Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Thats one of the really stupid things Palm made. At least the free Apps should be available everywhere.
    If Palm will add each country specifically to a positive list, then I am sure that my country will never be included, because I am living in Faroe Islands and it is to small for anything.

It seems like Palm is an exclusive club and not an inclusive, we see that in the App Catalog and on the possibility to buy a Palm on their homepages. This business model would be fine if we still were living in 1970, but the market is global by now and Palm ought to realize that.

Imagine that a Belgian walked into a store in the US. If he was told that he could not shop because he was Belgian, and that if he was from Holland it would be ok... That would be outrageous and would be seen as racism. But yet, this is the way we are treated in the Palm stores.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthogno View Post
    0 apps, worked fine on previous firmware. The store also doesnt recognize already installed apps (not a valid webOS app or something)

Belgium
    Mobile Vikings [Base powered] - O2 Unlocked Pre from Germany
    I've been lurking here for some time looking for ways to get my German bought Palm Pre working in Belgium. I didn't uncloak because I had nothing to contribute really.

But... yesterday I had a bit of a surprise. I accessed the App Catalog via Wifi and all of a sudden I had 170 apps in the App Catalog. All free ones.

Did Palm change sth?

I am using a German Palm Pre, activated through Mobile Vikings (Base) in Belgium, and I'm using my employer paid Proximus SIM card (no data) in it since. Upgraded to 1.3.5.2 early this week.
    Configuration: World Ready 1.2
    Regional settings: Language=English (UK), Formats=Belgium

Wim
    Last edited by ishpuini; 01/22/2010 at 03:31 AM.
  4.    #204  
    Can you access the catalog via 3G and not Wifi? Looks like Palm may have enabled Belgium. Congrats.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Can you access the catalog via 3G and not Wifi? Looks like Palm may have enabled Belgium. Congrats.
    Wifi only for me, haven't tested 3G yet, as my employer does not include data for the SIM cards we get. I'll try with my Mobile Vikings SIM later.

Wim
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    it DOES NOT work! Not by WiFi or by G3!
    same empty app catalog, does show the (free) apps i downloaded by preware.

situation is not changed..
    very strange!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I bought my phone in Nov 2009 in Switzerland (imported from Germany by an electronics shop) with 1.1.3 webos. Used the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 tweak to activate it with a SWISSCOM SIM card. Never used any other provider's SIM cards.
    After several dosctored versions with Bell and Bell/Sprint combinations up to 1.3.5, I doctored it back to O2 1.3.1 and installed 1.3.5.2 OTA. Still with the same SWISSCOM card.
    I can see 166 free apps in the App Catalog, I see "Today" updates almost every morning.
    As seen on some websites where you can actually download apps from the official App Catalog, I am afraid that possible the "opening" of the catalog may only be for Germany, UK, Spain (and eventually France with the PrePlus) in Europe. On those website where you can download apps through the web (even free ones), you need to give your phone number. The list is limited to the countries mentioned above (-France) + US + Can
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    I bought my phone in Nov 2009 in Switzerland (imported from Germany by an electronics shop) with 1.1.3 webos. Used the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 tweak to activate it with a SWISSCOM SIM card. Never used any other provider's SIM cards.
    After several dosctored versions with Bell and Bell/Sprint combinations up to 1.3.5, I doctored it back to O2 1.3.1 and installed 1.3.5.2 OTA. Still with the same SWISSCOM card.
    I can see 166 free apps in the App Catalog, I see "Today" updates almost every morning.
    As seen on some websites where you can actually download apps from the official App Catalog, I am afraid that possible the "opening" of the catalog may only be for Germany, UK, Spain (and eventually France with the PrePlus) in Europe. On those website where you can download apps through the web (even free ones), you need to give your phone number. The list is limited to the countries mentioned above (-France) + US + Can
    Those pages just send an SMS to your phone which contains an appredirect link to open the app catalog client. No different to what Preware does on the device.

They do not send you the actual app.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Those pages just send an SMS to your phone which contains an appredirect link to open the app catalog client. No different to what Preware does on the device.

They do not send you the actual app.

-- Rod
    Thanks, Rod, I was not aware of that because I never tried it. It just looked suspicious...... So the hope stays on...... as we say in German: "Hope dies last"
    Im in belgium with mobile vikings, and still nothing... Ill try proximus later

Edit: Tryed proximus, nothing.
    Last edited by Anthogno; 01/24/2010 at 03:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthogno View Post
    Im in belgium with mobile vikings, and still nothing... Ill try proximus later

Edit: Tryed proximus, nothing.
    Strange... I activated with the former and am using the latter... Note that I do access the App Catalog through Wifi (telenet wireless at home).

Are you sure you gave the phone enough time to visualise the App Catalog? When I open the catalog it always starts dark and empty, but after a few seconds (sometimes 10s or more) it brightens and the apps become visible. I guess this time is needed to connect to the catalog. I can imagine this to take even longer via 3G (proximus) or Edge (Mobile Vikings).

I check daily now to see new arrivals/updates, the app catalog is at over 180 apps now for me.

Wim
    Touchpad 32GB and German O2 unlocked Palm Pre sharing the same profile
    I cannot access App Catalog after restore my Pre by webOS Doctor 1.3.5.2 GSM Europe version.

as improperly install patch in my Pre, I have to restore it by WebOS Doctor. After restore, everything goes normal, except App Catalog. I cannot access it anymore. it returns the message: the action could not be completed. try again later.

Even I try to install applications through Preware, It is OK for others, but the App Calalog applications. it returns: the application is not available for your carrier.

my phone is a locked Pre from UK. Unlocked by RebelSim. I live in Hong Kong, using a 2G carrier, Peoples. before restoring, firmware was 1.3.5.2 GSM Europe version, could access Catalog.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Strange, as of today its back to "The action could not be completed. Try again later." Lets hope there are some changes for the good on its way.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  14.    #214  
    Andreas, you're right. Will they make changes and increase accessibility at least for the free apps? I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.
    yep. always keep the hope up.
    I also had the problem with AC on my Palm Pre in Belarus with "Action could not be completed". Here is what I did to fix
    1. Full Erase Palm Pre
    2. Create new Palm Profile using Data connection not wifi!!
    3. App catalog now works and I successfully installed a couple of free apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is no geo-filtering.

I live in Australia, and have a Sprint CDMA Pre and a German GSM Pre.

The Sprint Pre sees the US catalog, and the German Pre sees the EU catalog.

It depends on your Palm Profile, and which device is registered against that Palm Profile (you can check that online).

-- Rod
    I have a Germn GSM Pre in Honduras and I can not see any apps, how do I see my profile online?
  18.    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by erapalo View Post
    I have a Germn GSM Pre in Honduras and I can not see any apps, how do I see my profile online?
    To check your Palm Profile, go to:
    http://www.palm.com/palmprofile

For me it's back to "App Catalog Unavailable" for quite some days now. Got an O2 Sim thanks to a generous Precentral user and will doctor my Palm Pre when I have the time with an earlier version of Metadoctor (prob 1.1.3) and activate with Wifi and using this new Sim, thereby creating a new profile and hopefully the UK O2 Sim number will be recorded. If the theory is right, then the profile should reenable access to the App Catalog but we shall see.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    This morning App Catalog on my Pre went out of "Try again" mode, finally!
    Still no apps, sad to say.
    Something has changed, my hopes are a bit higher, again. If only...
    Thanks for the heads up
    I had stopped trying... Let's hope next time it will go the other way (i.e. the apps come back)