1.    #1  
    I use the hell out of the center button on my Pre. The announcement of the Pre Plus with no button (as if it's an improvement) has left me wondering some things.

Mainly, how do you get to that backed out card space where you can switch between programs easily or flick a program closed? I understand you can switch between programs easily with gesture switching, which I have turned on. And I figured out how to launch new programs without using the button. Drag up the quick bar, hit the launcher arrow. (I always hated the drag up thing, basically have never used it.)

But watch Ruby in his interview talk about how people love flicking programs offscreen (and I have remarked that to civilians before, so he's not insane)... how on earth do you do it without the button? There must be some shortcut I'm unaware of. Like I know there's one to tab between text entry fields, but I never learned it.
    I have never actually use my button. Seriously. All the button does is take you back to card view when in a program. If I am in a program and want to go back to card view, I simply swipe my finger up from the gesture area into the screen (not slowly as if you are trying to pull up the wave launcher - but a quick flick).

If I want to open another program while I am in one... I just flick up from the gesture area twice... Once to go to card-view, the second pulls up the launcher with my programs in it. Again, just a quick flick up will close the launcher, or take you back to card-view.

Just quickly flicking up from anywhere in the gesture area, for me, is easier than finding the button and pushing it. Try it... it's easier and you will see why the very few people actually use that button (except for LED Notifications).
    Try with a program open(not in card view), swiping up from the gesture area onto the screen but not leaving your finger on the screen. Much like pulling up the quick bar, but take your finger off the screen before this comes up. That will take it back to card view, same as using the button. Basically there is a gesture to do the exact same thing the button does so Palm decided why not just get rid of it. My only concern is then you wont have the LED notification option, unless there is an LED under the gesture bar where the button used to be?
    Yeah i'm with Hello, I never use the button and just use the upward gesture to go escape to card view. I do like how it glows however and would slightly miss that, but honestly it's unneeded and is simply another point of possible failure.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, the button's always in the same place, so I don't have big problems finding it. Thanks for teaching me that gesture, though it seems a bit silly doing the gesture twice to close a program/toss a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhime View Post
    ...it seems a bit silly doing the gesture twice to close a program/toss a card.
    I can see your thinking, but personally I think it's incredibly elegant and simple. Flick - flick - done. A single gesture performed slowly pulls up the wave launcher... done quickly pulls up the launcher, or takes you back to card view. Performed on top of a 'card' closes the program. One gesture, multiple functions - no button.
    ...and, you can gesture from below a card (or "grab" the card) and pull it down into the gesture area to bring it back to the front. or, again without even touching the card, you can flick up from below it to throw it away. you can gesture to move cards around in this manner as well when they are minimized (as in to rearrange them).

i like to never actually "touch" the cards, if that makes sense.
    It will be just like the Pixi and work the same, there just is not a tactile button.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    ...i like to never actually "touch" the cards, if that makes sense.
    Umm... you know you can't actually catch anything by touching the cards, right? Please don't tell us you are going to ask for a 'fist-bump' gesture to turn the device on next.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Umm... you know you can't actually catch anything by touching the cards, right? Please don't tell us you are going to ask for a 'fist-bump' gesture to turn the device on next.
    fist bump?? ewww...only with latex gloves on!
    The Pre Plus will have the exact same functionality as the Pixi, which also doesn't have a physical center button. I've never used a Pixi myself but there is a center LED "light bar" that is visible when lit and should have the exact same functionality as the physical Pre button, just with the "physical" part.

If you see some of the videos of the Pre Plus, the bottom area is also missing the little lights to the left and right of the center button. But a cool feature is that the center area has 2 or 3 LED's. So the center light bar can display a scrolling actions such as KITT from Knight Rider when performing a next or previous card advance gesture. Pretty neat actually.

I can't remember what video it was or else I'd link it.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I recall early posts (back in June 2009) with people reporting cracks that started from around that center button. So that might be another reason to get rid of it. Once I heard about the cracks I started using the equivalent gestures to do what the button did and I haven't touched the button since last June or July.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    The Pre Plus will have the exact same functionality as the Pixi, which also doesn't have a physical center button. I've never used a Pixi myself but there is a center LED "light bar" that is visible when lit and should have the exact same functionality as the physical Pre button, just with the "physical" part.

If you see some of the videos of the Pre Plus, the bottom area is also missing the little lights to the left and right of the center button. But a cool feature is that the center area has 2 or 3 LED's. So the center light bar can display a scrolling actions such as KITT from Knight Rider when performing a next or previous card advance gesture. Pretty neat actually.

I can't remember what video it was or else I'd link it.

i like the lights, so as long as it still does cool looking little blinks based on the gestures i've used, i'll be happy. it's the nice touches like those that are kind of the icing on this delicious cake that we call "webos".
    Yeah tapping the center of the gesture area on pixi and pre+ is same as presisng center button on pre.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    swiping up in the center and touching the button is the same thing.. makes no difference
    I'm waiting on a sprint pre, and have been using my wife's pixi for a month; I am actually concerned that I'm going to hate the button. I like the LED light on the pixi, it lights up when a card is open and is easy to see (even though, like others, I flick more often than hit the LED)...it also makes advanced gestures easier. The button just seems like it is in the way...