1.    #1  
    Sprint better come out with a pre 3!! I want to blow verizons pre away!! Any rumors out there about sprint coming out with an updated version of pre
    Why do you want to blow verisons pre away?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Agreed... it isn't a big deal. Just like most electronics, there are bound to be slight design changes between carriers. This is just a slight 'bump' up in device design, not the actual "Pre2" device. Sprint will have a new unit out this summer. It isn't a big thing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Because he's the "Bronx Bomber," of course.
    If you want to see more investment from Palm (SDK) and especially developers, you will be glad WebOS devices are going to more carriers. WebOS on more carriers is increasing the user base, making it more tempting for developers to make better programs/games.

I know there would have been a good chance we wouldn't have the recent 3D games from EA in the App Catalog if Palm had no plan to increase their user base to Verizon and AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Because he's the "Bronx Bomber," of course.
    My experience (not only with the Pre, but with other software, devices, operating systems, etc) is that what other users use doesn't affect my stuff. At least, not directly, and not for a long time...
    YMMV of course.

Now, if you bought the device as an ego trip, there are far better "me-too" choices...
    In today's day and age any electronic device is almost obsolete in six to twelve months. Anyone who believes that every device in the coming year(s) on other carriers is going to be exactly like the phone on Sprint's network has not had much involvement in the electronic industry.

I don't say this to be mean or non sympathetic towards your complaint, but the fact is there is bound to be upgrades. Who knows if Palm manufactures a different model of device it might go to Sprint first..and it might be better than the Pre or Pixi on Verizon, but in all likelihood in a year after that, whether it is a Palm device or another manufacturers there is going to be something better possibly on another network. Sometimes you have to just be happy with what you got, and if your not jump ship, whether that is to another carrier or to another manufacturer, but don't think you are not just jumping into the same boat, just painted a different color.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    From a business perspective, I can't, for the life of me, figure out why manufacurers like to get into exclusive contracts with carriers. Since Palm (unlike Apple) is struggling to keep afloat these days, it just doesn't add up to limit your supply to one carrier. I could understand if Palm was having a hard time keeping up with demand but I don't think they have had any problems getting their products to the market. It just doens't make any sense. I think Palm should be selling their hardware on all carriers (as long as they can keep up with demand).
    Just think about it this way... What is good for Palm is good for the consumer if you like WebOS phones. They can take the money they make from these other carriers and put it back into development of the next generation phone.

I already love my Pre and want to see Palm continue making great phones. Its especially great after the old PalmOS got so stale and didn't see any innovation for ages. Even though I loved my Treos the whole platform was getting old.
    I remember predicting this right when the pre debuted on sprint. My statement was met with pre ****** trolls who had nothing but anger and flaming to add to the thread....

It would appear I was right all along and those blowhards are eating ... what is it now.... crow? .... The verizon pre IS better than the sprint pre with more memory and additional features .... as I said....

Hmm... fancy that.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    i wouldnt mind if the original pre went to verizon, i bet nobody would be complaining about that... its just the fact they are getting a better version
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I am pretty sure I won't notice it much.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I remember predicting this right when the pre debuted on sprint. My statement was met with pre ****** trolls who had nothing but anger and flaming to add to the thread....

It would appear I was right all along and those blowhards are eating ... what is it now.... crow? .... The verizon pre IS better than the sprint pre with more memory and additional features .... as I said....

Hmm... fancy that.

Would you like a cookie?

No but seriously I too think it is a good thing that it is coming to Verizon. We will all benefit from this as Verizon is the largest carrier which means more WebOS devices is more people hands...which means more development for us all. Sprint will get the newest WebOS device sometime this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    From a business perspective, I can't, for the life of me, figure out why manufacurers like to get into exclusive contracts with carriers. Since Palm (unlike Apple) is struggling to keep afloat these days, it just doesn't add up to limit your supply to one carrier. I could understand if Palm was having a hard time keeping up with demand but I don't think they have had any problems getting their products to the market. It just doens't make any sense. I think Palm should be selling their hardware on all carriers (as long as they can keep up with demand).
    Because the product was new. Multiple carriers at the get go would be very hard to support.

Because Palm was running on fumes. These phones would need tweaked for each carrier. As it is, Palm had supply issues for just Sprint.

Because Palm was running on fumes and it being exclusive, Sprint carried a lot of the advertising and gave the Pre its flagship status. I can't see other carriers giving that to Palm on a new product a year ago.

There was nothing wrong with the concept. Sprint still had around 50 million users. Both Palm & Sprint screwed it up pretty good though in execution. Both had horrible marketing and that is a shame given the hype they had going into launch. The Pre had the kind of hype not seen since the first iphone.

This really was an example of what happens when two companies that offer pretty good products get together but have no clue how to market or execute. No tethering. No wifi on Pixi. Palm's decision to even create the badly named Pixi. Itunes sync. And the list goes on.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/12/2010 at 06:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Because the product was new. Multiple carriers at the get go would be very hard to support.

Because Palm was running on fumes. These phones would need tweaked for each carrier. As it is, Palm had supply issues for just Sprint.

Because Palm was running on fumes and it being exclusive, Sprint carried a lot of the advertising and gave the Pre its flagship status. I can't see other carriers giving that to Palm on a new product.

There's nothing wrong with the concept. Both Palm & Sprint screwed it up pretty good though in execution. Both had horrible marketing.
    Actually I thought Sprint's marketing was great...and while Palm's commercials were the **** of a lot of jokes it certainly got some buzz. (any publicity is good publicity)

The BIG problem was how long it took to release after CES. The buzz had kinda died down once it actually became for sale. I would have been disappointed being a loyal Sprint customer but they also should have released it on Verizon...While I don't know details it seems like Verizon would have given the device flagship status seeing as the only big player in the smart-phone category they had at the time was the first gen Storm which was a flop. Palm would be sitting pretty right about now if Verizon had given the support to them as they just gave the Droid.
    Verizon didn't have to. They're number one. They're adding users all the time.

Palm was a risk with a new OS & product and was running on fumes.

At least with Android, Verizon had the benefit of an OS that was basically beta tested on TMo, and had the backing of Google and multiple makers. That risk wasn't as high.

Palm choosing Sprint for a short 6 month exclusive was a nobrainer. That's JMO. Can't fault that. You can fault them for not handling it better. The big victory for Palm is that they're actually going to launch on V and AT&T even after making some stumbles with Sprint.