Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 284
  1. #101  
    interesting ... i just checked and we are back to "action could not be completed ..."

    i hope it means things are moving along. :\
  2. #102  
    I'm in Germany and there are about 150 apps in the catalog... But if I wanna download an app, it says that I should restart the phone for installing the app... Nothing happens after the restart.
    Does anyone else have this problem? I'm also on the 1.3.5.2 webOS version.
  3. #103  
    For what it's worth, I mentioned it to my dev contact at Palm and she replied that they're treating it as a bug in their system.
    Check out Movie Diary.
  4. #104  
    Woow, strange.

    I'm on a German Qwertz, used and activated in The Netherlands with a Dutch SIM. Running 1.3.5.2.

    --> 140 apps in the app store. I just installed both "wetter.com" and "precentral" without a glitch.
  5. #105  
    Here is the answer from Palm Forums:

    If you purchased an unlocked Palm Pre in Europe using a SIM card from a wireless service provider from a country other than Germany, Ireland, Spain, or the UK, the error message
    “App Catalog unavailable” appears when you open the App Catalog. Your Palm profile is associated with the country and wireless service provider of the SIM card in the phone when you created your profile. At the present time, apps are certified for Germany, Ireland, Spain, and the UK. App Catalog is unavailable unless your SIM card is from one of these four countries. To fix the problem, create a new Palm profile using a SIM card from a wireless service provider in Germany, Ireland, Spain, or the UK. Turn off your phone, inserted the new SIM card, turn the phone on, and perform a partial erase. After the phone restarts, create a new Palm profile. Once the profile is created, shut down the phone, insert your original SIM card, and restart the phone. Log in to the newly-created profile. Open App Catalog to see available apps.


    Related link: App catalog problems - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
  6. c_man's Avatar
    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #106  
    Updated to 1.3.5.2 earlier this evening.

    Despite running EMH after the update (well, I think I ran it, I hit install via WebOSQI, got no errors but also got nothing else on the GUI or on the Pre) I got the 'action could not be completed' msg too.

    However, I exited the App Catalogue and opened it again. Now it works fine. I see 247 apps. Most of them are of course useless. I still the the 'action could not be completed' msg though, on average I'd say once in every five navigations within the app catalogue.

    EDIT: I'm running with Orange UK vis RSC.
  7.    #107  
    I don't quite buy the SIM activation explanation since our HK member and others have clearly stated they activated their devices with a 'non-EU' (meaning the 'official') country SIM yet have access to the App Catalog.
    I think it is ridiculous to geo-filter free apps like Engadget and so on. Why should there be a need to 'certify' the suitability of such a free app for a global audience?
    Palm is just shooting themselves in the foot if they don't fix this.
    The default for a free app should be GLOBAL access unless specified by the author.
    They should also retrospectively apply this rule to existing apps in the catalog and not only for new or update ones.
  8. #108  
    I am in Hong Kong and after the 1.3.5.2 I can only see 140 apps in app Catalog.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by MCube View Post
    I am in Hong Kong and after the 1.3.5.2 I can only see 140 apps in app Catalog.
    That's a lot better than ZERO
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  10. #110  
    is there any proper channel through which we can air our concerns and frustrations? seems pointless to go round and round here in the forums. Palm needs to know our problem.
  11. #111  
    Some observation...

    my app catalog shows zero apps.

    My PreWare now shows apps from Palm's App Catalog (and homebrew's as well).
    It's only when I try to install the app, I get "not available in your country".

    so it seams the PreWare client can read the catalog list...

    Pete
    M1 in Singapore
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I don't quite buy the SIM activation explanation since our HK member and others have clearly stated they activated their devices with a 'non-EU' (meaning the 'official') country SIM yet have access to the App Catalog.
    Consider me as another example. I clearly have a profile which in the past already showed that it is NOT registered in one of the official Palm-Europe countries. Yet my app store is working. Seem more like a local thing one some people palms (which sucks pretty bad).

    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I think it is ridiculous to geo-filter free apps like Engadget and so on. Why should there be a need to 'certify' the suitability of such a free app for a global audience?
    Concur. Hope you don't mean to mention "Engadget" as a filtered app: it isn't. It's working on my Dutch Profile activated Palm.

    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Palm is just shooting themselves in the foot if they don't fix this.
    The default for a free app should be GLOBAL access unless specified by the author.
    Hear, hear.

    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    They should also retrospectively apply this rule to existing apps in the catalog and not only for new or update ones.
    hmm. I think they would have to speak with the one who applied for bringing the app to the app store first. You don't change that without their consent: that would be more of an Apple thing.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by joebel View Post
    hmm. I think they would have to speak with the one who applied for bringing the app to the app store first. You don't change that without their consent: that would be more of an Apple thing.
    Definitely. Palm should just request a change in policy authorisation from the author for pre-existing free apps. If they agree/consent, then just enable global access. They should be more pro-active and not just depend on authors.
    This would make it similar to the Android app store where one can access free apps from anaywhere in the world.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Did you, or have you considered removing all patches and apps_ backing up and redoctoring to WR113 and then update and see what happens? Sorry if you already tried this.
    No, I doctored only to 1.3.1 after a full erase, restored my profile (which got me back only Classic). Then I updated to 1.3.5.2

    I don't know if Doctoring to 1.1.3 wil not only allow access to the free apps again but will the downloads be allowed? There might be server side restrictions which require the newer OS.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Did you, or have you considered removing all patches and apps_ backing up and redoctoring to WR113 and then update and see what happens? Sorry if you already tried this.
    No, I doctored only to 1.3.1 after a full erase, restored my profile (which got me back only Classic). Then I updated to 1.3.5.2

    I don't know if Doctoring to 1.1.3 wil not only allow access to the free apps again but will the downloads be allowed? There might be server side restrictions which require the newer OS.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  16. #116  
    Here's the reply from my dev contact:
    "I just learned that this is not a bug; Belgium isnít on the list of countries where the Palm App Catalog is currently supported. My understanding is that we will be adding Belgium soon."

    I've suggested that app submissions be able to select a "worldwide" option instead of having to select specific countries to release in.

    Being the eternal optimist that I am, I still have confidence in Palm for doing the right thing eventually, though I did initially hope that the App Catalog problems would be gone once new apps were available every day near the end of 2009.
    Check out Movie Diary.
  17.    #117  
    I have also sent off an email to my Dev contact

    Dear xxx & Chuq

    I am writing to express my frustration at not being able to access the free apps in the App Catalog ever since 1.3.1 GSM was released and even with 1.3.5.2 GSM
    I understand the need for some geo-filtering where country-specific apps apply but seriously folks, most of the free apps deserve a global audience and I don't see the logic behind geo-filtering for these free apps. The Android App store does not do this for their free apps and I don't see why you guys should either.
    The frustrating thing is, I can't even see my own contribution, MediPDA, and hence cannot read reviews or feedback from people who have downloaded it.
    I am happy to contribute additional medical freeware e.g. OncoPDA (in Homebrew currently ) but would first like to see global access to free apps in the App Catalog.

    Regards


    Palmdoc
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I mean just erase the complete phone with WR113, and then update to WR1352, and then see what happens (perhaps using a new profile?). There's quite a lot of people having access to the Catalog in non-supported countries, so there's still a chance that it's your Pre that has been shaken the weird way...
    I seriously doubt that would be the case. It is just that Malaysia/Singapore are not in Palm's wanted list.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  19. Lemstil's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #119  
    If there really is such thing as geofiltering applied, in the most cases, the developers are not to blame.
    In December I asked Chapura (apps Echo and PocketMirror) about geofiltering and they stated quite clearly they submitted their apps into App Catalog for distribution to all countries. And that they, too, were quite frustrated of not having the apps available to all potential customers.
  20. mullern's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    If there really is such thing as geofiltering applied, in the most cases, the developers are not to blame.
    In December I asked Chapura (apps Echo and PocketMirror) about geofiltering and they stated quite clearly they submitted their apps into App Catalog for distribution to all countries. And that they, too, were quite frustrated of not having the apps available to all potential customers.
    Hi Lemstil, greetings from JKL.
    I had an email contact to the developer of Mileage Monitor. I could download and use the app before I doctored my Pre to O2 1.3.5.2. After that, I cannot see the app anymore in the official app cat, but only in the "App Cat" Feed in PREWARE (new in v0.9.16), but not download it (not avail in your country). The developer confirmed that he sent the app to Palm wor WW availability.
    I am running a German Pre with SWISSCOm Sim card, currently roaming from Finland
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions