1.    #1  
    So, anyone know what the chances of getting 1.3.5.2 in the U.S.? I would really like the Bluetooth tethering ability.

Is this a Sprint thing? Not allowing us to do tethering at all?
    it's odd because Sprint let me tether with my BB Curve for no extra cost.
    Sprint does not sell a PAM (Phone as modem) plan. In the user agreement they state that doing so is against the rules. Therefore dont look to Palm for a tethering app.

Look to homebrew. I have a feeling that once the Verizon Pre ROM and the European 1.3.5.2 ROM get torn apart by the HomeBrewers we are going to have a great tether app.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have to say that as european I love this thread
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    The days of all you can eat pricing are ending, and days of tiered pricing are just around the corner.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Sprint does not sell a PAM (Phone as modem) plan. In the user agreement they state that doing so is against the rules. Therefore dont look to Palm for a tethering app.
    Is this not bad for Palm though? Think about all the variations that carriers around the world will have, how can Palm maintain different versions of webOS for each?

So, is Sprint the only carrier that will not allow tethering this way? Everyone other carrier in the world will?

Note: this is NOT a MIFI tether like VZW will have, this is simple bluetooth tethering. It is just a bluetooth profile.
    I would doubt we go to 1.3.5.2, but rather to a 1.4.x. I would also think that grabbing the MiFi software from the Verizon WebOS Doctor would be better than Bluetooth tethering.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I would doubt we go to 1.3.5.2, but rather to a 1.4.x. I would also think that grabbing the MiFi software from the Verizon WebOS Doctor would be better than Bluetooth tethering.
    I agree entirely, but it'll probably need to be modified.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Then you most likely had the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) add-on. I'm not 100% positive but I'd say that tethering ability was a requirement from RIM. I too had a BB once with the BES add-on and tethering was available for no additional cost. Drop that back to a BIS (personal) setup and you would lose the tethering.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Is this forum completly out of wack or what. The pre has been bluetooth tethering from day one the euros are way behind us. Mytether.net is old new and I've been using my pre as a mifi since august09. The Sprint pre has been doing all these things from the jump. Go to youtube and type in "Palm Pre Bluetooth". I put that up a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastdaysoldier View Post
    Is this forum completly out of wack or what. The pre has been bluetooth tethering from day one the euros are way behind us. Mytether.net is old new and I've been using my pre as a mifi since august09. The Sprint pre has been doing all these things from the jump. Go to youtube and type in "Palm Pre Bluetooth". I put that up a long time ago.
    One, it's not authorized like the VZW app will be or like this is.

Two, MyTether hacks up the OS and has caused issue after issue starting with 1.2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Only one way to find out if it works....

Actually, when us Canucks were stuck on 1.3.1 and you Yanks were on 1.3.5, I got impatient and made my own WebOSDoctor using the Bell jar file with the WebOS from the Sprint one. Worked like a Charm! Of course, I had to Doctor again when Bell finally released 1.3.5.1 because they skipped 1.3.5 and my phone wouldn't recognize the update.

So, take the 1.3.5.2 WebOS.tar and stick it in the 1.3.5.1 Sprint Doctor file. Somebody has to be willing to try it...
  13.    #13  
    Hmmm, doesn't work for me. My IBM ThinkPad WinXP laptop tries to connect using BT NAP but comes back and says my Pre doesn't support it...
    My Pre (v1.3.5.2) doesn't find my laptop, unfortunately. Is it supposed to just work?
    Check out Movie Diary.
    My guess is Sprint did not want to tether the Pre so as not to "eat into" possible MiFi and USB "card" device sales. My guess is that with Verizon offering such an alternative, that Sprint will likely follow suit (especially if the Verizon "MiFi on a Pre" tethering option is successful, or if it can be "hacked" onto Sprint for free).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I have to disagree with you on part of this...you are correct in saying that bluetooth tethering has worked since day one...however, you left part of it out...you shoudl have added "for some people." Since 1.3.1 I have not been able to get bluetooth tethering or MyTether to work at all....I even went as far as doctoring my Pre and testing both solutions...I may not know all the answers...but I know what I am doing.

I will be glad when the Vz solution can be ported to the Sprint Pre!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The days of all you can eat pricing are ending, and days of tiered pricing are just around the corner.
    Which is why I won't change my contract..
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    So, take the 1.3.5.2 WebOS.tar and stick it in the 1.3.5.1 Sprint Doctor file. Somebody has to be willing to try it...
    Someone please try this.. I'm too scared!