Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Is there any way to search for specific word on a web page? This is something I use often when browsing and I haven't been able to replicate it on the emulator...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I wish.
    no

I hope palm either improve it, or initiated cooperation with opera and Mozilla to give users more options.
    ctrl-F ;-)

nope

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Any chance you JSJSJS $geniuses$ $can$ $get$ $this$ $iPhone$ $workaround$ $working$ $for$ $us$?

How to: Search for text on any website in iPhone Safari

I'm only on an emulator and can't find the paste field into a Bookmark, so I typed that masterpiece in by hand. (of course mistyping a few times) Why don't they make those edit menus applicable anyway?

javascript:void%28s%3Dprompt%28%27Find%20text%3A%27%2C%27%27%29%29%3Bs%3D%27%28%27+s+%27%29%27%3Bx%3 Dnew%20RegExp%28s%2C%27gi%27%29%3Brn%3DMath.floor%28Math.random%28%29*100%29%3Brid%3D%27z%27%20+%20r n%3Bb%20%3D%20document.body.innerHTML%3Bb%3Db.replace%28x%2C%27%3Cspan%20name%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20 %27%20id%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20%27%20style%3D%5C%27color%3A%23000%3Bbackground-color%3Ayellow%3B%20font-weight%3Abold%3B%5C%27%3E%241%3C/span%3E%27%29%3Bvoid%28document.body.innerHTML%3Db%29%3Balert%28%27Found%20%27%20+%20document.getEle mentsByName%28rid%29.length%20+%20%27%20matches.%27%29%3Bwindow.scrollTo%280%2Cdocument.getElementsB yName%28rid%29%5B0%5D.offsetTop%29%3B
    Anyway, it didn't work. It put some interesting file download bar across the bottom of the screen.

Can anyone help?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    This sounds pretty cool if someone can figure a workaround!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Would be a nice feature to have... seems more complex than a patch could handle, but maybe it would be possible.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    ctrl-F ;-)

nope

Nice try
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Is there any way to search for specific word on a web page? This is something I use often when browsing and I haven't been able to replicate it on the emulator...
    i thought i was the only one
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbluepre View Post
    This sounds pretty cool if someone can figure a workaround!
    Oh, it's way more than just cool sounding. It's real. Palm users have been able to depend on the indispensible Palm "find" feature since last century-in fact, since even before Palm was Palm.

Of course, with Palm's new webOS touting "Universal Search," and considering all the new software technology that has come out in more than a decade since US Robotics started what became Palm, one could only imagine the future of search.

Face it, the simple palmOS "find" function only searches for words, for phrases, symbols, alpha & numeric strings, parts of words numbers in contacts, calendar, memos, notes, attachments to calendar entries, notes attached to contacts, 3rd party apps like SplashID, files, folders, tasks, 15-year-old calendar entries, and the like. Decidedly "old school Palm" stuff. PalmOS's overly simplistic "find" clearly needed to make way for 21st century high tech WEBOS! Else why would there even be a need for "Universal Search?"

Well, so what if 'Universal Search' wasn't able to do anything more at its launch last year than a single-word field search of either a contact's name or company, but heck; that's what those nifty updates are for, right?

Four or five updates later, native Pre search still cannot do the simple palmOS functions described in the 3rd paragraph. According to software engineer forums it isn't coming, either. Ever. It can't. It is apparently a physical limitation as webOS is essentially a whole bunch of widget overlays, therefore IMPOSSIBLE for it to have true universal search.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If Palm doesn't implement this themselves, then a patch like this sounds cool.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    ...Four or five updates later, native Pre search still cannot do the simple palmOS functions described in the 3rd paragraph. According to software engineer forums it isn't coming, either. Ever. It can't. It is apparently a physical limitation as webOS is essentially a whole bunch of widget overlays, therefore IMPOSSIBLE for it to have true universal search.
    Yes, yes, I got all that, but you've missed the point. I wasn't rehashing the discussion around "Universal" search. I wasn't even talking about searching through the data of a specific application (e.g. hate that you can only search the titles of tasks, not notes). I was only talking about searching within the already displayed text of a single HTML document.

Since the Pre uses webkit and javascript, I thought it logical that a variant of the iPhone workaround would work.

Please discuss Universal Search in another thread...
    Please discuss Universal Search in another thread.
    Oh, believe me, I do. In as many other threads as possible.

I was only talking about searching within the already displayed text of a single HTML document.
    Another puzzling oversight with webOS since ALL palm browsers have had this ability.
    I dunno.
    If palm thought the last 7 months of Pre complaints from their centro and treo customers was bad, those were just from little 'ol sprint--the smallest of the 3 networks. Wait 'til the palmOS users from Vz & ATT begin Pre-posting later this month. Maybe then palm'll focus on really complicated stuff like "find text on page" and web page copy/paste.
    Last edited by xpdnc; 01/13/2010 at 03:11 PM.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Thanks for taking my nagging in stride.

I am convinced that Palm is working on the complicated stuff - but in a global sense, by making sure the widgets and SDK components are very complete. A list in WebOS is great: there's search/filter, delete, grouping/sort all built in a very useful way. So if you stick to the framework they provide where possible, it'll eventually be all tied together.

When I was setting up a Droid for my parents-in-law (with freeware only), I had to go through 4 memo programs that didn't permit reasonable search of the text! In one case, the search would only return a positive if the search string was at the beginning of the word. (which was actually what the old Palm find would do - I used FindHack of course.)

I do think that Palm made an easy environment so it can be customized as needed; this is a reasonable expectation. There is no one interface that will please everyone, without at least getting into a bit more complication. I think we just haven't hit the critical number of devs needed. But I've already seen the wonders that can be accomplished by a few enthusiastic ones. Imagine a whole world of 'em!

Ok, so I've hijacked my own thread; back to business...can a javascript fix embedded in a bookmark be used as a workaround or not? ANYONE?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I must have misstyped when trying to manually make that bookmark....I loaded the page below in the emulator browser and used the first link which contained the "find in page" javascript and it worked! All search terms were highlighted...

17 powerful bookmarklets for your iPhone

Plus the I learned about these "bookmarklets" which would seem to work in the WebOS' browser as well...

Starting a new thread for the new subject...

Edit: There is a thread already. Doesn't seem to have elicited much interest though: http://forums.precentral.net/general...kmarklets.html

I'll be trying to implement the "search in text" and "open in new window" though...
    Last edited by Goyena; 01/14/2010 at 07:49 AM.
    This doesn't seem to have been looked at in a while. And I've tried searching for other threads. Surely this has to be an important feature for almost everyone regardless of how you use your phone. It stinks to have to skim a lot of text on a phone when only looking for a specific part. I know it's driving me crazy!

Am I wrong that a lot of people would want this? Would it be helpful to offer some $$? Is it even possible??
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    This doesn't seem to have been looked at in a while. And I've tried searching for other threads. Surely this has to be an important feature for almost everyone regardless of how you use your phone. It stinks to have to skim a lot of text on a phone when only looking for a specific part. I know it's driving me crazy!

Am I wrong that a lot of people would want this? Would it be helpful to offer some $$? Is it even possible??
    Palm understands that some features are not currently supported. This type of feature request has been forwarded to our engineering department for consideration/review. Customer input is an important consideration when we make enhancements and introduce new features. Changes such as this are delivered automatically by our over-the-air update system.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts