Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Turkey
    - cryptooth [Turkcell]
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Snippet of email conversation

So I wonder if the number of users in each "unofficial" country matters. If say there were more than 20 Palm Pre users in Australia and HK , that would explain why they have no problem accessing the free apps in the App Catalog.
    I don't get it, even with location services Palm cannot track where their phones are being used/activated? They're relying on us to provide that info? ... :S
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    Belgium
    - Huub [Mobistar]

Italy
    - Frankk [Wind]

Malaysia
    - palmdoc2005 [Digi]
    - Surrinder [Celcom]
    - nomadmy [?Network] - from MyPDACafe forum
    - AHSS [Maxis] : a colleague who just got his Palm Pre yesterday

Singapore
    - NiceGuy [starhub]
    - christcentric [M1]

Sweden
    - Winterbay [Tele2]
    - Andreas [Telia Sweden]
    - loni86 [Tele2 Comviq]
    Trinidad &Tobago
    Kenjo2009[TSTT Bmobile]
    Belgium, Base here.
    Check out Movie Diary.
    Belgium
    - Huub [Mobistar]
    - reflex [Base]

Italy
    - Frankk [Wind]

Malaysia

- palmdoc2005 [Digi]
    - Surrinder [Celcom]
    - nomadmy [?Network] - from MyPDACafe forum
    - AHSS [Maxis] : a colleague who just got his Palm Pre yesterday

Singapore
    - NiceGuy [starhub]
    - christcentric [M1]
    - alfetta_sg [M1]

Sweden
    - Winterbay [Tele2]
    - Andreas [Telia Sweden]
    - loni86 [Tele2 Comviq]

Trinidad &Tobago
    Kenjo2009[TSTT Bmobile]

Turkey
    - cryptooth [Turkcell]
    0 apps, worked fine on previous firmware. The store also doesnt recognize already installed apps (not a valid webOS app or something)

Belgium
    Mobile Vikings [Base powered] - O2 Unlocked Pre from Germany
    As promised, I have created a thread here to keep the list:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...pre-users.html

please post to that list and keep the regular discussion here!
  8.    #188  
    Thanks for starting the new thread. Will highlight it. I don't know why Palm doesn't have the statistics but I guess the numbers are too small for them to take note as they have bigger concerns. Nevertheless compiling stats and countries affected would be helpful as we can provide them with facts and hopefully they will be able to fix the problem.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    yes, let's try to get this to the relevant channels fast. once the Pre Plus hits Verizon, Palm will have a larger user base and new teething issues to tackle. then us GSM Pre users will get further lost and trapped in the boundless void of our empty App Catalogs...
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptooth View Post
    roaming disable by default, before activation process. I think you can not create palm profile with o2 card if you live outside of o2's enabled country.

i have one, i'm in turkey, no success...
    i live in turkey and have a german palm bought through expansys in us and have recently recreated a palm profile using an o2 sim card and no success!!! It does not matter with what sim you create the profile, but where you are loacated from the point of view of the palm server... If there could be a way to cheat the palm server, this problem could theoritically be solved??
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Thanks for starting the new thread. Will highlight it. I don't know why Palm doesn't have the statistics but I guess the numbers are too small for them to take note as they have bigger concerns. Nevertheless compiling stats and countries affected would be helpful as we can provide them with facts and hopefully they will be able to fix the problem.
    Are they able to fix the problem? Is it really a problem at all, from Palm's point of view, or a deliberate act to make Palm phones more attractive to add into the official carriers' sortiment?
    Are they even willing to fix this?

Okay, Finns are prone to be pessimistic, right?
    Looking at my palm profile there is an interesting thing there: I activated my phone using a swedish SIM-card, in Sweden. It is a German phone bought in Germany while I was there over New Years and yet the profile says "Country: United Kingdom" (and lists my Swedish number).
    I just want to confirm with everyone who is seeing zero apps in the catalog that apps that you already have on your phones are updating normally without any problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemstil View Post
    Are they able to fix the problem? Is it really a problem at all, from Palm's point of view, or a deliberate act to make Palm phones more attractive to add into the official carriers' sortiment?
    Are they even willing to fix this?
    They are trying to keep us from using any WebOS products. I tried to buy Pre in UK (no, sorry), Germany (no), and from Palm (I even faxed to them), but no. I have been using Palm products for several years and I find this kind of "customer support" pretty annoying. I understand that they may not be interested in spending money in marketing here, but why are they doing everything to keep people from buying their products? Sigh.
    Last edited by jmpre; 01/21/2010 at 05:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    That's logical. That's the Country you selected at Profile creation.
    You selected English, and then UK. The number is the sim you had inserted at the time.
    Ahh right. I thought I was only setting the language of the phone not the country of the entire profile
    This is what HardBeatZ says on the official Palm forum:

If you purchased an unlocked Palm Pre in Europe using a SIM card from a wireless service provider from a country other than Germany, Ireland, Spain, or the UK, the error message
    “App Catalog unavailable” appears when you open the App Catalog. Your Palm profile is associated with the country and wireless service provider of the SIM card in the phone when you created your profile. At the present time, apps are certified for Germany, Ireland, Spain, and the UK. App Catalog is unavailable unless your SIM card is from one of these four countries. To fix the problem, create a new Palm profile using a SIM card from a wireless service provider in Germany, Ireland, Spain, or the UK. Turn off your phone, inserted the new SIM card, turn the phone on, and perform a partial erase. After the phone restarts, create a new Palm profile. Once the profile is created, shut down the phone, insert your original SIM card, and restart the phone. Log in to the newly-created profile. Open App Catalog to see available apps.
    After upgrading to 1.3.1 WebOS no access to App Catalog - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
  17.    #197  
    It cannot be quite that way since we have folks posting that they have activated their Palm Pres in Hong Kong and Australia using their local SIM cards and yet have access to free apps in the catalog.
    Either there's a bug in Palm's system inadvertently allowing HK and Australia OR there's something about the number of users in each "unofficial" country which also matters.
    It cannot be quite that way since we have folks posting that they have activated their Palm Pres in Hong Kong and Australia using their local SIM cards and yet have access to free apps in the catalog.
    Either there's a bug in Palm's system inadvertently allowing HK and Australia OR there's something about the number of users in each "unofficial" country which also matters.
    Yes HardBeatZ is incorrect on a number of points, from my experience in Australia

HardBeatZ
    If you purchased an unlocked Palm Pre in Europe using a SIM card from a wireless service provider from a country other than Germany, Ireland, Spain, or the UK, the error message “App Catalog unavailable” appears when you open the App Catalog.
    No. I see what appears to be the free items from the Spanish Catalog with my local SIM.

HardBeatZ
    Your Palm profile is associated with the country and wireless service provider of the SIM card in the phone when you created your profile.
    Obviously not. Seems more likely to be your profile setup responses and the hardware.

HardBeatZ
    App Catalog is unavailable unless your SIM card is from one of these four countries.
    Not true. I do not have a full Catalog but certainly don't get the error message.
    yep. so far, we've seen a lot of discrepancies, and to their credit, HardBeatZ and Rod Whitby are trying to comment on the issue to the best of their knowledge.

but it's become patently clear now that there is some geofilering going on, and that the root of the problem lies with Palm's servers.

we need to get through to the right people to fix this. Ruby's been contacted on Facebook, but can we get to the VP of Engineering or something? Palm might be a relatively small company compared to Apple, but with just over a thousand employees worldwide it's quite sizable too, and memos might get lost in the mix.
  20.    #200  
    I guess we have to be patient. There's hope as per this note from my dev contact:

We’re working on expanding the list of countries where the App Catalog is available as soon as possible.