Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    that's what he said and that's what my eyes caught as i was skimming the post.

no big deal.
    right on. like i said, i wasn't trying to be a jerk. and your reply is a perfect explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanesis View Post
    You have to have one to understand. Most people are like why are you so excited about your phone. People come on the forums and ask questions and easily dismiss the pre because it doesnt do the couple things they want. But hey there loss you cant explain to someone how awesome it is to just use the phone be in and out and done with it. you have to own the phone for a couple days. I feel bad for some of the people who have gotten bad pres and dismissed the phone all together.

Welcome to preland

Have you ever tried to use your friends touchphone and started doing pre gestures and been like oh wait this isnt a pre hahahahaha i have
    JAJA, me to every time i grab my friend WM I try to swipe things out then I realize is not the pre lol,o and welcome to the Pre world. let me get back to my 3D game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    I believe even with postings of those being on their 3rd Pre and such that these problems overall are a slither of the majority of Pre owners...
    Of course it's a minority. I, too, didn't particularly care about the various design issues with the Pre...until they started happening to me.

When unit three started to go bad, my wife asked me "Why do you keep getting the same thing and expecting a new result?"

There's no answer for that. Funny thting was is that even though I was five months in, I kept getting brand new units for replacements due to the kindness of a really cool local Sprint store manager. If the new units five months later were that bad, I could only imagine with the people dealing with Asurion and the endless refurbs were going through. It's madness.

No, it doesn't affect everybody and no, it doesn't affect the majority of buyers. But that's all irrelevant when it affects you. Now that I've had a Hero for awhile, I have some other demands I need met besides build quality before I return, and Need for Speed aint one of 'em.
    my story is similar except
    i was on verizon stuck with a storm
    but since i saw the pre it was love at first sight
    the storm was ok but i wanted something more wild
    i got a iphone, unlocked on tmobile. i will rather throw my money away, than give it to big blue (at&t)
    i liked it but, not enough keep it for a year or two so i traded it for a blackberry 8520.
    i was happy until the outages happen.
    i was so f****n mad i couldnt see my calendar or facebook man i had a fit so i got a mytouch phone.
    it was awesome until i started using it, android is horrible i felt overwhelmed and not in a good way.
    i had been wanting a pre since it was released but was waiting for the updates to bug it out but i just could not live another day with android
    so i sold it and got my beautiful pre like 2 days before the ces announcement of more memory and ram to tell you the truth
    i am not jealous at all i am so happy with my pre i could never go back
    to iphone,android or blackberry i am done the gestures the multitasking synergy is awesome web os is the future i thought i had an idea of how the device worked but trust me i didn't once i had the phone is 1000 times more awesome in person so yeah i love my pre and i am out
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    The hardware may be lacking a bit, but where are you getting you experience from? If you go by anecdotal evidence, you are really missing out; you need to experience it firsthand. And the apps will come. Look at where we've gone in the last few months! Tip calculators and evolved into Need for Speed.
    I hope you give it a chance, because I guarantee you'll never look back.
    The OS is great and the best I have used on a mobile phone. The hardware on the other hand is terrible and must be fixed. I"m on my 4th phone and my power button just went non-functional. Sprint has offered to switch me into a new phone and I'm thinking I'll be going back to an Android based phone. The only thing is it's going to be hard getting used to another OS that is not as good as the WebOS.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I love seeing these "I tried the phones that most geeks want to try (on Sprint) and end up with the Pre" stories. I, too, have considered other options since last June, but I tend to wait and see if the release day hype doesn't come with post-release day realizations.

Most of the time, they do. And although the Pre is the exact same, I still feel like the OTA updates, multitasking, etc, etc, etc still put webOS and the Pre at the top.
    LOL as the most famous argument in the forum goes.."when the iphone was 6 months old..." funny to see everyones reverse response. Ecspecially after you admitted you need to patch ur pre and updates fixed ur hero problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Bought a Pre on launch day. Gave up five months later after my third Pre started having screen splotches. Found a much less demanding local to sell it to.

I like the progress Palm has been making, and hope to see it greatly accelerate with the PDK. But no...neither the hardware on Sprint nor the apps are quite there yet.
    Gimmee a break...who's hardware is better and what apps are you referring to?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by zdragon View Post
    The OS is great and the best I have used on a mobile phone. The hardware on the other hand is terrible and must be fixed. I"m on my 4th phone and my power button just went non-functional. Sprint has offered to switch me into a new phone and I'm thinking I'll be going back to an Android based phone. The only thing is it's going to be hard getting used to another OS that is not as good as the WebOS.
    What are you people doing to your phone!? I have a launch day Pre in perfect condition. I don't carry it around in my pocket for f*** sake...it's a $300 phone! It deserves a carry case so treat it like a $300 device!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    What are you people doing to your phone!? I have a launch day Pre in perfect condition. I don't carry it around in my pocket for f*** sake...it's a $300 phone! It deserves a carry case so treat it like a $300 device!
    actually, out of experience, carry casses can be worse. they buldge out making it easy for you to get it caught on something, or banged against something. depending on the case it's easier to steal, and more prone to get lost. I kept mine in stock case and it was fine in my pocket. only problem I have is the one with the crack popping up at usb door which has fallen off. thst is a defect which should be addressed as well as the extreme oreo, dead pixels, faulty screens ect. hardware was rushed but the os makes it worth it, and overall putting on a seido case minimizes the cosmetic effect of the crack, so I'll wait for my pre 2, or 3 (with the upgrades to the plus, I am almost conivinced it is a pre 2. iphones haven't changed too drastically each time either, though nost other phone models do.)
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Gimmee a break...who's hardware is better and what apps are you referring to?
    To answer the first question: Anyone who puts out a device I don't have to get replaced three times in five months.

As for the second: Shazam, Bloo, UsaToday, Slacker, Last.fm, Locale, Layar, Photoshop, ShopSaavy, Any voice functionality whatsoever....just to name a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Bought a Pre on launch day. Gave up five months later after my third Pre started having screen splotches. Found a much less demanding local to sell it to.

I like the progress Palm has been making, and hope to see it greatly accelerate with the PDK. But no...neither the hardware on Sprint nor the apps are quite there yet.
    The apps will come in time, so that's a non-starter, unless you're that impatient. However, I do hear ya about the hardware issues. I've gone through 4 pre's and finally got one that had a perfect screen. Still have the oreo and a few other minor issues, but I resolved myself to live with it because I can't see myself using any other phone or OS, and I'm confident that future iterations will (hopefully) improve the build quality of the hardware. I get your point though.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I think one big distinction to make here is that the main source of enthusiasm for most Pre fans is actually WebOS, not the Pre. The Pre itself (referring to the hardware alone) is decent, but has a lot of problems when compared to some of the other higher end offerings on other carriers, and even to the Pre Plus. The slider form factor, while unique and great for one-handed use, doesn't work so well in some situations (landscape internet browsing, anyone?). It's a reasonable compromise to have both a large screen and a physical keyboard, but I personally think a physical landscape keyboard paired with an onscreen virtual keyboard for portrait typing would be ideal. And of course, the build quality leaves quite a lot to be desired, and much of that is again tied to the slider form factor. The Pixi makes some fantastic improvements in terms of hardware, but at the cost of a slower processor and smaller screen. So, bottom line, the hardware needs some work still.

However, looking at WebOS on its own, it's hard to argue that there's a better Mobile OS on the market today in terms of combining aesthetics, capability, and ease-of-use. There are other smartphone operating systems out there that can do one or two a little better than WebOS, but not all three. It's really quite amazing what Palm has accomplished with WebOS, and I'm glad that it's WebOS that seems to be the foundation of Palm's new strategy, not the phone itself (as opposed to, say, the iPhone, where OS X Mobile and the iPhone hardware are synonymous with each other). Android does this as well to some extent, though the Android OS is becoming so divergent these days it's hard to tell sometimes that two different Android phones are even running the same OS.

As long as Palm continues to release new devices yet sticks to a unified WebOS on all of them, they could have a huge hit here. There's a happy medium between a completely unified hardware/software experience (iPhone) and wildly differing versions of the same OS for different kinds of hardware (WinMo, Android). For all 4 of the new phones Palm has released/announced since the Pre, they are all running basically the exact same operating system. If they stick to this strategy, this could spell huge success for Palm and WebOS in the future.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I did the same thing. Hero/Moment/Pre. Couldn't be happier.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12