Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Hello there I am looking into geting a palm pre plus when it comes to verizon. The palm pre plus isn't much different from the orginal from what I hear so I wanted to know a couple things.
    Is it possible to make it so when you get a phone call you can answer it by sliding and can you hang up the call by sliding it back closed?
    Also is it possible to set it to lock the screen after you close the keyboard?
    I wanted to know if the notification system has a reminder setting as well so you can say have it beep every 5 minutes when you have an unread text message? This is uncommon in many phones such as the new android phones and I find it annoying.
    Oh and is the vibrate on the phone strong?
  2. #2  
    Yes
    I think so
    The small notification "ballon" stays on the screen until you deal with it.. you can also make the launch button "blink" for notifications.. umm the Pre+ doesn't have that button anymore.. so I wonder what's gonna happen to that..
    The vibrate is pretty average for a phone
  3.    #3  
    But does it also make noise for the notification reminder? Or just a blinking light?
  4. link375's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    Hello there I am looking into geting a palm pre plus when it comes to verizon. The palm pre plus isn't much different from the orginal from what I hear so I wanted to know a couple things.
    Is it possible to make it so when you get a phone call you can answer it by sliding and can you hang up the call by sliding it back closed?
    Also is it possible to set it to lock the screen after you close the keyboard?
    I wanted to know if the notification system has a reminder setting as well so you can say have it beep every 5 minutes when you have an unread text message? This is uncommon in many phones such as the new android phones and I find it annoying.
    Oh and is the vibrate on the phone strong?

    you can open the keyboard to answer and slide back to hang up with a patch

    you can set the lock settings, so it needs a password when the screen turns off or after 5 minutes or whatever. but no the phone won't lock automatically after sliding the keyboard back. you will still need to press the power button or just wait until the screen turns off.

    there's a patch for notification repeats. I have mine set and if I don't check it, it vibrates every 2 minutes until I check it.
  5. link375's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    But does it also make noise for the notification reminder? Or just a blinking light?
    it'll blink the light on and off until the notification is checked. the sound will ring every 2 minutes.

    these are both patches

    notification repeat
    and
    enable blink alerts
  6.    #6  
    so basically in order for my phone to do what i want id have to download things? Sounds like the droid and i hated the droid how i had to download all the apps to get it to do what i wanted. okay nevermind i think ill get something else. thanks for the help
  7. #7  
    ..you'd rather the phone come with each section having dozens/hundreds of "options" built-in so each user could tailor their phone to work exactly the way they want? So no need to download anything?

    Really?

    That sounds like menu overload,, and for what? For most people once you get a phone you spend some time tweaking it to your desires then it's done.. Why have hundreds of menu choices always built-in to try & make everybody happy.., just to avoid a couple easy downloads??
  8. link375's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #8  
    yeah, and also some of these features will probably be implemented into the OS in future updates.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    so basically in order for my phone to do what i want id have to download things? Sounds like the droid and i hated the droid how i had to download all the apps to get it to do what i wanted. okay nevermind i think ill get something else. thanks for the help
    i really couldnt care less what phone you get, but if youve tried Android and didnt like it, and are turned off by WebOS already, then where will you go next?

    just curious.
  10. link375's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #10  
    I would say give the pre a try, once you use the card system of WebOS and also the gesture area on a pre you won't use any other touch screen phone, my friend recently gave me his iphone to sell and I kept trying to minimize the apps into card view. or use the back gesture on the iphone.. lol.. I guess im hooked on my pre
  11. #11  
    You have to be into tweaking to custom make your phone do what you want. I dont think in my 17 years of cellphone use have a i ever bought a phone that had and did everything i wanted. Besides verizon errrrrrrrrrrr i would never go back to them 180+ bill a month is a car payment.
  12.    #12  
    well i basically want a phone that acts like a phone with decent internet and maybe some apps. I'm going to look into the blackberries next and if thats not what i want either i'll prbly go with just one of the those regular cellphones that has internet such as the rogue or env touch. i'm not too serious about the whole smartphone things i just want a good PHONE and have the applications and internet be the second important thing. however smartphones seem more like data device than actually good phones. ill try the pre in the store and see what it's like when it comes out. But when i tried all those user created patches and apps they all had bugs that annoyed me on the droid. half the time it wouldn't work. that's why i would like these options made avaiable by the actual creator of the device so it works right.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    well i basically want a phone that acts like a phone with decent internet and maybe some apps. I'm going to look into the blackberries next and if thats not what i want either i'll prbly go with just one of the those regular cellphones that has internet such as the rogue or env touch. i'm not too serious about the whole smartphone things i just want a good PHONE and have the applications and internet be the second important thing. however smartphones seem more like data device than actually good phones. ill try the pre in the store and see what it's like when it comes out. But when i tried all those user created patches and apps they all had bugs that annoyed me on the droid. half the time it wouldn't work. that's why i would like these options made avaiable by the actual creator of the device so it works right.
    Well you say you want a good phone first with internet and apps being the second. Palmpre is the best out of the box cellphone ive ever had. Palmpre still loads webpages faster than the iphone 3GS" Also in a month will have full flash support". so if thats what you want why are your talking about reminders. I personally dont understand why you would want your phone to keep reminding you that you have a message even after you looked at it. I myself have never been into the whole roller ball blackberry thing. also blackberry storm is kinda ehhhh not so cool. I remeber when i first bought the pre on launch day the salesman at bestbuy had a stormver.1 and was like wow i might have to switch phones this is just after he had set mine up i laughed HARD.
    Last edited by kanesis; 01/11/2010 at 03:35 PM.
  14. #14  
    Probably the best patch you could get is the Sprint network and pricing.....
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kanesis View Post
    Well you say you want a good phone first with internet and apps being the second. Palmpre is the best out of the box cellphone ive ever had. Palmpre still loads webpages faster than the iphone 3GS" Also in a month will have full flash support". so if thats what you want why are your talking about reminders. I personally dont understand why you would want your phone to keep reminding you that you have a message even after you looked at it.
    it would remind me when i haven't looked at it this is a basic feature with most cellphones. it reminds you of UNREAD text messages.
  16. Kaerey's Avatar
    Posts
    539 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    well i basically want a phone that acts like a phone with decent internet and maybe some apps. I'm going to look into the blackberries next and if thats not what i want either i'll prbly go with just one of the those regular cellphones that has internet such as the rogue or env touch. i'm not too serious about the whole smartphone things i just want a good PHONE and have the applications and internet be the second important thing. however smartphones seem more like data device than actually good phones. ill try the pre in the store and see what it's like when it comes out. But when i tried all those user created patches and apps they all had bugs that annoyed me on the droid. half the time it wouldn't work. that's why i would like these options made avaiable by the actual creator of the device so it works right.
    I do think you will be quite surprised by the professionalism of the patch and homebrew community of webOS. We have some amazingly intelligent Professionals working on making this device even better then palm should out of the box. Palm released webOS for the basic user, I assume knowing that being based on a very familiar platform, using very familiar languages people would create methods of making it better.

    While you might think that having all these things you want made by the actual creator is what you want. It's not going to happen and I hope it doesn't. We need basic easy to learn systems that can be expanded on by those of us who care and want something more.

    And besides, the fact that Sprint invited one of the main members of the webos homebrew community to present at a recent conference shows that the work that is done here is pretty damn good.

    To get exactly what you want, just get a Pre/Pixi, get Preware or WebOS Quick Install (both freely available from this site) and then install what you want. I for one have yet to find a patch that hasn't worked perfectly for me, and I have roughly 30 installed. 90% of the "problems" people are having with software and patches on this phone is because they don't read before clicking.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  17.    #17  
    anyway this wasn't meant to be an attack on the pre although i knew some people would take it that way for whatever reason. i just wanted to know that info and i honestly don't want sprint so no thanks. money isn't an issue for me lol. so ill let you argue about it but that's all i wanted to know. thanks for the info but seriously people need to calm down. everyone has their own preferences and what i want in a phone is my own buisness whether you like it or not. i'm sure you have your own wants and needs in a device. your opinions don't change what i like and dislike. there's no reason to get nasty about it.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    anyway this wasn't meant to be an attack on the pre although i knew some people would take it that way for whatever reason. i just wanted to know that info and i honestly don't want sprint so no thanks. money isn't an issue for me lol. so ill let you argue about it but that's all i wanted to know. thanks for the info but seriously people need to calm down. everyone has their own preferences and what i want in a phone is my own buisness whether you like it or not. i'm sure you have your own wants and needs in a device. your opinions don't change what i like and dislike. there's no reason to get nasty about it.
    I read the whole thread i dont think youve been attacked by anyone just given relavant facts but hey :CHEERS:
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    anyway this wasn't meant to be an attack on the pre although i knew some people would take it that way for whatever reason. i just wanted to know that info and i honestly don't want sprint so no thanks. money isn't an issue for me lol. so ill let you argue about it but that's all i wanted to know. thanks for the info but seriously people need to calm down. everyone has their own preferences and what i want in a phone is my own buisness whether you like it or not. i'm sure you have your own wants and needs in a device. your opinions don't change what i like and dislike. there's no reason to get nasty about it.
    i'd go BlackBerry hands down.

    id still be with them but I got tired of the boring OS.

    HOWEVER, as a phone, they're great and as a smartphone they're great. the internet is a little slow and clunky because of the BlackBerry browser, but you can install Opera Mini if you want. it's not unusable by any means, but its not the fastest nor the best.

    a BlackBerry will do everything you want, right out of the box, with no modifications necessary.

    go for it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roastedpeppers View Post
    it would remind me when i haven't looked at it this is a basic feature with most cellphones. it reminds you of UNREAD text messages.
    You said you havent had a smartphone yet. I think this reminder function is only available on smartphones? If your referring to when you look on the screen and it says you have Xnumber unread text and Xnumber unread voice mail everyphone has this im not sure as to your meaning of the question.
    Last edited by kanesis; 01/11/2010 at 03:59 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions