Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think Palm tries to be too creative. WebOS sells itself if you make it the star of the commercial. IMO.. A little show and tell might be in order before being aggressive which btw..doesn't seem to fit the image Palm tries to portray.
    exactly. show and tell is what they need. webos totally sells itself. people just don't get how it works, they're like "oh, my blackberry can multitask too..." hahahaha -not the same.

i agree that being aggressive doesn't seem like Palm. they just need to show off their OS, and do it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    Anyone else think it's time for Palm to start putting out iDon't (droid) style ads comparing the pre to the iphone, or "i'm a pre (i'm a mac/i'm a pc) style ads to simply outline all the things the pre can do that the iphone can't (i think the 2nd one would be especially effective for sprint showing that the pre has the capability of doing a lot of the stuff the iphone can, but's it's wayyy cheaper).

Any thoughts?
    No. WebOS can stand on its own merit. They just need to focus their ads on what the thing can *DO*

- synergy
    - gestures
    - synergy
    - multitasking
    - synergy
    - luna interface in general
    - synergy
    - new 3d games
    - unobtrusive notifications
    - synergy

Did I mention synergy?

It's a shame they really can't market based on the work that WebOS Internals does, but if the ads would focus on what makes this phone what it is, that would be a good start.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    No. WebOS can stand on its own merit. They just need to focus their ads on what the thing can *DO*

- synergy
    - gestures
    - synergy
    - multitasking
    - synergy
    - synergy
    - new 3d games
    - synergy

Did I mention synergy?

It's a shame they really can't market based on the work that WebOS Internals does, but if the ads would focus on what makes this phone what it is, that would be a good start.
    My point is that palm should show off all those things. Whether you like it or not, the iphone is considered the standard by the average user. If palm can show it's just as easy to use as the iphone AND more functional, it would go a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    There's always going to be someone else doing 'that'. You can't get away from it and it produces mindshare. WebOS will standout when folks go into the store to use the UI versus using the UI of another phone. Palm can do a multitasking commercial but they also need those other two commercials I mentioned in my previous post so that they can reach several different demographics as you mentioned Apple does.
    But expressly shows that if you have a compelling product, you don't NEED to suck up to every demographic. And given Palm's still limited revenue, making the most out of each advertising dollar is a much smarter play than throwing ads against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Finally, the last sales figures provided by Palm, which included three weeks of Pixi sales at launch, didn't exactly show WebOS devices flying off the shelves (six figures of unsold inventory = not good). Obviously, something needs to change. A single, definitive campaign showing off WebOS services all Palm devices across all platforms, and it would be the differentiator Palm needs to break out of the "Me too!" pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But expressly shows that if you have a compelling product, you don't NEED to suck up to every demographic. And given Palm's still limited revenue, making the most out of each advertising dollar is a much smarter play than throwing ads against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Finally, the last sales figures provided by Palm, which included three weeks of Pixi sales at launch, didn't exactly show WebOS devices flying off the shelves (six figures of unsold inventory = not good). Obviously, something needs to change. A single, definitive campaign showing off WebOS services all Palm devices across all platforms, and it would be the differentiator Palm needs to break out of the "Me too!" pack.
    Well, marketing to different demos is important. Once again, do folks watching Gossip Girl, The Hills, The City really care about multitasking? I would prolly not. Which is fine. Just show them a commercial with the cool music and some brief swiping. Target the other commercials to the demo that cares about working within multiple cards.

Sure something needs to change and Palm is making an effort. They're moving from having just one carrier in Sprint to have two additional ones in ATT and Big Red. However, the brand awareness will only come with the definitive campaign as you mentioned. However, this campaign must touch different demos and ATT and Red have to make a strong push for the devices.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Well, marketing to different demos is important. Once again, do folks watching Gossip Girl, The Hills, The City really care about multitasking? I would prolly not. Which is fine. Just show them a commercial with the cool music and some brief swiping. Target the other commercials to the demo that cares about working within multiple cards.
    But you missed my original point. Palm has to MAKE them care in order to succeed. The Pre, and WebOS, is about new ideas on a new operating system getting new customers, some of whom have no idea how a Pre would benefit them.

To use your example, would folks looking at the Super Bowl three years ago really care about apps on a mobile device? They would "prolly not." If anything, they'd care about a svelte, futuristic clamshell like the RAZR. The general public - THEN - didn't care much about what the thing did besides playing ringtones and making phone calls. Apple said, you know what...that's not fine. Let's make them care, give ourselves a huge differentiator and revenue stream beyond just selling the handset, and let's take this thing over.

Forward to 2009...that's exactly what they did. Palm has to be looking ahead with that sort of vision for WebOS. It's there in the design of the OS. It needs to be there in the ads.

Hitting different demos is fine, but you still have to have a unified message of what you're showcasing. How many different ad campaigns is, say, Geico running now?

- One with the cavemen
    - One with the gecko
    - One with the serious spokesguy introducing people like Charlie Daniels
    - One with the pile of money following people everywhere
    - Who knows what else?

You'd think that's crazy, but they ALL boil down to "Save 15 percent or more..."

What message has Palm put across in ANY of their Pre or Pixi ads?

....?
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But again...someone else's ads ALREADY do that. WebOS needs to stand apart, not just be yet another colorful, touchscreen, iPhone-esque choice for buyers.

Palm needs to make people care about visual multitasking the same way. Roger MacNamee repeatedly says that the Pre (and by extension, WebOS) is for busy people trying to get things done. Gosh, visual multitasking might help with that goal. Where could we explain that to people to make them interested in the device....hmmmmm.....dunno.
    thanks , This was the point cardfan talked ( rather beat to death).

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think Palm tries to be too creative. WebOS sells itself if you make it the star of the commercial. IMO.. A little show and tell might be in order before being aggressive which btw..doesn't seem to fit the image Palm tries to portray.
    PALM should go after RIMM not APPLE or GOOGLE or anyone.
    Show and tell targeting a RIMM user will be a mega hit.

RIMM has sold more phones than iPhone, and for the most part they are not touchscreen.

Which means internet sucks on them.
    No touchscreen , so can't play 3D games.
    No visual multitasking.

Only thing the BB does better is that email and the keyboard which both the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus have.

PALM can sell millions of their phones if they can target the non business RIMM customers.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post

- synergy
    - gestures
    - synergy
    - multitasking
    - synergy
    - synergy
    - new 3d games
    - synergy
    The touchstone would be a cool thing to wow people with as well..
    if palm would make a commercial showing someone playing nfs and the sims along with some of its better features i think it would help sales alot. it might be kinda cool if they allowed pre owners to upload videos of themselves using the phone to palm's website then maybe use the good ones in a commercial, that would make for some cheap commercials since they dont have much advertising money
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    if palm would make a commercial showing someone playing nfs and the sims along with some of its better features i think it would help sales alot. it might be kinda cool if they allowed pre owners to upload videos of themselves using the phone to palm's website then maybe use the good ones in a commercial, that would make for some cheap commercials since they dont have much advertising money
    i think that's a great idea! i thought about filming myself using the phone, and sending it in, and asking them why they don't just show people how it works? it will sell it's slef, if people are aware of how great it is.
    i'm willing to bet that they care about multitasking in the way that i do: twitter, messaging (synergy and threaded messages across different platforms is AWESOME), emailing, and being on FB and MS, all at the same time. multitasking can be important in an ultra-connected socially sort of way, not just a business user way. with the sort of ADD that some in the aforementioned demographic may be prone to, i would think that they'd be all over this sort of multitasking.
    Do you think it's possible Palm is waiting for the app catalog to be expanded a little more before an aggressive WebOS ad campaign?

Not necessarily twenty or thirty thousand apps, but a good amount of flagship apps and 3D games that are more robust than most of the apps available now.

I could see Palm shooting itself in the foot by touting how many apps you can run at once, but then potential customers that really don't know about WebOS balking saying, "What's the point of running a bunch at the same time if I can have this or that app like (insert other platform here)?"

I'm mean it's easy pickings for Android or Apple to go after Palm with their giant app libraries. That's way easier for potential customers to understand and potentially bury WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    I am so on board with this idea, who knows more how great this OS is than Pre Fans. The other day my boss was fumbling through his business cards looking for the number of our territory rep. I went to their website, looked for 'contact us' and came back with "Do you want his Cell, Office, or email?". He looked stupified. Right after that we walked out of his office and talked to the girl from AP she asked where the nearest Domino's was. I of course gave her the closest, how to get there and their phone number. This is how the commercials should be...
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 01/12/2010 at 05:51 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12