1. e40
    I want to get a Pre (on Verizon, when it comes out). However, I won't get one unless there is an application that allows me to control the ringer based on the time of day.

You need a Pre to search the app store.

Deadlock.

Is there an app that allows me to do this? Ideally, it would allow fine control over what happens when a call or text comes in during specific times (like at work). I'd like to set the phone to vibrate at those times.

Thanks.
    Nope, not yet!
    1. i did not know a any phone had this option

2. there is a switch on top to allow you to put it on vibrate or ring at your leisure. i guess forgetting about switching it over would suck but i would assume you would just get used to it till some one created an app.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    1. i did not know a any phone had this option

2. there is a switch on top to allow you to put it on vibrate or ring at your leisure. i guess forgetting about switching it over would suck but i would assume you would just get used to it till some one created an app.
    Buzzard, my Motorola I560 was able to set alarms which automatically changed the "profile." The profile allowed different things to be set: ringer, background, volumes. The alarm was also allowed to be silent. My pager (yes, I still have to use one of those) has an automatic setting for "quiet time" I receive pages, but it doesn't go off.

Yes, it is an option that I would like. I haven't requested it anywhere, and not inclined towards writing it. + now that it has been mentioned, there is a possibility that the great homebrew crowd may develop.
    I can't find the link yet, but there is a way to view the Pre's apps online, not through a Pre.

As to your idea for an app, I LOVE it! I know it wasn't your idea per se, but I love the concept of ring tone changes by time of day.
    Here's the link to view the app catalog from your PC.

http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by jac-3 View Post
    Buzzard, my Motorola I560 was able to set alarms which automatically changed the "profile." The profile allowed different things to be set: ringer, background, volumes. The alarm was also allowed to be silent. My pager (yes, I still have to use one of those) has an automatic setting for "quiet time" I receive pages, but it doesn't go off.

Yes, it is an option that I would like. I haven't requested it anywhere, and not inclined towards writing it. + now that it has been mentioned, there is a possibility that the great homebrew crowd may develop.

There are actually a number of apps like this available for on the Blackberry platform. There are even a couple of apps that will automatically change your profile based on your gps location, which is even better than changing your profile based on the time in my opinion. That's pretty surprising that a feature like that is enough to stop you from getting the Pre. Honestly since the pre has the hardware switch that allows you to change to vibrate that seems as easy as it can get.
    I could see some value in a ringer control app. I sometimes miss the ability to use ringer profiles from the blackberry days. Would be nice to setup profiles on different ways the ringers/notifications are configured and then easily switch between them.
  9. e40
    FWIW, there are several Android apps that do this. If I don't find a Pre app, I will buy an Android phone.

Why is this so important? My wife sets her phone to vibrate because she doesn't want it to ring at work. She refuses to ever have the ringer on, because she when she forgets to turn it off at the beginning of the day she will get a (loud) phone call. As a result, I can never get a hold of her, because she never hears the vibration in her purse.

This is a deal breaker for me, even though I've been with Palm since the Treo 650.

@sjamie does that search *all* available apps, or a subset?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    e40, I know that this is an old thread, but I have been using Mode Switcher by Sconix, for a month or two (I followed the thread for a month or two before I took the plunge).
    I think you'll find that MS does what you want, and more.
    It is an awesome app, but still in Beta.
    there is an app called ringwhere beta that allows you to set ringtones based on gps location
    Another vote for Mode Switcher. I have a Work Mode that cuts volume in half but you could just as easily set it to vibrate only.