1.    #1  
    I have a Pre and I work construction. I am very careful with when I have the phone on me and when it stays in my truck. It stays in a fully enclosed case so it is not exposed to the dust and grime from the job site.

Over the past month I have noticed two specific things that I believe to be cold related.

1) The battery meter will show >50% and will suddenly drop to the red zone with <10%.
    -is this cold weather related or is this a wider issue with the battery on the pre.

2) The screen is less sensitive and requires more pressure when it has been in the cold.
    - is this solely because of the cold or is this the drawback to a non-electronic sensing screen, i.e. - not the itouch screens?

I do not keep any cards running while I'm working, It would seem to me that the battery shouldn't drop drastically unless I'm running programs consistently.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by loledu21 View Post

1) The battery meter will show >50% and will suddenly drop to the red zone with <10%.
    -is this cold weather related or is this a wider issue with the battery on the pre.
    the cold weather makes the battery sleepy.

2) The screen is less sensitive and requires more pressure when it has been in the cold.
    - is this solely because of the cold or is this the drawback to a non-electronic sensing screen, i.e. - not the itouch screens?
    cold related. and both the Pre and the iPhone/iTouch have the same basic screen technology. it's capacitive and works off of the electrical impulses of your skin. try using your phone with gloves on.
    The electrical equipment and battery are both more efficient in the cold.

As far as the screen is concerned, it really should be unaffected considering it's based on electrical field displacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    The electrical equipment and battery are both more efficient in the cold.

As far as the screen is concerned, it really should be unaffected considering it's based on electrical field displacement.
    i can confirm both of his "complaints."
    I haven't noticed any difference in battery life, but screen responsiveness is worse when my phone is cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I haven't noticed any difference in battery life, but screen responsiveness is worse when my phone is cold.
    my Pre, my Pixi, my iPod and my Cowon all suffer from decreased battery life in the cold.
    My phone was less sensitive when i was in the poconos this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    My phone was less sensitive when i was in the poconos this weekend.
    it was probably just drunk on post skiing wine.
    Isn't everything diminished during cold weather?
    I can confirm screen is unresponsive if phone is cold.
    A capacitive screen relys on electrical impulses to detect where you are touching the screen. In cold weather, you skin is drier and therefore conducts electricity a bit less. Also, the cold inhibits chemical reactions, which in turn lowers the power your battery is able to supply. I would also advise that you keep your phone as warm as possible. Extreme temperature changes are never good for any electronic device.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Looks like we need a Pre designed to be used north of the 37th Parallel.
    Yup, cold weather results in less battery performance and your drier skin will have a harder time with the touch screen of the Pre (or iPhone or Droid, etc.)
    I just bought a pair of fleece "eco-tech" gloves that were "iPhone compatible" and all they have are some fine metal mesh at the tip of the index finger and tip of the thumb. Pretty neat. They work ok. (Sometimes better than my cold fingers.)

If you get them, be sure to try them on first. It might work better if you get a size smaller than normal so they fit very well and snug on your fingers (less loose material at the tips of your fingers).
    I purchased the Tavo gloves online and just received them. They work absolutely brilliantly. Very smooth, surprisingly accurate for the size. Nice to have the patches on the thumb and pointer for multi-touch purposes. Would highly recommend it to someone looking to use their phone without taking off their gloves. The only thing I would say is that they are pretty fugly, but I can deal with that.
    +1 on the gloves comment, houston we have a problem lol

Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    the cold weather makes the battery sleepy.

cold related. and both the Pre and the iPhone/iTouch have the same basic screen technology. it's capacitive and works off of the electrical impulses of your skin. try using your phone with gloves on.
    I live in north east Wisconsin and I have not had an issue with the cold, though i have only had my phone for a short time, by short time. Since Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    The only thing I would say is that they are pretty fugly, but I can deal with that.
    you could always mod your own fancy pants gloves.

SparkFun Electronics - Conductive Thread - 117/17 2ply
    ...Or use a sausage.