Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well, let me first start off by saying hello to everyone. It's been quite some time since I've posted anything. I had a Treo 755p a while back, but got rid of it.

So, you're probably wondering why all the switching around in such a short period of time. It all started when I picked up a Hero on launch day. At first I was dazzled by the very attractive Sense UI and all its homescreens and widgets. It was my first Android smartphone so I was really impressed at the amount of customization that it allowed. I was even more impressed at how it handled notifications. I can't stand when I'm trying to do something on my device and a ******** text message pops on the screen and ruins everything. So, initially I was very happy with my purchase. I got used to navigating the Hero and all it's little quirks. Though that's mostly the Andriod OS not the Sense UI really. After a while some of the bugs such as the fact that I had to download a 3rd party SMS program because the stock one had a glitch that destroyed your battery started to annoy me. The battery life period was a joke. And the overall lag of Sense in general started to really bother me. Don't get me wrong, the Hero is a solid device for the most part. I just started to become very unimpressed with it. So at day 28 I made the jump over to the Moment.

The Moment had a better screen and a faster processor(overclocked to 700). Plus it was vanilla Android which made the whole device run a lot smoother and faster in general. So I was stoked about the switch. I still liked the Hero form factor better. I never used the keyboard once on the Moment. Not once! So it was a bit clunky to me, but it was awesome overall. Then the Hero got that maintenance update which pretty much fixed all the bugs and battery life problem. That felt like a swift kick to the nuts. Even still, I was loving the Moment. Then came the problems with the Moment. The touchscreen started acting strange sometimes and wouldn't register my swipes. Then it would go crazy and start swiping left and right and left and right. You get the idea. Then my end button stopped working so I couldn't put the phone to sleep.Super lame! So I had a decision to make. Get another Moment or switch to something else. My problem was that I really liked Android as a whole. It did everything that I needed it to do. Sure it's not the prettiest OS out there, but it gets the job done...usually. And it's flexibility was amazing. The even bigger problem is that I'm a massive nerd when it comes to mobile technology. So I wanted something new! So bye bye Android and hello WebOS!

I wasn't totally sure if my decision to switch to the Pre was the right one. It had some extremely positive reviews and some really negative ones as well. So it was a toss up. So I said to myself " If it sucks I'll just switch carriers and nab a different device.". Well, I am so glad that I made the switch from the Moment to the Pre. The Moment was a really nice device, but the Pre is amazing! First off, WebOS is beautiful! And the Pre is almost entirely lag free. Not to mention it handles notifications even better than Android IMO. Just swipe it away...very cool. The form factor is great for me. It's small though not too small. And it's just a really sexy device overall. Combined with the WebOS it's pretty much bullet proof. I can see why the Apple ******* have their panties in a bunch. It's that amazing of a device that its kinda hurts their feelings a little bit. I completely understand it though. And now that I've Homebrewed it, it's almost ******** at what the possibilities are. No onsceen keyboard? Done! No bulk delete in the email app? Done! Not enough pages for apps? Done! You get the picture.

What I'm saying is that I've owned the Pre for a whole 7 days and it already stomps a mud hole in the last few devices that I've owned. Two of them being brand new Android devices. I couldn't be happier about my switch over to the wonderful WebOS. And the fact that the Pre is able to handle the OS and shine the way that it does is simply astounding. Sorry,but the Hero and Moment are pretty lackluster in comparison IMO. I've played with a Nexus One and IMO it's the first device to actually RUN Android properly. Thanks to the Snap Dragon processor. Even still, I would choose the Pre over the Nexus One. WebOS is just a better OS than Andriod IMO. And it's even sweeter that the WebOS is still so young and already this impressive. I'm sold! I have made my choice and jumped on the right ship this time.

Sorry to all the people out there dogging the Pre because they read something on the internet that wasn't a positive viewpoint. It really takes using the Pre to appreciate it (No pun intended). I'm content...No! I'm blown away with the Pre and WebOS!! So I've now found my new home with the Pre and here on precentral.net. And I'm here to stay! Sorry this post is so long. I just really had to tell somebody and that's what the internet is for. Right?

Pre and WebOS for the win!!
    welcome to webos and the forums guy
    Welcome to the party, congrats on your purchase
    Welcome, I was a G1 user for about two months.
    I understand your story.
    welcome (back). the pre is prertty amazing, and webos is definitely where it's at. but i guess you already know. Now, go tell all your friends!! Lol. Glad you're enjoying it as much as the rest of us.
    yup, im anxious to go back to webOS.... but im waiting for the next Pre or flagship device at Sprint

i have had mogul, touch, touch pro, hero, touch pro 2, and mostly any high end smartphone Sprint has offered as well as experience with iPhones. And all i can say is that WebOS is the BEST mobile OS out there and the CES announcements was the dagger on the competition when it comes to having the "full" package. All palm needs is a more solid Pre hardware wise (Pre Plus maybe?) and a good marketing campaign before you see Palm as a real main contender if not the favorite among consumers and reviewers
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    dudrsnacks likes this.
    You have to have one to understand. Most people are like why are you so excited about your phone. People come on the forums and ask questions and easily dismiss the pre because it doesnt do the couple things they want. But hey there loss you cant explain to someone how awesome it is to just use the phone be in and out and done with it. you have to own the phone for a couple days. I feel bad for some of the people who have gotten bad pres and dismissed the phone all together.

Welcome to preland

Have you ever tried to use your friends touchphone and started doing pre gestures and been like oh wait this isnt a pre hahahahaha i have
    Welcome to the party! I've been sold since day one, and 7 months later it feels just as fresh and fun as the first time I powered on. I would really like to see Palm improve their advertising so we can hear more stories like yours. The average person knows about Android because of their attention-grabbing ads (ala Droid), and the iphone's popularity owes a lot to Apple's slick advertising, which in my opinion is the best out there. Really, if you ask 10 average people what they think about webOS, I'm sure 7 or 8 will have no idea what you're talking about. Get the pre and webOS out there and showcase it's abilities. I think it is the best looking, most user friendly OS to date, and once people see it and experience it, webOS will really take off. I'd like to see Palm put together a more solid ad campaign, and hopefully Verizon will use their reach to bring the pre and it's amazing webOS to their huge audience.
    so congrats on joining the club. You are going to love your phone, and this community is awesome! See you around.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    welcome!
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    The Pre is my first smartphone for a reason. Welcome aboard, sky is the limit!
    I want nothing more than to be this excited about WebOS and Palm in general, but I can't be there without new, more reliable hardware than the Sprint Pre.

Maybe the Plus is it, but now I also want a bigger screen and some of the Android apps I have come to love. I hope it happens, but if not...I will remain an interested observer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I want nothing more than to be this excited about WebOS and Palm in general, but I can't be there without new, more reliable hardware than the Sprint Pre.

Maybe the Plus is it, but now I also want a bigger screen and some of the Android apps I have come to love. I hope it happens, but if not...I will remain an interested observer.
    The hardware may be lacking a bit, but where are you getting you experience from? If you go by anecdotal evidence, you are really missing out; you need to experience it firsthand. And the apps will come. Look at where we've gone in the last few months! Tip calculators and evolved into Need for Speed.
    I hope you give it a chance, because I guarantee you'll never look back.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    wall of text.

but i did catch the part about the Moment having a faster processor. that's not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    wall of text.

but i did catch the part about the Moment having a faster processor. that's not true.
    not to be a di(k or anything, but if you're not going to take a minute to read something, why comment on it? just sayin'...
    The Pre and WebOs rock! Glad you agree. Welcome back!
    It's great to see all the enthusiasm here. WebOS is the best OS I have ever used as well. I walked into Best Buy today during a lunch break and started chatting with the mobile geeks there (of which most owned a Pre themselves). We got into a long conversation about what a great OS this is and I was almost late getting back to work...lol. There is no perfect phone out there...however IMHO the Palm Pre is as close to perfect as there is and will only get better in the future. Even when my power button broke, Palm lost my contacts briefly, etc I have never thought of leaving for another OS and don't foresee it in the future...I am here for the long haul...
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    not to be a di(k or anything, but if you're not going to take a minute to read something, why comment on it? just sayin'...
    that's what he said and that's what my eyes caught as i was skimming the post.

no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    The hardware may be lacking a bit, but where are you getting you experience from? If you go by anecdotal evidence, you are really missing out; you need to experience it firsthand. And the apps will come. Look at where we've gone in the last few months! Tip calculators and evolved into Need for Speed.
    I hope you give it a chance, because I guarantee you'll never look back.
    Bought a Pre on launch day. Gave up five months later after my third Pre started having screen splotches. Found a much less demanding local to sell it to.

I like the progress Palm has been making, and hope to see it greatly accelerate with the PDK. But no...neither the hardware on Sprint nor the apps are quite there yet.
    It's about time.... Lol. Enjoy! Come February we will really be loving the Pre
    I believe even with postings of those being on their 3rd Pre and such that these problems overall are a slither of the majority of Pre owners...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast