Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I didn't have good luck trying to get my Pre replaced under warranty at my local sprint store, people suggested to try another one.

That said, does it matter if the store has repair capabilities? Most of the corporate Sprint stores around here don't have that option. Just wondering because I don't want to go in and waste my time if they won't be able to look at my phone and finally give me a refurb because it acts screwy.

Thanks

(btw I have overheating/LCD issues)
    Many Corporate Sprint stores have a repair site in them, but not all. You can usually expect to get your unit physically looked at sooner, and sometimes even repaired. But how they respond to you depends a lot on the type of plan you have, the problem(s) with your phone, and other intangibles. I've had good luck with them and it always can't hurt to try. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    I didn't have good luck trying to get my Pre replaced under warranty at my local sprint store, people suggested to try another one.

That said, does it matter if the store has repair capabilities? Most of the corporate Sprint stores around here don't have that option. Just wondering because I don't want to go in and waste my time if they won't be able to look at my phone and finally give me a refurb because it acts screwy.

Thanks

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I've found that the service at my Sprint store ranges from unsatisfactory to abysmal. I now try to avoid it altogether.
    No Sprint store can work on the pre as far as I know. It's not serviceable at all.
    I just went to a good store today and they gave me a brand new one.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    What's wrong with your phone? I've exchanged two Pre handsets in the store for BRAND NEW ONES.

I'm more than happy to give you some advice if you detail the trouble you're having.
    It has to be a repair center.

Really, all they do is have a tech check for a few indicators that you somehow damaged the phone. If they get an all clear, they'll usually just replace it even if they can't reproduce the problem.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I've had hit and miss service at Sprint repair/sales centers. In Tampa, where I got the unit back in June, I had the first one replaced for free (I've got TEP) for oreo and power button issues. Then I went to DC on an extended business trip and my LCD started having issues (bubbles under the screen from the lower corner growing towards the center). The DC shop said it was the glue holding the LCD to the top screen coming loose, hence what looked like bubbles. They also said it was cosmetic and since it didn't affect the functionality they wouldn't replace it even though it was getting worse. Tried 2 different DC stores got the same runaround and poor customer service. Went back to Tampa over Christmas break, went back to the same original shop and had it swapped out, no questions asked, again for free. As it turns out, that replacement's center button got stuck in the down position after one day so they swapped that one out too.

Moral of the story: hit or miss with service centers. In DC they've got crappy customer service, no-nothing reps and techs, and stick to some locally made-up party line. Tampa was much more agreeable, helpful, and willing to work with the TEP plan.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    What's wrong with your phone? I've exchanged two Pre handsets in the store for BRAND NEW ONES.

I'm more than happy to give you some advice if you detail the trouble you're having.
    Sure,

Ok I'll start off by saying I love the Pre.. One of the best phones I've ever owned.

That aside, I have LCD leakage all along the bottom on the screen right above the gesture area, on a white background you can clearly see it as yellowish and on a dark BG it looks white. As I use the phone and it gets warm, esp. after a charge it is VERY noticeable. I took it to a Sprint store and a tech even looked at it and said "Wow that is bad it will probably go out in a few months, but if your phone works we can't replace it." I was shocked, and I had no choice but to just retreat home.

Now I am not trying to scam Palm, I genuinely feel like my phone is damaged in some way because my brother also has as Pre and his doesn't have this problem what-so-ever.

I will be locked into this phone until June 2011 (hopefully new Pre is around by then) and I just want to have a device with either no issues or issues that don't relate to functionality of the LCD screen.

I've also never dropped my phone and it has a BSE skin over it.

Any advice you had would be greatly appreciated, I am going to go back to a Sprint store when I get off work Friday evening and try my luck again.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kotkinjs1 View Post
    I've had hit and miss service at Sprint repair/sales centers. In Tampa, where I got the unit back in June, I had the first one replaced for free (I've got TEP) for oreo and power button issues. Then I went to DC on an extended business trip and my LCD started having issues (bubbles under the screen from the lower corner growing towards the center). The DC shop said it was the glue holding the LCD to the top screen coming loose, hence what looked like bubbles. They also said it was cosmetic and since it didn't affect the functionality they wouldn't replace it even though it was getting worse. Tried 2 different DC stores got the same runaround and poor customer service. Went back to Tampa over Christmas break, went back to the same original shop and had it swapped out, no questions asked, again for free. As it turns out, that replacement's center button got stuck in the down position after one day so they swapped that one out too.

Moral of the story: hit or miss with service centers. In DC they've got crappy customer service, no-nothing reps and techs, and stick to some locally made-up party line. Tampa was much more agreeable, helpful, and willing to work with the TEP plan.
    I have an identical issue almost (no bubbles in mine just very bad light leakage) and they told me the same thing at my local store. They even acknowledged that it looks horrible but said it is just cosmetic.

I'm not going to be traveling to a different city to try to get this issue resolved hopefully driving across town will do the trick.

Thanks

The best thing to do is go to sprint.com, click the "find a store" link at the top of the page. In the page that pops up, enter your zip code and make sure you select the "repair centers near me" option.

If there are no repair centers within 50 miles of you, it will give you the link for the online warranty replacement process.

~Bowen
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
    The best thing to do is go to sprint.com, click the "find a store" link at the top of the page. In the page that pops up, enter your zip code and make sure you select the "repair centers near me" option.

If there are no repair centers within 50 miles of you, it will give you the link for the online warranty replacement process.

~Bowen
    Could I just use the online warranty process and avoid going to a store all together? I could be without my Pre for a few weeks, I'll just go back to my Centro for the time being. It will be rough, but I can handle it if I will get defect/issue free phone.
    Could I just use the online warranty process and avoid going to a store all together? I could be without my Pre for a few weeks, I'll just go back to my Centro for the time being. It will be rough, but I can handle it if I will get defect/issue free phone.
    If you are within 50 miles of one, it will not give you the link. I suppose you could fudge the zip code to try and get the link ... once upon a time I had to use the online option and it was a smooth and happy transaction. But, when I had to replace my Pre I learned that my local Sprint had since then become a repair center as well. Gotta say, it was nice to get my phone replaced on the spot ... even if the guy I talked to was an *****.

He actually told me didn't like the Pre because you couldn't throw it (he actually said, "Can you do this?" and threw his BlackBerry ... what an *****). And that it couldn't roam on data networks (I then told him how you just had to enable data roaming in preferences). It's guys like him that hurt the Pre's reputation for no reason, and it drives me freakin nuts! (this was totally off topic, sorry)

~Bowen
    Last edited by sirbowen1982; 01/11/2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: double take