Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Well, I recently swapped my old Pre for a new one at my local Sprint Store, and now I'm trying to install some patches on the new Pre, and now I can't connect.

And before you ask
    - Yes, My Phone Is On Developer Mode
    - I Uninstalled and Then Reinstalled Novacom
    - I Have WebOS 2.96 and WebOS Doctor Installed In The Same Directory
    - I Restarted My Computer and Phone Numerous Times
    - Yes I Selected "Just Charge" rather than Media Sync and USB Drive.
    - And yeah, Java is updated to the latest.
    - I followed MortiseMaker's 24 Page Guide to no avail..

This is really frustrating, is it possible that the new Pres don't support homebrewing, that the developer mode is modified in such a way so as to not install homebrews or that the WebOS Quick Install can't detect it? That would really suck if thats the case...

So everytime I try to add a homebrew file to my phone I get the following error:

ERROR: No Device Detected

Novocom is running correctly, according to this command in the Command Prompt:

sc query novacomd

So I've given up with WebOS QuickInstall, are there any ways to install Preware and fileCoaster manually through a command without the QuickInstall? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad788 View Post
    Well, I recently swapped my old Pre for a new one at my local Sprint Store, and now I'm trying to install some patches on the new Pre, and now I can't connect.

And before you ask
    - Yes, My Phone Is On Developer Mode
    - I Uninstalled and Then Reinstalled Novacom
    - I Have WebOS 2.96 and WebOS Doctor Installed In The Same Directory
    - I Restarted My Computer and Phone Numerous Times
    - Yes I Selected "Just Charge" rather than Media Sync and USB Drive.
    - And yeah, Java is updated to the latest.
    - I followed MortiseMaker's 24 Page Guide to no avail..

This is really frustrating, is it possible that the new Pres don't support homebrewing, that the developer mode is modified in such a way so as to not install homebrews or that the WebOS Quick Install can't detect it? That would really suck if thats the case...

So everytime I try to add a homebrew file to my phone I get the following error:

ERROR: No Device Detected

Novocom is running correctly, according to this command in the Command Prompt:

sc query novacomd

So I've given up with WebOS QuickInstall, are there any ways to install Preware and fileCoaster manually through a command without the QuickInstall? Thanks.
    You either need WebOS Quick Install to be working, or be able to get to the Linux command line on the Pre, to install Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I am not sure where to post this but i have a MAJOR problem now. It seems that EPR didn't fully put things back the way they needed to be when I ran it. Unfortunately, i didn't check to see if the phone would ask me to charge or usb when I plugged it into the computer before I did a partial erase. The problem I have now is that when I plug in my pre to the PC, it charges automatically with no options of charge or USB and because of the partial erase, preware doesn't exist and I am stuck. Is there anything I can do OTA or am I going to have to get a new pre?

Thanks for your help as always.
    Why are you using WebOS Quick Install version 2.96? The current version is 3.02.
    If you are writing to me, I am using webOS quick install v3.02, the latest webOS doctor, preware installer, and/or webOS repair utility all don't find my pre. The problem, I am pretty sure is related to the just charge by default patch. I believe EPR didn't uninstall the patch correctly, and now my prewareless pre will only charge by default, without choices or a way to get to the USB connection. I have since done a full erase with no luck. My guess is webOSdoctor will fix it or getting preware on my device will fix it, but without any computer seeing my phone, I can't figure out how to install or run either.
    Last edited by freepre; 04/13/2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: decided to elaborate more
    Quote Originally Posted by freepre View Post
    If you are writing to me, I am using webOS quick install v3.02, the latest webOS doctor, preware installer, and/or webOS repair utility all don't find my pre. The problem, I am pretty sure is related to the just charge by default patch. I believe EPR didn't uninstall the patch correctly, and now my prewareless pre will only charge by default, without choices or a way to get to the USB connection. I have since done a full erase with no luck. My guess is webOSdoctor will fix it or getting preware on my device will fix it, but without any computer seeing my phone, I can't figure out how to install or run either.
    Sorry, I was responding to the OP. You hijacked his/her thread.

@freepre -- which patch did not uninstall? Why do you need to get to the USB connection? Is Quick Install recognizing your phone? If so, why can't you re-install Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Sorry, I was responding to the OP. You hijacked his/her thread.

@freepre -- which patch did not uninstall? Why do you need to get to the USB connection? Is Quick Install recognizing your phone? If so, why can't you re-install Preware?
    I know i hijacked it, I was just looking for some place that was the closest to my issue to state my problem.

I ran emergency patch recover (EPR) which should have uninstalled all my patches.
    <br>
    webOS quick install v3.02, the latest webOS doctor, preware installer, and/or webOS repair utility all do NOT recognize my phone.

<br>that is my problem. I am stuck beyond stuck.
    I know i hijacked it, I was just looking for some place that was the closest to my issue to state my problem.

I ran emergency patch recover (EPR) which should have uninstalled all my patches.
    <br>
    webOS quick install v3.02, the latest webOS doctor, preware installer, and/or webOS repair utility all do NOT recognize my phone.

