Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Sprint Pre's Oreo Effect is slowly getting worse. I'm thinking I will switch to VZW if the Pre Plus fixes this design flaw. Anybody think (or know if) Palm addressed Oreo with the Pre Plus?
    Last edited by PreJamison; 01/11/2010 at 08:46 PM.
    I read somewhere here, that day or right after, that the Plus had a 'confident snap' to it when slid open.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I wish the refurb I get has this issue addressed.
    you're going to switch to verizon because of that..... you're a damn fool

with the price difference in rate plans alone you could buy a new Pre instead lol
    Ditto! No better plans than Sprint vs Verizon.
    Yeah it's not worth changing plans for. Still good that it got fixed. Hopefully that means they'll integrate the changes into future pre's. As it is, having a little oreo isn't that bad. I'll stick it out with sprint until they have a WiMAX offering then upgrade.

As an aside sprint seems to have installed a new tower near the University of Wisconsin school of medicine. I went from basically zero bars while indoors to a full five bars today. It made my day (no more having to use forced roaming).
    Plus sprint has been totally good about replacing phones that have serious issues (my power button broke and I got a new one no questions asked)
    mine has always had a "confident snap" to it.
    This thread is giving me the "munchies"
    Yet another thread title in the form of a factual statement when the OP has a question.

I must accept that I will never understand the Internets or the people that (mis)use them.
    In Engadget's Podcast for Palm's event they talked about how Palm addressed these flaws like the slider. They described the Plus's to have emperor build quality compared to the regular Pre.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    In Engadget's Podcast for Palm's event they talked about how Palm addressed these flaws like the slider. They described the Plus's to have emperor build quality compared to the regular Pre.
    That hurts Still not enough for me to leave Sprint.

Plus whatever device replaces the Pre will also have those issues addressed. Waited for the original Pre I can surely wait for Pre2.

People just have to relax, all good things come to those who wait.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by morelloX View Post
    you're going to switch to verizon because of that..... you're a damn fool

with the price difference in rate plans alone you could buy a new Pre instead lol
    I went back and checked: With my employer discount my last VZW bill in Sept. was $73.69 (didn't have nav though). My current Sprint bill is $73.88.

Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post
    Plus sprint has been totally good about replacing phones that have serious issues (my power button broke and I got a new one no questions asked)
    How bad does the Oreo effect have to get before Sprint will take it back? I'm just worried because it seems to get worse each month.

Quote Originally Posted by scottitude View Post
    Yet another thread title in the form of a factual statement when the OP has a question.

I must accept that I will never understand the Internets or the people that (mis)use them.
    My bad. Tried to update the title, but couldn't. Oh and are you sure your post follows the "internet rules" precisely:

"Taking Threads Off Topic - (aka Thread Crapping) While the interplay of a conversation on these forums will naturally wander, users must not intentionally try to derail a thread from its original topic."
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    I went back and checked: With my employer discount my last VZW bill in Sept. was $73.69 (didn't have nav though). My current Sprint bill is $73.88.
    Do you have an employee discount on your Sprint line as well? It should drop considerably with said discount. And you should really be mad at Palm, since they're really the ones that control the manufacturing and release cycle.
    The thing is I bet the CES model of the Sprint Palm Pre didn't have the oreo effect either... We'll only know when we start getting the the mass produced ones from VZW. I hope it is fixed because it annoys the hell out of me. Not enough to leave Sprint or the Pre but it certainly needs to be fixed.
    How bad does the Oreo effect have to get before Sprint will take it back? I'm just worried because it seems to get worse each month.
    I've found that this is entirely up to each store location to decide. My second unit (and still within my first 30 days with Sprint) was oreo'ing pretty badly. I took it in to the LaSalle Street location in Chicago and they told me nothing was wrong with it. I pointed out the fact that the unit was still under the 30 trial policy and had way too much wiggle in the slider. They actually told me (if you can believe it) to go look at their demo devices they have on display and I would "see that this is normal". I looked at the completely beat-up display units and saw they actually had sliders that were (literally) oreo'ing 15 degrees to the right (pointing to the 3 o'clock position). And they called THAT normal movement for the slider.

My point being... it is completely up to each store (and their arrogant workers) to decide if they want to be benevolent to you or not. That particular store (for me) actually told me they didn't care if I canceled my contract because they simply weren't going to give me a swap. Another store I went to was able to swap it out for me with no problems.

You will take your chances trying to get a swap, but if you are told 'no' somewhere... just go to another store until you get a good employee.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Do you have an employee discount on your Sprint line as well? It should drop considerably with said discount. And you should really be mad at Palm, since they're really the ones that control the manufacturing and release cycle.
    Yes. I have an employer discount with Sprint too.

Also, I'm not really mad at anyone. I had heard of the oreo effect before I bought my Pre. I decided having the Pre was worth the minor yet very annoying defect. I am just worried that it will become a larger than expected problem. If my Pre has oreo after 4 months, what will it look like after 24 months? Also, I noticed that Sprints current upgrade program is subject to terminate at will and their website says it will terminate on FEB 14, 2010. Who knows what the upgrade program will look like after that???

Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    The thing is I bet the CES model of the Sprint Palm Pre didn't have the oreo effect either... We'll only know when we start getting the the mass produced ones from VZW. I hope it is fixed because it annoys the hell out of me.
    Good point. Also, my Pre felt very solid when I bought it; but, it has slowly gotten looser over the past 4 months. I also worry that the Pre Plus, being a somewhat new build, may have it's own early adopter bugs that will need worked out. But, hopefully Palm learned from their first experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    just go to another store until you get a good employee.
    Thanks for the info
    you can upgrade after 12 months.
    Did you have a Smartphone on Verizon and similar minutes/ulimited texting/data/etc? When I switched from Verizon my bill was also nearly identical to Sprint's. However, I was on a "dumb" touch screen phone with unlimited internet/texting. If I wanted to run a smartphone, it would have cost ~$23 more a month or $33 if I wanted navigation. That would have still only been 450 minutes, while I get unlimited mobile to mobile on Sprint and unlimited calling to 5 landlines of my choice (not an option on the Verizon 450 min plan). Because I was switching from Verizon, I got Sprint to add in pick 5 numbers for free to my account.

So overall, Sprint is a far better deal even if the Verizon Pre is better build/specs. Plus, you can always upgrade in 1 year to the next Pre which will hopefully be 4G. Just make sure your account gets upgraded to a Premier account once it has been 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    the next Pre which will hopefully be 4G.
    Clear said there will be no 4G handhelds before the end of this year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast