Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
    I'm in India, with an O2 unlocked GSM German qwertz Pre.
    It was activated in Germany with an O2 SIM, country UK, language English.
    Am now using it with my local SIM (Idea Cellular), updated to 1.3.5.2 after I got it.

I can see 217 apps. Can also install free apps.

Maybe someday we'll all see 1100+ apps.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VikramPune View Post
    I'm in India, with an O2 unlocked GSM German qwertz Pre.
    It was activated in Germany with an O2 SIM, country UK, language English.
    Am now using it with my local SIM (Idea Cellular), updated to 1.3.5.2 after I got it.

I can see 217 apps. Can also install free apps.

Maybe someday we'll all see 1100+ apps.
    Yet another case to prove the theory of having apps on an unlocked phone if activated with an "official" SIM.
    Whatever the reason, good for you, Vikram!

Unfortunately, I remember reading this didn't work in all the cases.
    Maybe a trip to Germany, UK or Spain - Canary Islands ? - is in order...
    perhaps the question of where you activate it is important too?
    I really need to test to activate my phone with my fiancées German prepad SIM-card. I do however not know if that card has data active which might be a problem i guess, but there's no harm in testing since I do not have much installed and none of my PIM-data is stored in the Palm-profile (I currently use google, FB and LinkedIn for that).
    I'll see if I can get the time fo rthat tonight and see if I get more apps/any apps that way...
    Nope. Did not work since her card apparently does not like data connections and I could not get the phone to accept any manual settings for internet. It did not matter if I tried to use O2-settings or Swedish settings for the operator it connected to.
    Which is a shame. I was looking forward to getting some apps
  6.    #226  
    @Winterbay, perhaps you could try with a Metadoctored firmware which allows activation with a Wifi connection and create a new profile with the O2 Sim card inserted?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    @palmdoc2005: Yes, I know I could do that. But for some reason I feel queasy about messing with the internals of the phone
    I'm a Windows user by nature and thus reather unused to poking around in UNIX-things and its codes and would feel that I might very well make something stupid if I did...
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Can somone please explain to me why Palm does this to the appcataloge. I mean if I worked for Palm I would not care where in the world my handsets were used. As long as I sell another, its money in the pocket. And if that user decided to go with a different provider due to better coverage or whatever shuld not matter. I think palm shuld relese the full appcataloge for all Palm Pre, Pixie and + devices in an effort to spread the Palm trademark to the whole world and perhaps even beond ;P.
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Well, yes that is our opinion as users. The problem is I'm guessing that the operators that get some kind of monopoly on the Pre/Pixi have too much to say in that sort of circumstances...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Anyone remember what WebOS version that got a working App Catalog?

Everything but the apps was pushed back to my Pre after a erase so I want to revert back to a previous version.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    The first version I had had a working app catalogue, which was 1.1.3 I think. I've done two upgrades at least so that would support that theory
    I live in Honduras, and I have a German GSM pre, I could not enter the app catalog, I saw Try again later, today I can get in and see my apps and categories, however no apps show. I hope this means I will be able to see some soon, at least the free ones.
  13.    #233  
    Over the weekend I have been trying to create a fresh Palm Profile with an O2 Sim card.
    I tried flashing with a Metadoctored 1.3.5.2 GSM firmware and with Bypass activation on, and with Wifi enable I can use it (not Roaming data though) and the Palm Pre will recognise the O2 phone number. However even with Enable First use app, when I run it it only asks for the language, then reboots. I cannot create any profile. App catalog access is a no go with Wifi and the O2 Sim card.
    I then tried reflashing with a new Metadoctor where I edited the Metadata to disable Bypass Activation but enabling Wifi and First use app. I just cannot create a profile with Wifi. It seems 1.3.5.x just won't let Metadoctor do this - something which Rod Whitby confirms.

What I did next was a full erase (still on 1.3.5.2) , and signed in once again with my local (Digi) Sim card. Amazingly old apps from a previous backup came back. These were freebies I downloaded when I first used 1.1.3 firmware but I thought had lost forever e.g. Stitcher, Accuweather, Engadget, Ny Times, LA Times etc. The App Catalog is still a ZERO app situation. Strangely enough, I can update the apps to the latest versions where these are available.

I guess if anyone is desperate enough to want to see the free apps in the App Catalog, you could try this:
    1) firstly back up your precious Contact and Calendar data e.g. to Google, and also backup your media/internal stuff since all these will be gone
    2) flash with the normal 1.1.3 O2 GSM WebOS doctor which you can get here
    3) Sign in or create a new profile with your local Sim card.
    I suspect with 1.1.3, you should be able to see the App Catalog.
    Download whatever freeware you want (perhaps some will not be compatible with 1.1.3 but most should)
    4) Make sure you run Palm's Backup to your profile just in case
    5) Update to 1.3.5.2. Your apps should still be there
    I know this is not good enough since we won't be seeing the newer free apps when these become available but at least it is a one off way to get apps you want.

I am disappointed in not being able to create a "UK Profile" since I really want access to the App Catalog when paid apps are available but it looks like Palm is hell bent on locking us "non-official" users out. I am certainly not going to fly to UK or Germany just to activate with a Euro profile!
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 02/14/2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Changed instructions
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I just did the OTA update to get me from 1.1.3 to 1.3.5.2 so no need to flash it or am i missing something?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  15.    #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I just did the OTA update to get me from 1.1.3 to 1.3.5.2 so no need to flash it or am i missing something?
    Sorry yes, update should be easier (though might take a little longer). So I gather you can see the apps when you flash back to 1.1.3?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Sorry*So I gather you can see the apps when you flash back to 1.1.3?
    Yes, had 299 apps on 1.1.3 and when starting the App Catalog after updating to 1.3.5.2 you get that new terms of use that says that Palm have the right to deny, block or limit access to it.
    Last edited by Andreas; 02/16/2010 at 03:17 AM.
  17.    #237  
    Anyway it's back to the AC unavailable for me
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbay View Post
    Thanks for the heads up
    I had stopped trying... Let's hope next time it will go the other way (i.e. the apps come back)
    Nope, sorry! App Catalog back in "Please try again later", again. Sigh!

Fortunately, I have those apps I feel the most necessary installed already.
    Hope the phone keeps up in good shape as it has been, not requiring an erase - neither partial nor full.
    There are some other apps I really would've liked to try out, though.
    Maybe "early" 2011...
  19.    #239  
    We may not be able to see the App Catalog but at least with sites like these
    HouseOfPalm, Find all applications and games available in the Palm Market for your Palm Phone, Palm Pre, WebOs etc...
    we can browse the apps online.
    Some of the free apps look yummy but are unobtanium for us
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    I was in Kuala Lumpur last week and had a complete free German App Catalog!
    interesting! were you using a prepaid SIM card or were you roaming?