Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I stumbled across this article....

Report: Apple prepping dual-core iPhone for April launch | TG Daily

Seeing how the Pre almost matched the 3GS in the hardware department (I think the only shortfall was the version of Power VR chip being used), I am really hoping Palm will use similar Hardware on the Pre 2, or whatever it might be called.

A dual core cpu capable of 2 Ghz!
    Removable battery
    Twice the resolution and probably AMOLED
    5 MP camera
    Video chat

If those really are the specs for the new iPhone, then the Apple ******* will feel invincible afterwards!

Please Palm...next CES....give us a Pre 2 on Sprint, and make it even better!
    how about instead of matching the competition they one-up them oh and those specs are bs even netbooks dont have 2 ghz processors
  3.    #3  
    While that would be nice, Apple has much deeper Pockets than Palm. And you know it's pretty much a gurantee the the Apple worshippers will run out in droves and lining up for city blocks to buy the next iPhone. Palm doesn't have those guarantees.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Always the iphone-complex over here.

Those specs are probably completely made up anyway..
    Palm should shoot to better than the competitor instead of matching them
    looks like everyone agrees
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Always the iphone-complex over here.

Those specs are probably completely made up anyway..
    In a way I hope they are....on the other hand, if they're not, that new iPhone will definitely push the industry forward in a hurry!

And why not the comparisons? It's David vs Goliath. The current phones have similar hardware, and I think we are about to inherit a lot of the iPhones games, which is a good thing in my book!
    because everyone is just trying to copy the iphone instead of innovating
    Increasing the CPU would also increases battery drain so someone better work on battery technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    because everyone is just trying to copy the iphone instead of innovating
    I thought the Palm webOS was an innovation. A new OS from the innovator of the smart phone.
    theyre not innovating hardware wise new os'es will always pop up but if the pre had say an 800mhz processor like the moment it would be smoother instead of just matching the iphone
    how about instead of matching the competition they one-up them oh and those specs are bs even netbooks dont have 2 ghz processors
    those specs are legit....

ARM promises dual-core Cortex A9-based smartphones next year -- Engadget

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/Cor...ard-Macro.html
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts

Apple rumor roundup: improbable removable battery edition -- Engadget

The rumor: The Korea Times, citing unnamed sources at Korea Telecom, says the carrier is planning for a 4G iPhone featuring an OLED display, a front-facing video camera, a fast new dual-core CPU, and a removable battery. General launch is expected in June, but corporate clients will be doing a "litmus test" in April.
    Our take: We will eat our hats if Apple puts a removable battery in the iPhone. Plus, Apple doesn't do focus group testing, least of all with enterprise customers. This just seems like wishful thinking -- we could have made up a more convincing rumor while eating a hat.
    well if they make an iphone with it im sure itll kick *** for all of an hour before the battery dies
    .............and I quoted articles based on processor speed. people in here were saying that the processor specs were impossible/improbable.

i must have missed the part about the battery :umm:
    well if they make an iphone with it im sure itll kick *** for all of an hour before the battery dies
    it has some nerdy battery conserving features in it, but yeah, i wish battery tech would advance. it always seems to be the holdup on a lot of wireless potential.
  17.    #17  
    Currently I think smart phones have reached certain form factors from which any deviation would probably be viewed as being gimicky. We have a slab like the iPHone and Nexus One, we have horizontal sliders like the Samsung Moment or Touch Pro 2, and we have the Pre with it's (for a smart phone) unique slider design. What else will they come up with? Motorola has that backflip, or mule kick or whatever that thing is called, to me that form factor is just weird. There is only so much that can be done hardware wise, and I think the manufacturers pretty much hit a dead end when it comes to innovation in the form factor.

Now it's all about perfecting the form factor, adding more speed and ram, and maybe a forward facing camera for video chat. webOS in itself was the big innovation, now Palm just needs to improve the hardware more and more. I don't want some crazy form factor that singles you out as the nerd in your group of friends, I want what we have now, ..... on steroids!

So sure...try and outdo the next gen iPhone, but also keep working on webOS, and of course, keep the price in check!
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    it has some nerdy battery conserving features in it, but yeah, i wish battery tech would advance. it always seems to be the holdup on a lot of wireless potential.
    the only way i see it even as a possibility is if apple completely changes their business model to allow for user changeable batteries which i dont see happening their current model is working a little too well
    It's my understanding that the Cortex A9 isn't being mass produced by anyone yet. Basically, ARM designs CPUs and then licensees can then use that CPU design as a final product, or modify it slightly.

As an example, the Snapdragon is a slightly modified A8. Apple uses a slightly modified A8. TI uses the A8 as is in the OMAP3 series.

The point is, while the designs have been done for a while, it often takes a long time for each of the individual companies to get it into production. The A8 design was finished in 05 or 06, and we didn't get any actual devices until 2009.

Personally, I doubt that we'll see anything A9 based until the end of the year (too late for Apple's general iPhone timetable) or beginning of 2011. One of the companies using the design could surprise us, but I just don't see it being ready by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Just fill your Pre with Coke. Tasty, and energizing.

Engadget Link
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast