Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I was just posting my question on whether I should get my wife a PRE on SPRINT now - or wait and I thought I'd share why a PRE on Sprint is STILL the best device with the best plan that is out there.

I've been looking hard at the iPhone and Droid's along with their respective AT&T and Verizon plans... I even looked at the HERO on Sprint.

COST - Sprint is so much cheaper over the course of a 2 year plan it still amazes me that cost is not more of a factor. Free mobile to mobile minutes - unlimited everything - this is a NO BRAINER

DATA Service - it amuses to watch AT&T and Verizon battling it out on their networks - my experience is when it comes to high speed DATA - Sprint is by FAR the best service. Fastest speeds and most ubiquitous coverage. Voice service can be up for debate - but with all networks - coverage is very geography dependent - there is no single 1 size fits all here

Form factor - the PRE form factor rules - HATE the landscape sliding keyboards (one of the MANY things I hated about my WM pos...) Even with the extra thickness the slideout keyboard creates on the PRE - it STILL fits better in my hand than an iPhone.

Keyboard - I get BOTH a virtual and physical keyboard. End of debate... (oh - i don't care WHAT people say - a virtual keyboard is not as good - just is not... especially when a physical keyboard as in-obtrusive as the PRE's is there waiting. (iPhone lovers comically justify their love for the virutal keyboard... wonder how many would LOVE a physical keyboard if an iPhone came out with one)

Usability - Have to say that WebOS completely tops all other devices... Droid is just too much... iPhone is nice - but I like the WebOS better - I love cards and multi-tasking and overall ease of use... no learning curve...

Applications - I will NEVER need 100,000 applications and pray that PALM doesn't end up with an App store that is such a mess as the Apple store. I want usable and meaningful applications - which I understand is in the eye of the beholder - but I really want an appstore that lets me easily find and filter those apps I want. OH - I don't want PALM to keep great apps away just because they can.

Applications part 2 - In 6-12 months any debate on applications will be over

Upgrades - After the 1.4 upgrade - my Palm Pre will be a brand new device that will not have cost me an additional penny. IS ANYONE LISTENING... the same device I bought 8 months ago has many major feature enhancements that DID NOT COST ME A PENNY... IS ANYONE LISTENING
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Too much coffee this morning?

j/k.

I agree with everything you said. Plus Sprint will get the "real" Pre upgrade device before Verizon.
    The biggest downfalls, outside of general build quality (which also seems to have gotten better), for the Pre are...

1. Battery Life - The stock battery is a joke (imo). It does seem to have gotten a little better.

2. Lack of features - There is still a fairly significant gap in OS features (VVM, Video Recording, Voice Dialing, etc...) when compared to other handsets/OS's. Yes, a few are finally coming but there are still a few big ones left (imo).

3. Applications - Hopefully the recent developments and news will significantly jump start webOS development. It's not there yet... but there are some very good signs for the future and movement forward.

Like I said... there are good indicators that all of these things are improving... they just aren't there as we speak.

I went from very little hope (and switching back to my Hero from my Pre) to being very optimistic and debating on whether I should switch or not (still may for a 2-3 months), during the past week.

PS: The only major enhancements that have occurred... should have really been there from the start. They are for every other handset in this level of the phone marketplace.

It's a positive but I wouldn't exactly give Palm the Nobel Phone Prize.
    Unless we are giving out the prize based on potential (similar to some "other" prizes!)
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/11/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    I've been debating my March 1st upgrade choice like crazy. Pre, Hero, Moment, Tour, etc. or just wait until the next big thing comes???? But I finally decided on a Pre for all of the OP's reasons. Cannot wait to get my hands on this baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by skafri View Post
    I've been debating my March 1st upgrade choice like crazy. Pre, Hero, Moment, Tour, etc. or just wait until the next big thing comes???? But I finally decided on a Pre for all of the OP's reasons. Cannot wait to get my hands on this baby!
    we should see the Pre's successor by march so lets hope big for the Palm C40
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Too much coffee this morning?

j/k.

I agree with everything you said. Plus Sprint will get the "real" Pre upgrade device before Verizon.
    C40? I'm incredibly curious...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Probably a very similar phone with 16gb. I will stick with my current Pre, unless they make big hardware improvements. The ball is gone, as far as I know.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    the video recording will be here in february so that's all I care.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Anybody else have the oreo effect on their Pre have any issues in just simply getting a replacement?

I'm getting tired of the horrible looseness of the device.... Although I LOVE my Pre and would never conceive of going to Verizon or, God forbid, ATT.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Anybody else have the oreo effect on their Pre have any issues in just simply getting a replacement?

I'm getting tired of the horrible looseness of the device.... Although I LOVE my Pre and would never conceive of going to Verizon or, God forbid, ATT.
    I with you. The oreo effect bugs me and I was not able to get a replacement just for it. Sprint guy said that it is not affecting operation, so they will not replace it.

But, just like you, the oreo effect is not bad enough to make me want to pay a lot more for a new plan. Droid and some Android phones look great, but I doubt I have time play with it. I just need a phone that very simple to use, and still have the capability if I want to add a few more things.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Yeah - too much coffee.

Battery life - better than my WinMo device - and I last at least as long as my iPhone counterparts...

I also have a TouchStone at home and at work - and even take 1 with when I travel. I have an extra car charger in my car at all times - and if I had to - I'd bring an extra charged battery for emergencies - because THE BATTERY IS REPLACEABLE...

It is small - it is light - YOU CAN CARRY A SPARE - geez...

I forgot to mention the TOUCHSTONE in my first comment - that MAY be - and I don't overstate this - THE difference maker between the PRE and the iPhone/Droid...

Honestly - when I place it on my Touchstone at work - all the BB carriers just shake their heads.

Being slightly more objective - the iPhone/Droid(s)/PRE are all great devices... I just tell people there are great choices to be had - 9 months ago there weren't.

BUT - go to the store - hold them ALL in your hand - put them in your pocket - actually try doing a few things with them... and THEN - get a detailed cost comparison that includes: voice/data/texting/GPS/ and make sure they are all UNLIMITED - and you ASK AT&T what they are going to charge for data overage charges - they ARE coming. ASK VERIZON what they are charging for GPS... etc..

Just do an HONEST comparison (and 100 million trillion different farting apps - don't really factor into an HONEST comparison)...

And don't forget to ask how much money you would have to spend to get the iPhone 3G when you started with the original iPhone... (oh - how much were upgrades?)

Now I just need to get this coffee out of my system!
    The biggest deterrent to going with Verizon is their new $350 ETF.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    Just do an HONEST comparison (and 100 million trillion different farting apps - don't really factor into an HONEST comparison)...
    I agree with some of what you stated but the battery life is slightly below an iPhone (which has a noticeably larger screen to power) and is even below the HTC Hero (on Sprint). For the Hero, it is 3-4 hours longer with my average daily use and that is the difference in making it through a normal day w/o charging or needing to charge it by 6pm. I'm not saying any one of them are great with regards to battery life but the Pre is the worse of the 3. I would have to test it again since 1.3.5 to see if the gap has been closed some. Based on what I have seen since 1.3.5 from my Pre... I think it is probably much closer now. I currently use an extended battery in mine (wife still uses stock) so it's a little harder for me to gauge just based off my daily use since 1.3.5.

As far as Apps... I'm not sure you are doing an honest comparison to either Android Marketplace or iTunes Store. Both certainly have many more superfluous apps but both also absolutely have many more very useful apps as well. And Apps on the both tend to generally be cheaper (then the Palm marketplace currently) or free for both since the development is much more widespread and there is much more competition.