<br>that is my problem. I am stuck beyond stuck.
    Have you rebooted both your phone and your computer? Do you have developer mode on? Is novacom installed and running on your computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Have you rebooted both your phone and your computer? Do you have developer mode on? Is novacom installed and running on your computer?
    Yes, rebooted both. Yes dev mode on. Yes, novacom installed fine and running. I have tried 2 other pre's and my computer finds their phones just fine.
    I'm having the same problem to. I'm trying to find help to webosdoctor won't reconize my pre either.
    Use the volume up + power recovery method.

It's listed on the webos-internals.org wiki under Recovery.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Use the volume up + power recovery method.

It's listed on the webos-internals.org wiki under Recovery.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod for the personal touch. If you mean this:

After the download is complete, launch webOS Doctor:

1. Select you language
    2. Accept the license agreement
    3. Connect your Pre to you PC via USB and select "Next" when it becomes available

After completion the device will reboot and present you with the activation set-up.

If your PC does not recognize your Pre and you cannot go past step 3 above, try the following steps:

1. With the USB cable connected, completely power off the Pre (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
    2. Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
    3. While holding the Up button, power on the Pre
    4. "Next" should now be enabled - proceed with the recovery

The above steps will put the Pre into bootloader recovery mode and should allow the PC to recognize your device and proceed with the restore. In this mode the screen will display a giant USB logo instead of the usual Palm startup logo.

- I had to use the up volume and DO see the giant USB but webosdoc and my computer don't flinch. - still nothing.
    Thanks Rod for the personal touch. If you mean this:

After the download is complete, launch webOS Doctor:

1. Select you language
    2. Accept the license agreement
    3. Connect your Pre to you PC via USB and select "Next" when it becomes available

After completion the device will reboot and present you with the activation set-up.

If your PC does not recognize your Pre and you cannot go past step 3 above, try the following steps:

1. With the USB cable connected, completely power off the Pre (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
    2. Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
    3. While holding the Up button, power on the Pre
    4. "Next" should now be enabled - proceed with the recovery

The above steps will put the Pre into bootloader recovery mode and should allow the PC to recognize your device and proceed with the restore. In this mode the screen will display a giant USB logo instead of the usual Palm startup logo.

- I had to use the up volume and DO see the giant USB but webosdoc and my computer don't flinch. - still nothing.
    That proves that your computer is at fault, not the Pre or any software running on the Pre.

-- Rod
    That proves that your computer is at fault, not the Pre or any software running on the Pre.

-- Rod
    I understand what you are saying, and normally would agree with you in a second, but i have tried 2 of my friend's pre's and the functionality is perfect.

The computer recognizes them fine. My computer has never had an issue with finding my pre until I ran EPR and then did a partial erase.

Are you saying there is NO WAY that EPR didn't uninstall the 'charge by default' patch correctly, and now my prewareless pre will only charge by default, without choices or a way to get to the USB connection which if EPR did run correctly, it should be asking me to just charge?
    I understand what you are saying, and normally would agree with you in a second, but i have tried 2 of my friend's pre's and the functionality is perfect.

The computer recognizes them fine. My computer has never had an issue with finding my pre until I ran EPR and then did a partial erase.

Are you saying there is NO WAY that EPR didn't uninstall the 'charge by default' patch correctly, and now my prewareless pre will only charge by default, without choices or a way to get to the USB connection which if EPR did run correctly, it should be asking me to just charge?
    I'm making no statements about the state of the software on your device.

All I'm saying is that if your computer's webOS Doctor cannot detect the device in vol-up recovery mode, then the computer is not running the webOS Doctor correctly.

-- Rod
    I'm making no statements about the state of the software on your device.

All I'm saying is that if your computer's webOS Doctor cannot detect the device in vol-up recovery mode, then the computer is not running the webOS Doctor correctly.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I have tried the vol-up recovery mode on 2 other computers and nada.

any other suggestions?
    Rod,

I have tried the vol-up recovery mode on 2 other computers and nada.

any other suggestions?
    The vol-up recovery mechanism invokes a recovery mode in the bootloader. None of the actual linux software or operating system has been loaded at that point, so there is no way that changes to the linux software or operating system can affect the vol-up recovery mechanism.

You should post a message that precisely (and I mean every single little step, leaving out no detail no matter who insignificant) details how you are attempting to get these three computers to talk to your device.

For a start, you're posting in a thread that references WebOS Quick Install 2.96, which is way out of date and will not work with any device running webOS 1.3.5 or later. You should really start a new thread so that people don't immediately assume you're using 2.96 and dismiss your problem out of hand due to that.

Secondly, you haven't told us whether you are using a Windows, Linux or MacOS PC, or what version of the operating system you have installed on it. Nor have you described what software you have installed on that computer (other than WebOS Quick Install 3.02) - e.g. which version of the webOS Doctor are you using, how are the novacom drivers installed, etc)

-- Rod
    Rod,

Thanks for all you help. I just ended up taking it to the sprint store, and and hour and half later, they gave me a shiny new phone. The new phone connects like a charm.

Thanks for you patience.
    Rod,

Thanks for all you help. I just ended up taking it to the sprint store, and and hour and half later, they gave me a shiny new phone. The new phone connects like a charm.

Thanks for you patience.
    No worries, mate. Glad you were able to get it sorted out.

-- Rod
    please don't tell me i must get a new phone... i'm having the same problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast