Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60
  1. #41  
    Another one of these threads, PEOPLE WAKE UP!
    Nothing was a surprise, I have been a beta tester for Pre, for iphone, for G1.
    For half my cameras including Canon 5DMk2 which had very real issues that were eventually fixed by firmware updates. I used to work in graphics and we had printers that were always in Beta and they cost $20,000.
    I look over a myriad of Dell's each new model has it's own release issues, Bios updates some of which are not corrected for Months and updates that happen for years (no features just fixes. My Mac Book Pro and my Mac Pro have updates frequently and my God, my Adobe Master Collection seems like it is updated daily.
    My Cable box and Direct TV Boxes have updates.
    So what is with these worthless thread?
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Let's face it, with the update that's about to drop, the release condition of WebOS, the build quality of the Pre, and the bumped up memory/storage numbers for VZW, Sprint and Bell users were essentially beta testing the Pre this last7/8 months. It's clear that 1.4 should have been the 1.0 version of the phone. To my knowledge, there has never been a phone that went through these kinds of software changes. All things point to the initial release occurring when it did to combat the launch of the iPhone 3GS.

    I'm fully aware what it means to be an early adopter, but the early going with the Pre was a bit much. The rapid updates saved it, but to me, it makes it more obvious that the phone was still late in development and by no means a finished but flawed product.

    That said, minus the obvious downs that went with the ups, the crippled Pre was still the best cell phone I've ever had by far. Might not be saying much for some, but I've only had Sprint or Nextel phones since around 2000. I do have to say that I'm not sure I would still have been here if it wasn't for the homebrew/tweaker devs. But at this point, I'm glad that I toughed it out.

    Thoughts?
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...bout-next.html
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, you know what they say about assuming....it makes you look like an ***.

    Yes, I've read all your reiterations that you were trying to do a positive post, but I would love to hear what you say to your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend: "Boy Honey, your *** is twice as big as my my mom's, I think I got a 10 foot length of rope out back you could use for a belt, your teeth look like you've been opening beer bottles with them, your breath smells like a mouse crawled up your nose and died, and your lazy eye sure is pointing to the left today, but boy-o-boy am I glad we are together!"
    *** are you talking about?

    You have issues if you start comparing a phone to a human being.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Another one of these threads, PEOPLE WAKE UP!
    Nothing was a surprise, I have been a beta tester for Pre, for iphone, for G1.
    For half my cameras including Canon 5DMk2 which had very real issues that were eventually fixed by firmware updates. I used to work in graphics and we had printers that were always in Beta and they cost $20,000.
    I look over a myriad of Dell's each new model has it's own release issues, Bios updates some of which are not corrected for Months and updates that happen for years (no features just fixes. My Mac Book Pro and my Mac Pro have updates frequently and my God, my Adobe Master Collection seems like it is updated daily.
    My Cable box and Direct TV Boxes have updates.
    So what is with these worthless thread?
    The point was to have a dialogue about their experience with the Pre over these last 7 months. Would you agree that the Pre is much more enjoyable now than it was on June 6? I do, so I wondered what others thought. Such as:

    Were you basically fine with the Pre as it functioned from launch and each update was a nice surprise?

    Did you wake up everyday checking for an update that hoped would address this or that issue?

    Were you debating getting rid of the Pre because it wasn't working like you'd hoped but happy you stuck it out?


    Just simple conversation. I'm sorry it was misinterpreted as another complaint thread. A few people understood my meaning and provided some thoughts on their experience.

    I'll take note that "beta tester" is a pejorative term and to not mention the VZW versions in later posts
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    To my knowledge, there has never been a phone that went through these kinds of software changes.

    Then you haven't paid much attention. The iphone did the same, except that people had to make the same idiotic complaints for a lot longer in between major updates.

    To answer your original question, "how do I feel about being a beta tester," I feel just fine.

    While you 'say' that you understand what it means to be an early adopter, the very fact that you would even ask such a question means that you in fact, do not understand what it means to be an early adopter.

    I do understand that, and I knew that I was volunteering for it, so I feel just fine about it.

    Mr. Troll, please go find the bridge you came out from under and crawl back under it.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    lol wut? Should first-gen iPhone users be angry at being "beta testers" because they bought a phone without copy&paste, without 3G, without MMS, without video recording, no exchange support, a slow UI and terrible call quality? This is the technology world, my friend. It evolves quickly, products are constantly revised. I would argue that Palm has done an EXCEPTIONAL job of pushing out very rapid OTA updates that enhance the phone tremendously. Just because products are constantly updated and refined, doesn't mean that those of us that got one early were guinea pigs.
    +1
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  7. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    How do you feel about having unknowingly been a beta tester?
    Pretty good, thanks for asking! Glad it only cost me $199 to do it!

    I suspect the root of your issue is the "unknowingly" part. It shows a lack of understanding for how the march of technological progress works.

    Should black and white televisions never have been sold because they should have just waited until they developed the color ones? Should regular tube televisions never have been sold because they should have all been wide screen plasmas from the start? Should ninety years worth of cars never have been sold because they should have just waited until the airbag got developed?

    We are all beta testers for everything we buy. If you ever owned a VCR you were a beta tester for dvd players. If you ever owned a DVD player, you were a beta tester for blue ray players. If you own a blue ray player, you are a beta tester for whatever they come out with next.

    Anyway I'm glad to have been a beta tester for Palm. My other choice was to stick with the phone I had before, and I'm glad I went with progress instead. I've enjoyed the product I purchased, and I'm impressed it undergoes improvements with no additional cost to me. It's the only product I own that does that!

    xtn
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Then you haven't paid much attention. The iphone did the same, except that people had to make the same idiotic complaints for a lot longer in between major updates.

    To answer your original question, "how do I feel about being a beta tester," I feel just fine.

    While you 'say' that you understand what it means to be an early adopter, the very fact that you would even ask such a question means that you in fact, do not understand what it means to be an early adopter.

    I do understand that, and I knew that I was volunteering for it, so I feel just fine about it.

    Mr. Troll, please go find the bridge you came out from under and crawl back under it.
    To your first point, that's exactly what I was talking about. Want video recording on an iPhone? Wait two years and two hardware versions for it. Pre? Give us half a year.

    If I didn't understand what it meant to be an early adopter, I would have dumped the phone long ago. As such, I do, so I've waited patiently for the updates and they have come.

    Trolling? All I did is point out the initial shortcomings of the device and how I was pleased how Palm addressed all of them and then some without forcing us to buy new hardware. As I said before, re-reading makes it sound like I'm disparaging Palm or the Pre, but that was not my intent at all.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Pretty good, thanks for asking! Glad it only cost me $199 to do it!

    I suspect the root of your issue is the "unknowingly" part. It shows a lack of understanding for how the march of technological progress works.

    Should black and white televisions never have been sold because they should have just waited until they developed the color ones? Should regular tube televisions never have been sold because they should have all been wide screen plasmas from the start? Should ninety years worth of cars never have been sold because they should have just waited until the airbag got developed?
    Heh, those analogies don't work because we're not talking about a physical technological advancement, just software.

    Unless the Pre fairy swapped my phone while I was sleeping, the hardware has always been the same.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Only a beta tester because the initial release phone was no where near where the phone is now. And I'm talking about the Sprint Pre, not the upcoming one.
    ...
    That's not anywhere near the definition of a beta device (or software). The phone worked as promised the day you purchased it. It's been improved since then. Is your complaint that Palm has improved your initial device without charging you?? Odd...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Heh, those analogies don't work because we're not talking about a physical technological advancement, just software.

    Unless the Pre fairy swapped my phone while I was sleeping, the hardware has always been the same.
    How about these:

    Office 2007 cost an upgrade over XP
    Windows 7 cost an upgrade over XP

    Or, striking even a little closer to home, every update I got to DateBK3 cost me more money.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The point was to have a dialogue about their experience with the Pre over these last 7 months. Would you agree that the Pre is much more enjoyable now than it was on June 6? I do, so I wondered what others thought.
    ...
    I'll take note that "beta tester" is a pejorative term and to not mention the VZW versions in later posts
    Bingo.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    lol wut? Should first-gen iPhone users be angry at being "beta testers" because they bought a phone without copy&paste, without 3G, without MMS, without video recording, no exchange support, a slow UI and terrible call quality? This is the technology world, my friend. It evolves quickly, products are constantly revised. I would argue that Palm has done an EXCEPTIONAL job of pushing out very rapid OTA updates that enhance the phone tremendously. Just because products are constantly updated and refined, doesn't mean that those of us that got one early were guinea pigs.
    Agreed, however, the Gen2 phone is being offered ONLY to VZN. If this same device was available to all us Gen1 people, it would compare to the iPhone evolution. I love my Gen1, but, feel a bit duped that us here at Sprint don't even have access to the Gen2. That's my only "complaint". I'm just hoping that A: the Gen2 is available to us and/or B: possibly the Gen3. ..just saying.
  14. #54  
    Palm never lied to anyone. We all should have know what you were getting into.

    And Apple's first iPhone did not have all this stuff in the beginning either.

    This was a totally new phone and new webos.

    And no, Verizon's phone is not a different phone, they just up'd the memory, otherwise it's the same phone. And yes, the fixed the quality build.

    When Sprint offers a new version or upgrade, it will bypass the Verzion version. It just a leapfrog thing.

    And I have loved interacting with the developers here on Precentral and hopefully giving good input to get great apps.

    We have had an impact on how Palm is doing things, and boy that feels great. I don't think you get that from Apple or Google as much as with Palm.

    One more point, you got to play with the phone in the store, if you didn't test it out enough who's fault is that?

    A happy Pre owner, one that has had problems but learned by them.

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    Nicely put.

    Seriously everyone is a beta tester. The Pre Plus is a beta test till WebOS 2.0 comes out. Etc. Iphone was a beta til 3g came and then that was til 3gs came. All those who had regular iPhones complained just like you are now doing. There will ALWAYS be something more to be desired. I doubt one will ever find the PERFECT anything to which there is 0 complaints. If there is that out already go get it and never let it go.
    Yes I agree completely...if we didn't beta test Microsoft would have never released a product and we'd all still be using Windows 3.11.

    I don't have much to complain about, I guess I'm getting old...
  16. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Heh, those analogies don't work because we're not talking about a physical technological advancement, just software.

    Unless the Pre fairy swapped my phone while I was sleeping, the hardware has always been the same.
    The point of my analogies was that no matter what you buy, sooner or later somebody is going to come out with a new and improved one. Doesn't matter if it's hardware or software. You DID list the improved hardware on Verizon as one of the things that makes you feel like a beta tester.

    Just because I used hardware examples doesn't mean they make bad analogies. At least Palm is beaming the new and improved goodness to you free of charge. So my hardware examples are even worse in that regard, and should further make you feel happy about your Pre... unless you're going to come back to say that Palm isn't beaming you the new hardware, in which case you'll be nullifying your own point that my analogies are bad.

    So while I am not going to call you a troll like some have because I did read your post as more of a discussion starter instead of just useless whining, I am going to say that you're talking out your hind end with regard to any sort of logic.

    xtn
  17. #57  
    Hot.da mm. OP you still got your body parts? Cause they tore you up through out this post for no reason.
    But as far as being a Beta tester, I didn't mind cause homebrew and den made it easy and enjoyable to tweak the Pre. But if this community didn't exist and no tweaks were allowed, yeah I'd be ****ed to get a phone for this price that only multi tasked and flipped cards. But sticking with the Pre was like watching your child grow up and become the president.
  18. #58  
    I'm not sure why the OP uses the word "unknowingly" I thought it was a given that a 1.0 product would be a sort of beta experience especially at first.

    I guess the OP didn't know..
  19. #59  
    I think you've earned the "Most stupid thread of 2010 award". Congrats!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Let's face it, with the update that's about to drop, the release condition of WebOS, the build quality of the Pre, and the bumped up memory/storage numbers for VZW, Sprint and Bell users were essentially beta testing the Pre this last7/8 months. It's clear that 1.4 should have been the 1.0 version of the phone. To my knowledge, there has never been a phone that went through these kinds of software changes. All things point to the initial release occurring when it did to combat the launch of the iPhone 3GS.

    I'm fully aware what it means to be an early adopter, but the early going with the Pre was a bit much. The rapid updates saved it, but to me, it makes it more obvious that the phone was still late in development and by no means a finished but flawed product.

    That said, minus the obvious downs that went with the ups, the crippled Pre was still the best cell phone I've ever had by far. Might not be saying much for some, but I've only had Sprint or Nextel phones since around 2000. I do have to say that I'm not sure I would still have been here if it wasn't for the homebrew/tweaker devs. But at this point, I'm glad that I toughed it out.

    Thoughts?
    If it didn't meet your needs/expectations when you bought it, then why did you buy it?

    I love my pre. It's the best phone out there for me. Period. Is it perfect? No. But damn, it's a fine little device. The more exciting thing to me, however, is webOS.

    If you don't like it, then get something else. Nobody is stopping you.

    The phone is not flawed or unfinished. How long did it take the iPhone to even allow 3rd party developer support, again? How long until they had basic cut and paste? Right.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions