Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
  1.    #241  
    I just flashed back to 1.1.3 and see 303 apps but Classic is not there!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I'm using a Movistar Pre unlocked on AT&T in the USA. When I activated the phone and logged it on to my existing Palm Profile with 1.3.5.2, I saw 206 Apps in the AC.

Thinking I'd do something smart, I meta-doctored the Sprint 1.3.5.1 WebOS onto my phone, and logged it onto the palm profile I previously used to set up my Sprint Pre.

Didn't see 1000 apps in the app catalog, only 114, that's one hundred and fourteen!

Loaded the original WebOS doctor file for my model and logged it into the same Palm Profile I had used when I took it out of the box. Still 114 apps in the AC.

Shot myself in the foot I guess, but I did get about 5 of the apps that used to be on my Sprint Pre onto my Movistar/AT&T Pre.
    Guys, I really don't understand all the talk about the catalog. Yes, there is a problem for non-US residents: I am sorry to say it's Palm and their catalog approach.
    Yes, there is a solution: Preware. Just to put my money where my mouth is, I downloaded evernote this morning through Preware. No problems.

Preware shows ALL 1880 Apps, for non-US residents too!. It now has a filter for free Apps, so you don't have to crawl through all of those 1880 Apps. And it has Auto Patch Technology. What more can you ask?
    Last edited by Dick99999; 02/17/2010 at 02:13 AM.
  4.    #244  
    In my case I can see the Preware Palm feeds but when I try to load any freeware from there I get a 'this App is not available in your country' error
    So it seems we're not all equal. Some countries are even less 'official' than others.
    I guess it's up to Palm but as their customer I feel discriminated.
  5.    #245  
    were you on wifi or a data connection?

Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I was roaming on an 'unofficial' Tmobile NL sim card.

by the way, no need to completely redoctor your Pre to 113.
    you can also just reinstall the 113 findapp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    Just to put my money where my mouth is, I downloaded evernote this morning through Preware. No problem
    So what country are you in? On which carrier? Which carrier did you create your Palm profile on? Did you buy your Pre used or new?
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    So what country are you in? On which carrier? Which carrier did you create your Palm profile on? Did you buy your Pre used or new?
    I have just one question. Did you try Preware?
    I have just one question. Did you try Preware?
    Yes, but since the app catalog isn't working for me I can't download anything from the palm feeds. Or are you saying that you can download stuff if you do it via Preware that you can't if you go to the app catalog directly?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    In my case I can see the Preware Palm feeds but when I try to load any freeware from there I get a 'this App is not available in your country' error
    So it seems we're not all equal. Some countries are even less 'official' than others.
    I guess it's up to Palm but as their customer I feel discriminated.
    You are right. Seeing all apps in preware does not mean you can download all. Preware just shows the feeds. Even if they are free, you can see them but sometimes they cannot be downloaded.

I believe Palm is intentionally filtering. It might have to do with IP, and/or VAT, and/or sales channels and/or operators. It's just like car manufacturers can determine who may import their cars for selling them in a country. Not consumer friendly, but a fact of life. It's a pity that this now seems to be applied for software too.
  10.    #250  
    In that case Expansys and Palm should put up a BIG warning sign "Buyers of unlocked GSM Palm Pres beware - we may or may not support App Catalog access"
    It's strange that not all countries not in the official release areas are affected, eg you guys in NL and the Aussies.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    It's strange that not all countries not in the official release areas are affected, eg you guys in NL and the Aussies.
    Yes, it seems so random...
  12.    #252  
    OK I tried one more time today and this is what I did.
    1) Flashed to a Metadoctored 1.3.5.2 Rom with Activation bypass and Wifi and First use App enabled, with an O2 Sim card inserted
    2) I was able to activate and create a new profile over Wifi and with the O2 Sim card in place. I selected English and UK as profile options. Item purchased from Germany (since I got it from Expansys)
    3) Verified the Palm Profile as per email link from Palm. When I checked the palm profile online (http://palm.com/palmprofile) I find the details correct and the activated phone is a 077 mobile number (UK)
    4) When I try to access the App Catalog by Wifi, it is inaccessible
    5) When I pop in my local Sim card, the Palm Profile remains unchanged but I still cannot access the App Catalog either via Wifi or data connection.

So it seems to me the country (by IP/region) where you first activated the Pre is probably what counts, irrespective of what Sim card you use.
    I also think Palm has put in an option to allow countries (as determined by 1st activation) where there are more than 20 users to access the App Catalog, which is why countries like Australia are in the white list whereas in my country where there are only 4 users (as far as I know) we are in the black list.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 02/17/2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Appreciate the effort, thanks!
    Too bad the result was such a disappointment for you - and for all of us "unofficials".
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    Yes, but since the app catalog isn't working for me I can't download anything from the palm feeds. Or are you saying that you can download stuff if you do it via Preware that you can't if you go to the app catalog directly?
    Did not test that. All I know is that the palm catalog lists 283 free apps for me. Preware lists 481 free apps. So I don't use the Palm App Catalog anymore. Preware beats that Palm App by using the much acclaimed synergy on their own stuff.

The Swedish thread mentioned yesterday that they could not see nor download evernote. That I did test and I could see and download it through Preware here in NL (on a German unlocked O2 GSM model using 1.3.5.1/Sprint). In the end, you are right, downloading goes through the source, in this case the palm catalog.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 02/18/2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Model added
  15.    #255  
    When I doctored back to 1.1.3, I could see 303 apps but Evernote was not one of them. Even now, I can't find Evernote in the Preware Palm App Catalog feed when I click on All Apps. Strange.
    Btw, I am not quite sure if creating a profile from another Pre in Europe would make the difference since it's a different device. A German buddy has created a profile for me already (from Germany) so I might just try that and see using the Metadoctored Pre and the O2 Sim.
    All I know is that the palm catalog lists 283 free apps for me. Preware lists 481 free apps. So I don't use the Palm App Catalog anymore. Preware beats that Palm App by using the much acclaimed synergy on their own stuff.
    That's a great quote. Thanks

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17.    #257  
    Personally I am not bothered by the numbers - for me it's the quality that counts not the quantity. The App Catalog can be 100,000 but if it is full of flotsam and jetsam it's quite pointless.
    However when apps like Epocrates are released on the AC and I can't access them then I would be really frustrated.
  18.    #258  
    With a metadoctored 1.3.5.2 I tried to use a profile originally created in Germany. Sim used is a UK O2 Sim.
    After running First use, it says Activated, then I signed in to the profile and reset the Palm.
    Unfortunately the App Catalog is still unavailable.
    It seems to me the phone must physically be in a "white list" country when you Activate and create/sign in to the profile.
    Time for a holiday in Australia?
  19.    #259  
    I presume you ran the First Use app again and got the 'activated' acknowledgement then signed in?
    Was it data roaming again?
    What if by wifi?
  20.    #260  
    OK will try again with the test profile you created and see. Will post results here.