Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I accidentally (it definitely wasn't on purpose) dropped my Pre in the toilet. I immediately took it out, took out the battery, and put it in rice. I remember there was something else I'm supposed to do, and I'm not sure how long to wait. Does anybody have any feedback? I remember there being a previous thread about someone doing the same thing but I couldn't find it. Also, I just had the insurance taken off last month.
  2. #2  
    try waiting around 48 hours if you can and its a good idea to go ahead and re-instate that insurance
  3. #3  
    They probably won't let you reinstate the insurance. Sprint is smarter than that. however rice is a good choice. 2 days (as stated before) should be fine. However if you are super paranoid get some silica gel packs to really dry the thing out.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    try waiting around 48 hours if you can and its a good idea to go ahead and re-instate that insurance
    Heck yea slap that insurance back on, and if you have any silica packets(from old sneaker boxes and such) make sure those go in there with the rice!!

    Good luck and i hope all turns out well.

    (I also hope the that it was a clean toilet..) palm ****!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post
    They probably won't let you reinstate the insurance. Sprint is smarter than that. however rice is a good choice. 2 days (as stated before) should be fine. However if you are super paranoid get some silica gel packs to really dry the thing out.
    I thought the same thing about the insurance for a sec. Anyone know how to get it back on incase...
  6. #6  
    seems like itd be no biggie i went into sprint with a bricked pre (hardware failure) and no insurance and the rep quietly put insurance onto my account so i could bypass the channels of dealing with palm all in all ive been pretty satisfied
  7. #7  
    Beg Sprint for insurance? They will be suspicious though. And even more suspicious when you file a claim the day after it's reinstated lol. Don't even bother with it. Try to dry it out. If that doesn't work, then I guess ebay is your best bet...
  8. #8  
    DH once lost a phone before we got insurance and Sprint wouldn't replace the phone unless at least 1 call had been placed after the insurance was put on it.
  9. #9  
    thats actually pretty smart of them idk how the rep who helped me was able to cheat the system but i guess somethings are better left unquestioned
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    DH once lost a phone before we got insurance and Sprint wouldn't replace the phone unless at least 1 call had been placed after the insurance was put on it.
    That seems logical for them to do actually.. We're crossing our fingers for you OP.
  11.    #11  
    Well I decided not to bother with insurance, too much trouble, plus its technically defrauding the insurance company. No better than stealing. So I'll just wait it out, I got it in the rice fairly quickly.

    What are my options if I bring in a bricked Pre to Sprint and explain the situation truthfully?

    Any chance I could get a refurbed Pre for cheap?


    Oh wait never mind its all good. I'll just take it out of the rice, turn it back on and run WebOS Doctor. That should fix it right?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Well I decided not to bother with insurance, too much trouble, plus its technically defrauding the insurance company. No better than stealing.
    Not really. You say youv'e been paying for insurance up until last month, therefore you have already paid into Assurion's "trust fund".
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Well I decided not to bother with insurance, too much trouble, plus its technically defrauding the insurance company. No better than stealing. So I'll just wait it out, I got it in the rice fairly quickly.

    What are my options if I bring in a bricked Pre to Sprint and explain the situation truthfully?

    Any chance I could get a refurbed Pre for cheap?


    Oh wait never mind its all good. I'll just take it out of the rice, turn it back on and run WebOS Doctor. That should fix it right?
    If you bring it to Sprint and tell them the truth, they aren't going to do anything for you. I believe they have a way to check for water damage too.

    As for WebOS Doc, I'm hoping you're being sarcastic lol...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

    As for WebOS Doc, I'm hoping you're being sarcastic lol...
    i dont think he is but i could be wrong
  15.    #15  
    No I was definitely being sarcastic. I was kind of hoping I would get a serious response though lol.
  16. Kaerey's Avatar
    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Ok so I accidentally (it definitely wasn't on purpose) dropped my Pre in the toilet. I immediately took it out, took out the battery, and put it in rice. I remember there was something else I'm supposed to do, and I'm not sure how long to wait. Does anybody have any feedback? I remember there being a previous thread about someone doing the same thing but I couldn't find it. Also, I just had the insurance taken off last month.
    The other kind of step was to place it in a somewhat warm/sunny location.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  17.    #17  
    I placed it on top of my running dryer machine. Slight vibration + heat. Its also in a bowl of rice... is that ok because I've heard elsewhere to put it in a bag?
  18. #18  
    bag of rice.

    vibration might not be a good idea as you don't want water to running around.
  19.    #19  
    So is that a for sure on the bag? Like its going to make a difference whether its in a bag or a bowl?

    As for the vibration its very slight, and all the noticeable water has been dried by now.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    I placed it on top of my running dryer machine. Slight vibration + heat. Its also in a bowl of rice... is that ok because I've heard elsewhere to put it in a bag?
    The ideal would be to submerge the device (without battery and cover)in rice and then place that in a bag in a slightly warm, possibly sunny (not hot) area. The idea with the bag is to give the rice the ability to draw the moisture out of the device. Give it a couple days for the moisture to work its way out and then check to see of you find any more moisture visible. The longer you can leave your device to dry, the better chances you will have... it usually takes a couple of days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions