Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    This isnt an I love/hate my pre thread or anything I was just sitting thinking this morning so I though I would see what others think. I first heard about the pre at the start of 2009 in a gadget magazine I often read. The phone was branded the iphone killer (as many are). Straight away it got my attention, as being a previous iphone user it had features which I found lacking on the iphone such as the keyboard and multitasking but its UI looked really nice easily as good if not better than the iphone. Anyway, after its release it was slated as being a bit of an anticlimax with all the missing features such as a decent sdk, video recording, even message forwarding and due to this I found myself considering going back to a winmo phone or an iphone.
    After CES though, seeing what 1.4 brings I think this puts it straight back in the running with the iphone. In my opinion the only thing seperating them once the 1.4 update hits is the volume and quality of apps but with the new SDK I dont see this seperation lasting long.

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I've used all the iPhones till now and in a span of three years and can surely say Palm Pre is way better... iPhone is greater only because of its developers and application market. If Palm can achieve the same, I'm sure it will be #1... needless to say we can expect an improvement in its position after Flash 10.1 releases.
    Last edited by Jibreil; 01/12/2010 at 09:18 AM.
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    ░▒▓█ ROM date ► 11/01/2010
    ░▒▓█ Radio ► GSM Pre Unlocked
    ░▒▓█ Jailbroken ► Preware + WebOS Quick Install
    ░▒▓█ Provider ► AirTel, Mumbai, India.
    ░▒▓█ Supported ► Palm Profile, GPRS, Dial, SMS, MMS, Voicemail, Tethering via USB + Bluetooth
    Let's just not feed the trolls in this one. The other thread about this got WAY out of hand. I do agree that the Pre is finally living up to hype/potential. Very excited about the next few months of WebOS.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    being an ex-iphone user I have to say I'm very looking forward to 1.4. It will without doubt be on par if not better than the latest iphone. The WebOS is simply stunning and a pleasure to use.

I'm just waiting for a GPS app and my life will be complete !..

Steve
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    bluetooth needs to be open and there needs to be document editing but yes once again the pre is indeed thee iPhone killer Deal with it apple Trolls LOL
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    bluetooth needs to be open and there needs to be document editing but yes once again the pre is indeed thee iPhone killer Deal with it apple Trolls LOL
    Bluetooth is the same as the iPhone. Only if jailbreak you can file transfer via iBluetooth.

Whereas the Palm Pre supports much more Bluetooth protocols than iPhone 3GS
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    ░▒▓█ Supported ► Palm Profile, GPRS, Dial, SMS, MMS, Voicemail, Tethering via USB + Bluetooth
    Much more means .. two?
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Iphone Killers .............. meh! People who like the iphone will buy iphones, I happen not to particularly like the iphone - I like my Pre, each to his/ her own.
    I got my Pre on 6-6-09 and I aways thought the pre was an iphone killer, they both have pros and cons, but the pres cons where to be addressed in updates and the iphones cons where here to stay. There's never going to be a purfect phone. They all have something there missing or can do better.

My iPhone having friends really didn't evan have much over my old Treo, but I allways got a "can your treo do this?" at whitch point most of the time, it could and I would resond with a "Yes, but only sense Like 5 years ago...lol"

Anyway, though I allways had an app to match, or a feture they didn't. They never stoped trying to compare...... That is, until the Pre came out. Then they all of a sudden didn't want to play the whos phone is better game, and some evan now have a Pre or a Pixi, and now refer to there old iphones now as the *****/Ignorant phones.....lol :-D

yes I went there!!!
    For me, it's not about being an iPhone killer, as purchasing decisions are as much about style and fashion as about spec. Rather, it's about keeping competitive enough to remain a player in the market, ensuring its continued existence and developer support so that future versions remain viable.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    For me, it's not about being an iPhone killer, as purchasing decisions are as much about style and fashion as about spec. .
    oh I agree totally on this, ive never bought something just because everyone else is and I dont particularly care if the pre beats the iphone or not, I dont dislike the iphone or anything, in fact I think its a nice bit of kit.
    I just see iphone killer banded about a lot and the pre had this title removed after its release but the upcoming updates really push this phone ahead of the pack and I was curious if people thought it would regain its badge
    there is still a way to go, but its good to hear that 1.4 will fix some of the big issues
    Now if only the Palm Pre Plus was the model they gave to us in europe instead of the original! that would have fixed a few other issues
    I would prefer the Pre NOT to be the iPhone killer. We've got this wonderfully exclusive little phone and a nice little group of dedicated followers who drink tea together on Friday afternoons. Why ruin that pretty picture?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I would prefer the Pre NOT to be the iPhone killer. We've got this wonderfully exclusive little phone and a nice little group of dedicated followers who drink tea together on Friday afternoons. Why ruin that pretty picture?
    because tea drinking and eating crumpets isnt going to bring us the swanky apps Ive always been a fan of owning something unusual or uncommon but ive always found when it comes to technology thats its a nightmare trying to get things to work with it or finding software for it.

Theres a lot of **** in the app store on the iphone but Id love to have a few of those apps on my nice pre
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    That's just sweet dude
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    Theres a lot of **** in the app store on the iphone but Id love to have a few of those apps on my nice pre
    Want more aps? Start coding!

I would like a few of the little for humor aps. Need to figure out how to do image manipulation stuff in Java, but don't know where to start.

I'm working on an app, but it is for a small market... Beer Knurds. Problem I have right now is that it responds to slow and I still don't have access to the FS Beer Knurd server Gonna try and look into the contacts app and/or preware to see what they do to speed up big lists. If I set the render limit high enough to make scrolling smooth, menu speed goes to crap and vise versa.

We drink beer on Wednesdays in my area. Well, at least the few Pre owners I know.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/12/2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Want more aps? Start coding!
    Indeed. I dare say that the majority of this community has the same philosophy as the OSS community. That is, after all, what WebOS is also built upon.

Contribute!

No time to write the app yourself, or lack skill? Ideas and documentation are just as important. Post 'em!!!

A couple of simple ones I may start working on, but feel free to beat me to it:
    - vanity phone number dialler. I sure wish the pre acted like the blackberry and you could spell out phone numbers, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$'$t$? $An$ $app$ $to$ $do$ $this$ $then$ $either$ $dial$ $or$ $copy$ $to$ $clipboard$ $would$ $be$ $great$!
    - IP subnet calculator. Options to specify the number of hosts you need to create the subnet, CIDR to mask, etc. Things a day-to-day network/firewall admin would need.

Again, simple apps, I just don't have the time right now. Others may have some other ideas for a bored programmer to take on and contribute to the community. Developers of existing apps have been more than receptive to my ideas for improvement as well!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    The apps I want are satnav apps and games. No amount of coding from me is going to bring them to the pre but a larger community would attract businsses who do provide these apps to the pre.
    Is it important for you if the pre is a iPhone killer? I just like my pre more than my iPhone. Both are great devices. It depends on what you want to do.
    Well for me the pleasures in life are not about having everything, but having something special. I've got this huge Blazer that feels snug and I've got this tiny Pre that feels grand. I wouldn't trade them for a VW/Skoda or iPhone/WM, even if they held a skunk to my nose.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast