Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    FT.com / Technology - Palm seeks to build sales off strong platform

Mr Rubinstein does not rule out one possible way to widen the reach for Palm’s technology: by licensing its WebOS software to other groups.

We’re not religious about it,” he says. “If it was the right partner we’d consider it – but we wouldn’t go out and look for it.” Asked if Palm has had licensing talks, he hesitates before saying nothing is being discussed.
    Good idea? I'd like a high-end Xperia X1 phone with webOS, but I don't know if I'd trust SE with webOS..
    it would be nice
    If they worked hand and hand to not ruin the experience that is WebOS.
    Clie webOS...:drools: I'd be so happy as they will probably put in a memory stick slot they love, and I will take that over no expandable memory.
    Last time Palm did this with PalmOS, it led to splitting spinning off the OS from Palm. Lets hope they don't repeat that mistake (OTOH it did lead to the Treo).
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Given that Android is a free alternative for handset makers to use, the webOS licensing fees that Palm could generate would probably not be high enough to offset any potential lost sales of Palm devices.
    Revenues would be lower, but profit margin would be exceedingly higher. Could be a wash, who knows.

On the one hand, if someone like Nokia were to license the OS and sell 20 million devices worldwide, the app market would simply explode. On the other hand, it could be like Android--50 gazillion handsets with different hardware specs and different versions that simply splinter the market, creating potential issues for app development.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Clie webOS...:drools: I'd be so happy as they will probably put in a memory stick slot they love, and I will take that over no expandable memory.
    You read my mind bro!!!... I always remember what Sony did with the platform years ago...

Thats is the $$$ IMO for Palm... the only prob is that Google is giving it away for free....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    On the one hand, if someone like Nokia were to license the OS and sell 20 million devices worldwide, the app market would simply explode.

My guess is Nokia has invested way too much in Maemo (now on version 5, working on 6) to be interesting in using some other Linux variant.
    Honestly, I don't care what he said, I just don't see them doing it.

Remember that this is the same interview where he also claimed to have never used an iPhone.