Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I am wondering if this transition will be easy.... I have looked at a ton of smart phones and found this one to be the most suitable. What is the general consensus?

Thanks in advance and please don't flame me to bad
    well it depends if you want to go with what has more potential or whats already established
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    well it depends if you want to go with what has more potential or whats already established
    I think he/she is asking how tough will it be to get used to a Pre after having an iPhone.

Maybe.
    you can goto sprint or radioshack store to hand some hand on, Pre plus will be more or less the same, maybe there will be more system upgrade tho, I heard VZ will have WebOS 1.4 preinstalled, so it will be faster, bigger HDD, etc

the device is very intuitive, I dont think there will be much learning curve. just remember to swipe up from below screen.
    ok i was having trouble understanding the question there
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    a bit of both actually. I looked at the droid and hated the fact that it was not as fluid as the iphone. I use the phone as a email, texting and facebook center as well as some browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    ok i was having trouble understanding the question there
    No worries, it could easily go the way you were thinking too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I think he/she is asking how tough will it be to get used to a Pre after having an iPhone.

Maybe.
    He's coming from AT&T. If he gets the Pre Plus on Verizon, he'll already be used to the pricey monthly plans
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I am big into the jailbreaking side of the iphone. It seems that the same is able to be done with the pre. Is that what the homebrew stuff is about?
    Quote Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
    I am big into the jailbreaking side of the iphone. It seems that the same is able to be done with the pre. Is that what the homebrew stuff is about?
    well your in for a surprise then first off not only will homebrew not void your warranty but its practically encouraged by palm so no worries there
    The "jailbreaking" of the Pre is actually sanctioned by Palm with Palm provided tools. But yes, the homebrew community is into "hacking" the Pre.

You just don't have to worry about being sued.
    Yes, WebOS is fully customizable. Palm made this pretty easy for us. They also gave us a way to easily restore to factory default if we mess up the OS
    I've had an iPhone and now have the Pre. The Pre has a steeper learning curve but once you get the hang of it all, it's quite impressive. Synergy and OTA syncing are really nice and very useful. Multitasking is a plus, too.
    What it comes down to is the OS. WebOS is currently the most powerful and fun to use mobile OS. I'm unsure why Palm doesn't license it to others. Can you imagine your 3GS with the Pre's abilities? Talk about a 'Superphone'
    i disagree the things palm should be pushing should have been along the idont ad lines
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Well needless to say I am stoked about this phone. Do the pre's run as fluid as the iphone?
    not quite theres some lag on app opening and the multi-touch gestures could be smoother but it equals out with multitasking so you dont have to open an app then have to close it for another one
    in terms of contacts and whatnot just make sure you have everything uploaded from the iphone to a gmail or yahoo account and the switch should go fine.

The pre's take a while to load up apps, but you can leave apps up so that is not as much of an issue. The browser does have some memory leaks. The pre-plus will have web os 1.4 so hopefully some of these issues will be fixed. It also appears that the GPU may be used sometime in the near future. If that occurs expect iphone level smoothness.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkmc View Post
    I'm unsure why Palm doesn't license it to others. Can you imagine your 3GS with the Pre's abilities? Talk about a 'Superphone'
    I think Palm just said they would consider it, and they dont hold WebOS as "religion".

I think if it makes sense as well as decent $$$, there is no reason why Palm can't license it out.

WebOS on 3GS will be good, but apple won't allow it. also WebOS needs a dedicated gesture area, which iPhone doesn't have.
    oh also, with the browser, it helps a ton to install an ad-blocking patch. I know one is avaiable through webos quick-install, but I believe others are available as well. This will be especially important once flash is enabled.
    Hi EAkrish,
    I use the phone as a email, texting and facebook center as well as some browsing.
    In that case, I imagine you would find the Pre a pleasure to use after an iPhone. The biggest reason I opted for the Pre was so that I could multi-task. When using my laptop, I tend to bounce between different programs (calendars, emails, etc.) and applied the same logic to getting a smartphone. I can safely say that I made the right decision, as I use it all the time.

As for the actual transition; that will be more getting used to the physical gestures. It will probably be easier for you coming from another smartphone that people like me who came from intellectually-challenged-phones. The gesture system is much more versatile than an iPhone but shouldn't take too long to get used to.

As 036_xobx stated, there is a lot of potential in the Pre, however, it is a first gen WebOS system so you may find it frustrating that there are not as many apps available or certain functions aren't fully functional at first. Of course, you can consider this somewhat exciting, as each update we get at the moment doesn't just give us minor tweaks, but significant performance gains or functionality.

The best idea is what clevin suggested. Pop to a local shop and give one a try. See how it feels in your hand. I'm sure you'll find it as pleasant as the majority of us do!

Edit: As I'm at work, it took me so long to write that quitwe a few iothers have posted in between. Doh! (I suppose it is 3.30am..)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast