Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    If there really is such thing as geofiltering applied, in the most cases, the developers are not to blame.
    In December I asked Chapura (apps Echo and PocketMirror) about geofiltering and they stated quite clearly they submitted their apps into App Catalog for distribution to all countries. And that they, too, were quite frustrated of not having the apps available to all potential customers.
    Geofiltering is definitely being applied, though it seems rather erratically.

Twitter / chuq von rospach: @palmdoc okay, activated t ...
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I'll be in Malaysia next month, and will check!
    Interested to know if the App Catalog is available to you when you visit!
    For me is not working anymore Backup to Palm Profile after the update.
    Can't even disable it. Just not working.
    Someone else experiencing this?
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    For me is not working anymore Backup to Palm Profile after the update.
    Can't even disable it. Just not working.
    Someone else experiencing this?
    For me Backup has been flakey right from the start, even with 1.1.3
    I wouldn't reply on it.
    And if it's due to your SIM, rest assured: I will send you an O2 PAYG sim (either UK or German), as I have to get one as well.
    Would a PAYG sim work? Does it have a data connection or is it possible to activate over wifi?
    Check out Movie Diary.
    i actually have a o2 PAYG SIM here in Singapore, brought it back when I was in London recently. Didn't use it to activate my Pre cos it came with 1.2.1 and couldn't manually edit APN then out of the box.

Would doing a full erase and recreating a new Profile help? I'm not sure it's worth the hassle and risk just to grab free apps for now. Palm needs to do something and not just say it's not possible to get Apps cos our phones are "activated to your local carrier". As we've seen there are Pres that have been activated like that and still can access the Catalog. We have to apply more pressure and get them to take viable action.

So I did something crazy: I sent Jon Rubinstein a message on Facebook about the problem we're facing. He hasn't replied, but that's maybe he's too busy gearing up for the Pre Plus launch to mess with FB.

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    As I see it, in a worst case scenario, you install metadoctored WR113 with an O2 PYAG card inserted. Activate over WiFi creating a new Palm profile if needed. Insert your original SIM and get-set-go or throw-out-the-window.

EDIT:
    I think you should be OK, as long as you use a German/English/Spanish sim (eg. you don't have to go German with a QWERTZ model), but let's not jump to any conclusions.
    I'm still hoping Mr Whitby is correct (see page 2). Let's face it, he is the expert. Fingers X
    When you put in your normal SIM-card after setting up the profile with the o2 card will the profile change your number automagically so that you could still lock down your phone if it gets stolen? Or is it the trade-off to get the apps working?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    my app catalog got worst. I webdoctor to 1.3.1, then updated to 1.3.5.2 and I see that my app catalog still says BETA, which is strrange.. unless the profile restore from palm also somehow restore the 1.3.1 app catalog? Of course I still see blank for all that palm cares.

Okay, I will try to webdoc mine to 1.1.3 and try update to see if the app catalog still shows BETA
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Updated to 1.3.5.2 earlier this evening.

Despite running EMH after the update (well, I think I ran it, I hit install via WebOSQI, got no errors but also got nothing else on the GUI or on the Pre) I got the 'action could not be completed' msg too.

However, I exited the App Catalogue and opened it again. Now it works fine. I see 247 apps. Most of them are of course useless. I still the the 'action could not be completed' msg though, on average I'd say once in every five navigations within the app catalogue.

EDIT: I'm running with Orange UK vis RSC.
    Scrap that.

I just tried installing updates, via the App Catalogue, to 3 apps I had.
    Each one failed.
    The Pre tells me it needs to restart due to system changes.
    Upon reboot, it says installation failed.
    Now those three apps don't work either.

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Now those three apps don't work either.

Go into App Catalog again, click the shopping basket to enter My Applications. Click on the failed Aapps and select cancel or similar. It will revert back to the previous version so the app will work again.
  11.    #131  
    My Dev contact replied:

'Totally understand your frustration.* Can you remind me what country you’re in? *Perhaps I can prioritize getting your country added to the distribution list sooner rather than later.'

I have suggested Malaysia & Singapore (the latter for my Southern neighbours sake)
    So it seems there is a country 'Distribution list' which affects access to the apps.
    We need to pressure Palm to truly globalise the list for the free apps. It really makes no sense to me to restrict access to free apps.
    I can cut them some slack being 'Beta' but hey, it's more than 6 months already and the competition e.g. Android is way ahead in this area.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 01/15/2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Go into App Catalog again, click the shopping basket to enter My Applications. Click on the failed Aapps and select cancel or similar. It will revert back to the previous version so the app will work again.
    Thanks for the reply Andreas, but I had already tried that. Just tried once again as per your steps. I click on the failed apps with the yellow 'warning' / exclamation sign and I have two options: Try Again or Do Not Install.

Try Again - fails installation once again, asks to reboot, etc.

Do Not Install - reverts to previous state of failed status and keeps the Yellow 'warning'/exclamation sign.

I'm stuck. Any other tips very welcomed.

EDIT:

These stuck apps now do not appear in Device Info --> Software so I cannot delete them that way.

Also, NO apps and NONE of my patches appear in the WebOSQI Device Management Menu - so I really have no idea how to get rid of them now...
    Last edited by c_man; 01/15/2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: more info
    What I did today:
    - I got an O2 sim card
    - since i wanted to create a new profile with this sim i did a partial erase
    - started the phone, but couldn't create the profile because i had no credit in the o2 sim
    - reinserted the italian sim, logged again in the old profile
    - again the o2 sim, activated wifi --> 151 apps in app catalog
    - reinserted the italian sim and --> 151 apps in app catalog

So, no need to create a new profile!!!
    I don't know if you just need to do the partial erase, or if the O2 sim was a key passage.
    The phone number in my profile is the italian one.
    I created the profile in december with my italian sim.

UPDATE: Only one time I got again the same error... maybe because I was restoring my PalmDatabase.db3?
    Someone else with App Catalog working again? Maybe Palm is working on this issue...
    Last edited by Frankk; 01/15/2010 at 05:37 PM.
  14.    #134  
    Now this really makes me want to get an O2 Sim card!

Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    So I did something crazy: I sent Jon Rubinstein a message on Facebook about the problem we're facing. He hasn't replied, but that's maybe he's too busy gearing up for the Pre Plus launch to mess with FB.
    You're FB friends with Ruby? Impressed
    i just signed into my palm profile on the palm website and i realised that it has my country of origin as the USA.is it possible that this discrepancy could be one of the causes for the zero apps in the catalog.i have a german qwertz palm.i can't however change the country in the profile and this sound like atleast a partial erase may e necessary and change of my selected country to the uk or germany.this phone is in Trinidad and Tobago though
    Quote Originally Posted by alfetta_sg View Post
    Some observation...

my app catalog shows zero apps.

My PreWare now shows apps from Palm's App Catalog (and homebrew's as well).
    It's only when I try to install the app, I get "not available in your country".

so it seams the PreWare client can read the catalog list...

Pete
    M1 in Singapore
    Hi All,

I live in Bermuda,

I see the applications like classic in PreWare, but I get same message as Pete. Is there nothing I can do? Please advise. My version is palm webos 1.3.5.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjo2009 View Post
    i just signed into my palm profile on the palm website and i realised that it has my country of origin as the USA.is it possible that this discrepancy could be one of the causes for the zero apps in the catalog.i have a german qwertz palm.i can't however change the country in the profile and this sound like atleast a partial erase may e necessary and change of my selected country to the uk or germany.this phone is in Trinidad and Tobago though
    I don't think that the info in the palm profile are the cause of this problem.
    as I wrote two posts above I solved this problem with the same palm profile I always used.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I have also sent off an email to my Dev contact

Dear xxx & Chuq

I am writing to express my frustration at not being able to access the free apps in the App Catalog ever since 1.3.1 GSM was released and even with 1.3.5.2 GSM
    I understand the need for some geo-filtering where country-specific apps apply but seriously folks, most of the free apps deserve a global audience and I don't see the logic behind geo-filtering for these free apps. The Android App store does not do this for their free apps and I don't see why you guys should either.
    The frustrating thing is, I can't even see my own contribution, MediPDA, and hence cannot read reviews or feedback from people who have downloaded it.
    I am happy to contribute additional medical freeware e.g. OncoPDA (in Homebrew currently ) but would first like to see global access to free apps in the App Catalog.

Regards

Palmdoc

I sent this message off as well to Ruby in Facebook (as I am not his FB friend, I wonder if the message will get through at all)

PS Where can I get an O2 Sim card from Europe? I would be happy to buy a prepaid one online
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    I don't think that the info in the palm profile are the cause of this problem.
    as I wrote two posts above I solved this problem with the same palm profile I always used.
    but what about some of the other persons who activated with their local sim cards and have the app catalogue working.this really seems like a random sort of way of solving the problem and it still seems to boil down to a palm software problem more than anything.i guess we still have to try anything and alot of us may have to buy O2 cards to get our pres up and almost fully running
    oh sorry for the extra post but the point of my last one was that i wonder if we need to find a pattern as to what all the people that have the app catalog have in common who live outside the "certified' regions
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast