs to get landscape view for the TS charge clock.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast