Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's face it, with the update that's about to drop, the release condition of WebOS, the build quality of the Pre, and the bumped up memory/storage numbers for VZW, Sprint and Bell users were essentially beta testing the Pre this last7/8 months. It's clear that 1.4 should have been the 1.0 version of the phone. To my knowledge, there has never been a phone that went through these kinds of software changes. All things point to the initial release occurring when it did to combat the launch of the iPhone 3GS.

I'm fully aware what it means to be an early adopter, but the early going with the Pre was a bit much. The rapid updates saved it, but to me, it makes it more obvious that the phone was still late in development and by no means a finished but flawed product.

That said, minus the obvious downs that went with the ups, the crippled Pre was still the best cell phone I've ever had by far. Might not be saying much for some, but I've only had Sprint or Nextel phones since around 2000. I do have to say that I'm not sure I would still have been here if it wasn't for the homebrew/tweaker devs. But at this point, I'm glad that I toughed it out.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I'm not being a troll... but can we PLEASE STOP WITH THE SAME OLE COMPLAINTS OVER AND OVER?!?!?!

We have all read this before in many other threads...

We get it... a company in some people eyes cannot ever come out with a better product mnts later without them thinking they were duped....

Can you imagine what the same people would think about camera manufactures that come out with a better model or refresh sometimes only 1 mnt later?
    Last edited by mrkalel; 01/11/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Maybe it applies to you, but not to me.

I still have my release day Pre. No hardware problems.
    I was never promised a later model wouldn't be improved. That's not "beta testing", that's development.

You said it yourself, "the crippled Pre was still the best cell phone". So how does having the best make one a beta tester, simply because the "best" gets "better"?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I'm more than fine with it because

1) I knew what I was getting from day 1
    2) the pre community during this so called "beta" phase has added so much to this phone
    3) I've never had a build quality issue and other than a extra 8gb we all will have the same pre.

Technology chages quickly and so far what I've seen palm is making improvements every 6 months. I'm very interested where webos and the pre will be 6 months from now and if the is a new phone then I'll get that
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I guess it comes down to what your expectations are with any technology. This was first smart phone so with no real basis of comparison I have been very satisfied with the phone (other than no voice dial that is). Compared to my dumb phones this phone has been leaps and bounds better and seamingly getting improvements on a regular basis. I'm still on my launch day phone so if I was a beta tester the phone definitely passed the test.
    Last edited by edlex; 01/11/2010 at 05:15 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I'm not being a troll... but can we PLEASE STOP WITH THE SAME OLE COMPLAINTS OVER AND OVER?!?!?!

We have all read this before in many other threads...

We get it... a company in some people eyes cannot ever come out with a better product mnts later without them thinking they were duped....

Can you imagine what they same people would think about camera manufactures that come out with a better model or refresh sometimes only 1 mnt later?
    Calm, down. It's not a complaint, just an observation. I'm actually quite happy, sorry it didn't come across that way.
    lol wut? Should first-gen iPhone users be angry at being "beta testers" because they bought a phone without copy&paste, without 3G, without MMS, without video recording, no exchange support, a slow UI and terrible call quality? This is the technology world, my friend. It evolves quickly, products are constantly revised. I would argue that Palm has done an EXCEPTIONAL job of pushing out very rapid OTA updates that enhance the phone tremendously. Just because products are constantly updated and refined, doesn't mean that those of us that got one early were guinea pigs.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Maybe it applies to you, but not to me.

I still have my release day Pre. No hardware problems.
    I was never promised a later model wouldn't be improved. That's not "beta testing", that's development.

You said it yourself, "the crippled Pre was still the best cell phone". So how does having the best make one a beta tester, simply because the "best" gets "better"?
    Only a beta tester because the initial release phone was no where near where the phone is now. And I'm talking about the Sprint Pre, not the upcoming one.

Step back people. This isn't "I'm ****ed because they updated the Pre for VZW!" thread. Just a commentary on the way Palm handled the progression of the Pre for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Only a beta tester because the initial release phone was no where near where the phone is now. And I'm talking about the Sprint Pre, not the upcoming one.

Step back people. This isn't "I'm ****ed because they updated the Pre for VZW!" thread. Just a commentary on the way Palm handled the progression of the Pre for Sprint.
    You basically have the same phone, yes the sprint one, it's just now developers have more access to your phone to give you a better experience. I'm willing to bet people who stuck with webos not because where it was initially but because they saw the potential of webos.

Bottom line: you've enjoyed your phone for the last few months and you'll enjoy it more later yet your still bi tching
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

"Step back people"??... This exactly a "I'm ****ed off over the VZW Pre" Thread...

How better could Palm handle the "progression of the Pre" better on Sprint?
    Would you have felt all warm and cozy inside if the Pre Plus came out on Sprint right now as well?.... SMH

Can the Mods please close this thing off?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    You basically have the same phone, yes the sprint one, it's just now developers have more access to your phone to give you a better experience. I'm willing to bet people who stuck with webos not because where it was initially but because they saw the potential of webos.

Bottom line: you've enjoyed your phone for the last few months and you'll enjoy it more later yet your still bi tching
    Heh, I'm actually praising how far things have come to get the phone where it is.

I guess with all the haters that come through here on a daily basis any negative comment that pops up in a post becomes bi tching. Sheesh.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    "Step back people"??... This exactly a "I'm ****ed off over the VZW Pre" Thread...

How better could Palm handle the "progression of the Pre" better on Sprint?
    Would you have felt all warm and cozy inside if the Pre Plus came out on Sprint right now as well?.... SMH

Can the Mods please close this thing off?
    They handled it quite well. I'm happy where the Sprint Pre is now, just now a while back. I couldn't care less about the Pre Plus being on VZW. The only reason I mentioned that is because Palm may have used feedback from the Sprint users' experiences over the last few months to determine the original Pre needed a little help. At the same, it could have just been progression.

Lighten up.
    How do I feel?
    GREAT. 100%
    I have been there from the beginning of something fantastic.
    For those of you who have not liked it then just remember that down the road you can say that you remember when.
    Hell I remember when I had to look at a green monitor and thought an amber one was an upgrade. Internet speed was only one "click" at a time and when I found a new news bulletin board I called my friends. I even remember when I got a computer (without chips) to count after feeding only a few hundred cards into it.
    OK fine, I'm get up there in years but hell STOP complaining. Many of you have the opportunity to see some fantastic stuff 30-60 years from now.
    I feel awesome.
    Pre is a super sexy phone. Love it.
    Nothing is perfect, if you want perfection be a God.
    OP. Please. Grow up. It's called progress. You bought an analog TV, didn't you? Well, it's digital now sucker. What a beta tester you've been!!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    im happy that im a "beta tester"
  17.    #17  
    To all:

I'm not sure people even read my whole post, the last paragraph is my point.

My point was I'm HAPPY and AMAZED how much work has been done on the SPRINT Pre since launch and for not abandoning a fledgling device.

Try to give Palm a compliment and get accused of compaining. I don't understand...
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    OP. Please. Grow up. It's called progress. You bought an analog TV, didn't you? Well, it's digital now sucker. What a beta tester you've been!!
    Nicely put.

Seriously everyone is a beta tester. The Pre Plus is a beta test till WebOS 2.0 comes out. Etc. Iphone was a beta til 3g came and then that was til 3gs came. All those who had regular iPhones complained just like you are now doing. There will ALWAYS be something more to be desired. I doubt one will ever find the PERFECT anything to which there is 0 complaints. If there is that out already go get it and never let it go.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Let's face it, with the update that's about to drop, the release condition of WebOS, the build quality of the Pre, and the bumped up memory/storage numbers for VZW, Sprint and Bell users were essentially beta testing the Pre this last7/8 months. It's clear that 1.4 should have been the 1.0 version of the phone. To my knowledge, there has never been a phone that went through these kinds of software changes. All things point to the initial release occurring when it did to combat the launch of the iPhone 3GS.

Thoughts?

C'mon... You thing the iPhone was polished when it was released? WinMo? You think all the Palms before the Pre were perfect? You think Droid is optimized? What about all the software apps that are developed for imperfect OS's....? Technical consumers generally understand this and the non-technical consumers are generally quite pleased with the smart phone functionality that the Pre provides. I only wish MS released updates as quickly as Palm has...
    Hi,

I'm sure your intent was complimentary. However, using terms like "beta tester" and "crippled Pre" tends to set folks off, as it seems you're complaining about the release version of the Pre.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast