Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't think the Pre is all that different in development than the Iphone and Android. The G1 is much much much different than the Droid and Nexus one. Android went from 1.0 to 2.1 or whatever it's at in a bit over a year. The original Iphone was missing a ton of stuff that it has now. When it first came out, a lot of Treo-folk were belittling it for its lack of smartphone features. How's that different than the Pre?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    There have been some moments of serious frustration but the good has far outweighed the bad. If I was given the choice to do it over again I would in a heartbeat!

The excitement and anticipation of each update almost always exceeded what was actually delivered (except for 1.3.5, Palm was sneaky with that update ) but it has been an enjoyable experience watching the platform grow and mature.

Every day I check out the new apps, patches, tweaks and themes and every month or so I look forward to what changes a new OS update brings. Just a couple months ago we would only dream of playing 3D games on our Pre and today it is a reality. In a month or so, we will be uploading videos taken with our Pre to youtube and getting the full web browsing experience (with the addition of Flash) that iPhone owners can only dream about.
    I don’t understand what all the negativity is about Verizon getting a later build of the pre and pixi. The Verizon community has waited 6 months to get a smart phone so we can pay higher prices for text, data, gps, mobile hotspot and every other additional feature. The lifespan of any phone is only a couple years at best then users will move on the next generation. First adopters got a big head start on the Verizon users and when you upgrade to the pre 2 we will still have 6 months on our contracts.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I knew this was how it would be when I bought the phone and actually thought it would be exciting and it has been. Rooting the phone, the whole WebOSInternals, etc. I know the average smartphone user might not have liked the experience, but I think its been great, and thought it was a good opportunity to get in on a new platform from the beginning. What's the worst that could happen. Palm could fail and I would move to the next phone, but still have some great stories to tell about how wonderful that darn WebOS was. You also have to give it up to Palm and Sprint, for the most part they've been pretty good to us.
    Well I have been using this phone over 7 months now, and do not consider myself a beta tester, I work for a large software company and this is no beta test in my eyes. Look at all the benfits this phone offers, we get OTA updates, side loading, and of course we have the best community around for helping. Can you imagine a iPhone update for a virus, like the one for the Android today, Palm could sent this OTA and we would have it done like that, compared to a iPhone or WinMo, they need a computer to do this, this is huge.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure your intent was complimentary. However, using terms like "beta tester" and "crippled Pre" tends to set folks off, as it seems you're complaining about the release version of the Pre.
    I agree completely. The OP should have chosen different words. I'm tired of being called a beta tester for a device that was functional on June 6th. Is it more functional now? Of course! But when I first got it it didn't hinder my productivity prior; it actually improved it, and it's been getting enjoyably better ever since.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I am happy that I got on board at release and that I let Palm know what I did and didn't like. And I am thrilled that I was able to hack the phone with help from the best homebrew community that anyone can ask for. So if anything I would like to think we have made the Pre the phone we wanted not what someone told us we wanted.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure your intent was complimentary. However, using terms like "beta tester" and "crippled Pre" tends to set folks off, as it seems you're complaining about the release version of the Pre.
    Fair enough, but when integral hardware doesn't function purposely, such as the GPU, it's hard to call the phone a finsihed product.

To me the WebOS 1.4 SPRINT Pre is a proper release product and the WebOS 1.1 SPRINT Pre was...we'll say, "less than finished." If people call that observation being childish or whiny, I don't know what to tell them. But the leap in functionality is hardly a normal development in the lifecylce of a single phone witout a hardware change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    How do I feel?
    GREAT. 100%
    I have been there from the beginning of something fantastic.
    For those of you who have not liked it then just remember that down the road you can say that you remember when.
    Hell I remember when I had to look at a green monitor and thought an amber one was an upgrade. Internet speed was only one "click" at a time and when I found a new news bulletin board I called my friends. I even remember when I got a computer (without chips) to count after feeding only a few hundred cards into it.
    OK fine, I'm get up there in years but hell STOP complaining. Many of you have the opportunity to see some fantastic stuff 30-60 years from now.
    Nope, dont feel like a Beta Tester at all. Feel like I had access to something really cutting edge before any one else, at Vz or Att.

I LOVE what the above poster said about the progression of technology. I too am OLD, I admit it. Ive been around too from before the Bulletin Board days and felt priviliged to be on that cutting edge. I remember how totallly thrilled I was, to have access to buy an actual first gen pc CLONE, that I paid 2500 hard earned bucks for, and was over the moon with my 10 MEG hard drive. Did I feel like a beta tester when AT came along with a 40 meg drive? Of course not.. Its PROGRESS.

I absolutely LOVE my Pre, I have never had any hardware issues, and the only software issues I have had, were due to my own muckings with the guts of the toy, which I take full responsibility for, having that kind of access.

The things that this forum has offered have only sweetened the pot.

I love the PRE, will continue to love it, wait for new updates, and just let progress, well Progress.

10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I don't think the Pre is all that different in development than the Iphone and Android. The G1 is much much much different than the Droid and Nexus one. Android went from 1.0 to 2.1 or whatever it's at in a bit over a year. The original Iphone was missing a ton of stuff that it has now. When it first came out, a lot of Treo-folk were belittling it for its lack of smartphone features. How's that different than the Pre?
    The advantage with the Pre is that we're getting the enhancements in the original device. We don't have to shell out extra money or wait for new hardware to come along in order to get "missing" features.

Again, this was a complimentary post; unfortunately it was misinterpreted as otherwise.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    1st gen OS running on 1st gen hardware.

You could call that beta testing I suppose. If you aren't ok with that, then go buy something tried and true.

Normally I wouldn't have jumped the gun, but the whole package seemed fantastic. 6+ months later and I still love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Fair enough, but when integral hardware doesn't function purposely, such as the GPU, it's hard to call the phone a finsihed product.

To me the WebOS 1.4 SPRINT Pre is a proper release product and the WebOS 1.1 SPRINT Pre was...we'll say, "less than finished." If people call that observation being childish or whiny, I don't know what to tell them. But the leap in functionality is hardly a normal development in the lifecylce of a single phone witout a hardware change.
    Well, using wording such as 'crippled' and beta tester is sure to raise the ire of folks and it certainly makes one think 'what is this guy talking about'.

I understand what you're trying to say, but in today's world of tech and progress such as OTA updates, changes to functionality can happen over night. OTA updates and cloud computing is where we're heading and I think that Palm was right to include OTA updates. It makes things much easier.

Look it, would you rather have the functionality stay the same for a year and then a new piece of hardware with improved functionality comes out and you're basically stuck with your old equipment? I wouldn't.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    To me it was a waste of time and money to buy the first gen Pre. I don't rule out getting a later model when they nail it down.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    To me it was a waste of time and money to buy the first gen Pre. I don't rule out getting a later model when they nail it down.
    You seem to be missing the point. It will never be nailed down. It will always grow and change.

If you want something "solid and thoroughly beta tested", get the final model of a previous product line.
    If you were "Unknowingly" a Beta Tester then you are either new to life or new to smartphones. Everyone (except you) knows that early adopters who purchase 1.0 devices are beta testers.

I can safely say that the Pre was the best "1.0" device I have ever owned. Very stable and feature rich.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Let's face it, with the update that's about to drop, the release condition of WebOS, the build quality of the Pre, and the bumped up memory/storage numbers for VZW, Sprint and Bell users were essentially beta testing the Pre this last7/8 months. It's clear that 1.4 should have been the 1.0 version of the phone. To my knowledge, there has never been a phone that went through these kinds of software changes. All things point to the initial release occurring when it did to combat the launch of the iPhone 3GS.

I'm fully aware what it means to be an early adopter, but the early going with the Pre was a bit much. The rapid updates saved it, but to me, it makes it more obvious that the phone was still late in development and by no means a finished but flawed product.

That said, minus the obvious downs that went with the ups, the crippled Pre was still the best cell phone I've ever had by far. Might not be saying much for some, but I've only had Sprint or Nextel phones since around 2000. I do have to say that I'm not sure I would still have been here if it wasn't for the homebrew/tweaker devs. But at this point, I'm glad that I toughed it out.

Thoughts?
    I don't mind. I got Pre in August and it did what Palm advertised. Palm did not say native apps would come, Palm did not say they had video or voice support. The hard quality is a concern, but the ability to switch between email, calendar and tasks with simple swipes, is the best feature for me.

The only time I felt a little like a beta tester was after 1.3.1, when part of OS operation can freeze for a second or so. 1.3.5 solved most of that, but had the EAS calendar issue. By 1.3.5.1, I am all happy again.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    The advantage with the Pre is that we're getting the enhancements in the original device. We don't have to shell out extra money or wait for new hardware to come along in order to get "missing" features.

Again, this was a complimentary post; unfortunately it was misinterpreted as otherwise.
    I wasn't really arguing. What I should have said is that the WebOS development cycle, in terms of being brought out before it was "done" is much like other platforms. As you say, it's actually better than those platforms because Palm isn't making us buy a different product to get updates. We're all getting better phones every time there is an update (well, that's the idea...).
    Wow, how funny that this thread should pop up just as I was about to text my former-Treo-using-then-Blackberry-toting-now-iPhone-loving friend that I love my (yep, Launch Day) Pre more than ever. (Especially with the new Named Launcher Pages patch, which is fantastic!)

Terms like "beta tester" are almost irrelevant given how Palm has supported homebrew. If that's beta testing, yeah, I'm cool with it.
    Hey this is a community and we all help to make the pre+ what it is today so at the end of the day just be happy to have helped with the progress and be excited to see what palm has in store for there next device.I am in love with my pre ,i sleep with that b!t@h every night.If i had a chance i would do it all over again.(THIS IS FOR ALL TROLLS).
    It's clear that 1.4 should have been the 1.0 version of the phone.
    Your assumption.

All things point to the initial release occurring when it did to combat the launch of the iPhone 3GS.
    Your assumption.

...it makes it more obvious that the phone was still late in development and by no means a finished but flawed product.
    Your assumption.

Thoughts?
    Well, you know what they say about assuming....it makes you look like an ***.

Yes, I've read all your reiterations that you were trying to do a positive post, but I would love to hear what you say to your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend: "Boy Honey, your *** is twice as big as my my mom's, I think I got a 10 foot length of rope out back you could use for a belt, your teeth look like you've been opening beer bottles with them, your breath smells like a mouse crawled up your nose and died, and your lazy eye sure is pointing to the left today, but boy-o-boy am I glad we are together!"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast