Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I have had my Palm Pre since about 3 weeks after release.

Now it is time to upgrade my wife from her 700P to the Pre.

However - with the latest models hitting Verizon - can't help but wonder if Sprint will be getting some type of WebOS updated device(s) w/in the next 6 months?

My wife is fine on her 700P but is finally becoming somewhat envious of my Pre - so we are in no rush.

What say - get the Pre now - or wait a while?
    Depends...if you can wait...then do it.

No rush if the phone still works.... more than likely we'll see a new WebOS device of some sort on Sprint this summer. Pre Plus is nice and all...but i'd expect possible a new form factor for the year anniversary.
    Well the Plus versions come out the 25th, and it was said that there was only going to be a 'short' exclusive period on Verizon. The Sprint exclusive period appears to have been 7-8 months so if it's short compared to that you'll probably only have to wait 1-4 months.

As far as a new style coming out... considering it's been said by the Palm crew a few times that they have no plans to extend their line of products, nothing was announced at CES, and the c40 appeared previous and never showed, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I was kind of in the same boat, trying to hold out as long as I could. I waited until after CES, and decided to pull the trigger now. For me, even if there is a new form factor out by summer, I decided I just couldn't wait that long . Seems like the pre will keep me happy for a year until I'm eligible for an upgrade. It will be interesting, though, as my wife has had a pixi for a month now and I've played with it a ton; so I'll be curious as to what my impression is of the pre; I think I'll write a review, as there seems to be many people who have gone from pre to pixi, but not many the other way around. I might have an interesting perspective to share.
    Good luck making a decision.
    If you see the Pre Plus on Sprint... I think it will be in the June time frame.

Verizon has some type of exclusiveness and Sprint really has no need to offer it until then and no current plans have leaked for it. Which likely means it is at least a couple months out.
    buy a Pre on here or from Ebay so that you're both on Sprint.

if June rolls around and there is an upgraded model on Sprint, youll still have your upgrade available.
    I agree with Chud311, buy one on eBay (they can be had for around $200 now), and then if/when something better comes on Sprint, you're not locked in.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I believe this to be a possible scenario:

Pre Plus comes out for Verizon. Maybe as well, or a little later, for AT&T. Then, in Summer, Sprint gets the Pre Plus, maybe same specs, maybe 32 gigs, who knows? I just believe there will be no change in forms.

Motorola KRZR > Palm Centro > Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre
    You should be a Sprint Preimer Customer, just wait until June when you phone 12 month, if the Palm Pre 2 comes out get it for yourself and give your wife your Palm Pre.

Just my 2 cents!!
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I AM a Premier customer - great advice!!!

Just don't tell the wife!

(I think we'll just get her one - there aren't really THAT many things that are missing - I don't use my PRE for music so the storage is great (I use Pandora) - and the button isn't that big a deal though I rarely do use it...)

By the way - is $149.00 still the best price I'll get on an upgrade plan?
    im new to the family plan side of things.......will both lines qualify for upgrades or just the primary?
    The Pre at my local Walmart is $98.88, upgrade or new contract. Seven weeks till it is MINE.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    buy a Pre on here or from Ebay so that you're both on Sprint.

if June rolls around and there is an upgraded model on Sprint, youll still have your upgrade available.
    theyre not going for much on ebay, at least for used ones. this way you wont have a contract and you can add insurance to it once its activated if you want. then when a new webos device comes out, sell it or just have it as a backup device.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    On the family plan each device can get the upgrade assuming they qualify. If you are a PREMIERE customer (if you are on a family plan - you pretty much would be) - then you only need 1 year before upgrading... but $98.88 at Walmart - better check THAT out? Do they carry the Touchstone (on Verizon the PRE coming with a Touchstone back is really a great feature).
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    im new to the family plan side of things.......will both lines qualify for upgrades or just the primary?
    Lines qualify for upgrades on an individual basis (unless you can sweet talk a CSR/Retentions Rep).

In my example.

In June '09 I purchased Sprint service and Palm Pre's for 2 lines (Wife and I).
    Those lines will be eligible for upgrade in June '10.
    In October '09 I purchased a Hero for my Son and activate a 3rd line.
    That line will be eligible for upgrade in October '10.
    In December I purchased an off-contract Pre (craigslist) and activated that on a 4th line for my daughter.
    That line is currently eligible for an upgrade since I did not purchase a discounted phone at the time of activation.
    -If you decided to get one at Best Buy, the touchstones are on sale for 49.99 + you get 25% off accessories when you buy a phone from them, so I walked out with a touchstone for pretty cheap when I got mine 2 days ago. Just a heads up.
    buying a used one wouldnt be a bad idea. i bought one about 4-5 months ago and i ended up getting a warrenty refurb about a month ago that was in perfect condition. so as long as the phone is under a year old (they all are) then your still eligible