Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    .............and I quoted articles based on processor speed. people in here were saying that the processor specs were impossible/improbable.

i must have missed the part about the battery :umm:
    I just quoted the whole rumor which Engadget puts as "wishful thinking" (totally agree). You said the "specs are legit", as in these are the next iphone specs..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I just quoted the whole rumor which Engadget puts as "wishful thinking" (totally agree). You said the "specs are legit", as in these are the next iphone specs..
    ok, and the only thing Engadget disputed was the removable battery and a focus group.
    The problem is with a brand new phone OS, you don't want a giant discrepancy in hardware between first and second generation phones because it will be difficult to develop software for them.

Are you going to design software optimized to run on 100,000 Pre 2s, or 1.5 M first gen Pres and Pixis?

They need to work on refining existing software rather than throwing the latest, greatest hardware at the new phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    theyre not innovating hardware wise new os'es will always pop up but if the pre had say an 800mhz processor like the moment it would be smoother instead of just matching the iphone
    The Moment uses an older generation of CPU. The 500Mhz chip in the Pre is faster than the 800Mhz chip in the Moment. Not all Mhz are created equal, it depends on the architecture of the chip on how much work gets done with each clock cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The problem is with a brand new phone OS, you don't want a giant discrepancy in hardware between first and second generation phones because it will be difficult to develop software for them.

Are you going to design software optimized to run on 100,000 Pre 2s, or 1.5 M first gen Pres and Pixis?

They need to work on refining existing software rather than throwing the latest, greatest hardware at the new phones.
    While I agree with you that the software needs to be worked on first and foremost, faster processors, more memory, etc, etc will make things smoother and for those of us that get a 1 year turn around time on our phones (thank you sprint), will be much happier without the lag that can't be corrected through software. I for one would be be more than happy to do an upgrade in June if it has stuff like a faster processor, more memory, more storage, better battery life, better camera with zoom and macro settings, etc. Also as far as a front facing camera is concerned, apple rumors have surfaced every single year about that (including for the first iphone) and after 3 versions of the iphone, they have still yet to add one. AT&Ts network can't support video conferencing and if Apple puts a front facing camera on the Iphone, AT&T will be faced with a TON of complaints that the front facing camera is useless. That said, I think if Palm was first to release a front facing camera, they'd get a lot of praise and Apple would be laughed at for copying Palm. I personally couldn't care less about video conferencing and would probably prefer not having it, but that would be a MAJOR bragging right for both Palm and Sprint.
    its all obviously some ******* wishful thinking, 2 core cpu 2GHz? for what? this type of way off base rumour should reside in the trash can of this community.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    its all obviously some ******* wishful thinking, 2 core cpu 2GHz? for what? this type of way off base rumour should reside in the trash can of this community.
    calm down caveman.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    calm down caveman.
    He does have a very valid point. You don't even see those kind of chips in netbooks, what in the hell makes someone think you could see that in an iPhone? Come on now people.

Someone above made a very good point, software optimization > hardware.

Ya the Pre2 better have the latest hardware specs, but they also can't rely on more speed fixing every issue. Palm has been making good optimizations with the updates and they need to continue to do so. WebOS 1.3.5.1 is better beast than 1.0, I can only imagine what 1.4 - 2.0 will be like.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    While I agree with you that the software needs to be worked on first and foremost, faster processors, more memory, etc, etc will make things smoother and for those of us that get a 1 year turn around time on our phones (thank you sprint), will be much happier without the lag that can't be corrected through software. I for one would be be more than happy to do an upgrade in June if it has stuff like a faster processor, more memory, more storage, better battery life, better camera with zoom and macro settings, etc.
    What I'm saying is that with an embedded device like a cell phone with a RISC processor, simply ramping up hardware won't have the scaling effect like upgrading a processor in a Windows machine.

You have an immense advantage in streamlining software when you know that any hardware running it will be essentially identical. When you introduce variables like a different processor (albeit faster) with a new instruction set, you may not see a performance gain without reworking of the software.

So, maybe a newer version of the same processor will be beneficial, but going out and grabbing the fastest processor for the sake of having isn't necessarily a realistic method of increasing performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    What I'm saying is that with an embedded device like a cell phone with a RISC processor, simply ramping up hardware won't have the scaling effect like upgrading a processor in a Windows machine.

You have an immense advantage in streamlining software when you know that any hardware running it will be essentially identical. When you introduce variables like a different processor (albeit faster) with a new instruction set, you may not see a performance gain without reworking of the software.

So, maybe a newer version of the same processor will be beneficial, but going out and grabbing the fastest processor for the sake of having isn't necessarily a realistic method of increasing performance.
    very fair statements, but I'm sure whatever processor next gen smartphones pick up will be at least reasonably compatible with the instruction set of the prior generation. There's no way all the mobile phone companies are going to reprogram their OS completely for every type of processor that comes out. For marketing purposes, if nothing else, Palm needs to stay at least even with Apple if not ahead. The Pre had a faster processor than the Iphone 3G and equivalent to the 3Gs. As long as Palm can continue to go down the list and check off the "yup, I have that too" boxes, there won't be anything Iphone can tout other than number of fart apps that are released.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    very fair statements, but I'm sure whatever processor next gen smartphones pick up will be at least reasonably compatible with the instruction set of the prior generation. There's no way all the mobile phone companies are going to reprogram their OS completely for every type of processor that comes out. For marketing purposes, if nothing else, Palm needs to stay at least even with Apple if not ahead. The Pre had a faster processor than the Iphone 3G and equivalent to the 3Gs. As long as Palm can continue to go down the list and check off the "yup, I have that too" boxes, there won't be anything Iphone can tout other than number of fart apps that are released.
    Oh, it will be compatible, no doubt. But there's a difference between being "compatible" and "optimized." Like with most of the updates of WebOS on the Pre they've optimized the code so that it runs better on the same hardware. Things were functional before, but now they run much better. So if you drop the current version of WebOS optimized for the Pre's current hardware into a new hardware platform, you may effectively take a step backwards. It will no doubt function with minor adjustments and there may be a slight boost in overall performance due to having a step up in power, but it would behoove you more to tailor the software specifically to that hardware.

There are a myriad of variables to consider, it's just that dropping in new hardware for a boost in performance isn't as straightforward as people may think. The groundwork for the OS is laid, now more of a matter of refining it over simply throwing new hardware at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    He does have a very valid point. You don't even see those kind of chips in netbooks, what in the hell makes someone think you could see that in an iPhone? Come on now people.

Someone above made a very good point, software optimization > hardware.

Ya the Pre2 better have the latest hardware specs, but they also can't rely on more speed fixing every issue. Palm has been making good optimizations with the updates and they need to continue to do so. WebOS 1.3.5.1 is better beast than 1.0, I can only imagine what 1.4 - 2.0 will be like.
    my caveman comment was in regards to him talking like there is no point in creating processors bigger/better/faster than what we have now. i mean, it's "just" a phone, so why advance, right?

and the A9 is very capable and will probably end up in netbooks.

with 4G coming and the potential possibilities of having that kind of data rate on a portable device, it very much makes sense to ramp up processors.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Even if those specs are true what good would it be with crappy AT&T service?
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Its pretty easy to see that is a bogus rumor. One needs to read no further than removable battery to know its a hoax.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its pretty easy to see that is a bogus rumor. One needs to read no further than removable battery to know its a hoax.
    enlighten us please.
    enlighten us please.
    There is no way Apple will put a removable battery in the next iPhone. You cant even buy a new Macbook anymore with a removable battery.
    lulz 2ghz chip haha. I would be EXTREMELY impressed if they managed to snag Tegra 2's for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    There is no way Apple will put a removable battery in the next iPhone. You cant even buy a new Macbook anymore with a removable battery.
    :umm: then by all means, the other claims are surely impossible :umm:

im not saying these are the specs of the next iPhone. im saying people are pretty quick to dismiss a device such as that would be possible. and it most certainly is. just not as an Apple.
    I think Apple would sooner go to a Snapdragon before going to one of these dual-core chips. The TI OMAP processor we have is the last wave of processors, and Snapdragon is the new wave. I doubt Apple will skip a generation, it's not cost-effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I think Apple would sooner go to a Snapdragon before going to one of these dual-core chips. The TI OMAP processor we have is the last wave of processors, and Snapdragon is the new wave. I doubt Apple will skip a generation, it's not cost-effective.
    I personally don't consider Snapdragon a new wave, it's pretty much the same as a higher clocked A8 (not entirely, but very similar). Apple already uses their own modified A8 in the 3GS.

I think the highest Snapdragon chip now is 1.3GHz, but no phone uses it yet. There's an OMAP3 that is 1GHz, so other A8 implementations can come pretty close to it.

Quite simply though, Apple has their own foundry that they use for the iPhone now (PA Semi). No way they're going to switch to a Qualcomm design in the Snapdragon.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast