1.    #1  
    I am trying to find some people who has hacked the palm and used the program on this site with the phone tehring. I called sprint and they told me they wouldnt advocate attempting to mod the palm to use as a modem(Go figure) so i want to know how other people's experiances were with using the palm as a modem. And if they had trouble with sprint.
    PLZ share
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I have it (donation version), but use is sparingly. The one time I did use it, it worked great. There is an issue with wifi causing you to have to enable a patch to get it to work, but there is also an to option to use USB and Bluetooth. I normally use bluetooth. I would recommend going for the donor version. It's called My Tether, so do a search starting with that and it should lead you to numerous threads on the subject. Its a non-standard app so make sure you are comfortable with the ins and outs, before using it.
    Forum Search is your friend. There is no shortage of information on this topic.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape. Yeah there's topics on it. But come on it's 188 pages deep. You could post a question like I have 3 times and it will never get answered so the best way to go is start a new thread and hope someone can help you.
    I use the MyTether app daily and about 2-3 months now with no problem. I don't have internet at home and check my email every morning and surf a couple websites. Maybe 20-30 minutes a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape.
    Who's bent? Not me...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    But come on it's 188 pages deep.
    Uh, not answers to his questions...
    Quote Originally Posted by jarreth
    I am trying to find some people who has hacked the palm and used the program on this site with the phone tehring. <snip> so i want to know how other people's experiances were with using the palm as a modem.
    He's trying to find people who've done it and wants their experiences. A quick search will yield exactly that, both positive and negative. And as it's Jarreth's first post, it's quite likely he doesn't know how much this has been discussed on these forums and didn't think to search.
    Similar experience as rkkeller - MyTether worked great for me for 3+ months of daily use (I was OK with the patch that made MyTether work, but broke the Pre camera function), but later ran into wi-fi issues when I updated to 1.3.5. That fiasco was resolved by 1) webOSdr to 1.3.5, 2) running the OTA update to 1.3.5.1 then 3) a visit to a local Sprint tech support store and a warranty replacement Pre for the 'broken' wi-fi. (Insert evil grin as I covered my tracks for my app/patch installing activities before I went to Sprint!) Unfortunately the Sprint refurb shipped with 1.1 so I corrupted my contact data when syncing to my Palm profile during configuration... but even that clusterf**k had a silver lining (for me anyway).

My Acer netbook reported the Pre had a NAP profile when I paired the bluetooth, and since that discovery I've been using my Pre as an access point. Personally I liked the MyTether adhoc wi-fi tethering (didn't use the camera or media aps anyway) as it was easier, but quite satisfied with BT NAP tethering now as I can surf the net, check my mail, AND still use my camera, play music, and several games I d/ld all without having to patch/unpatch my phone.

Note - I still don't know if the BT NAP service is standard on the Pre, or some combination of luck + installed software/hardware (WinXP Pro/Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth 2.1 USB Dongle) and maybe the Chapura PocketMirror(??)... whatever, I can tether with the BT NAP profile, and my Pre works fine otherwise.

Best advise I can offer is if you need 100% reliability right out of the box, select a device that's designed for the task and expect to pay the extra equipment/service costs... Or expect some growing pains and possibly some intense frustration as the solutions are found to get everything ironed out and playing nice together.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I can tether through bluetooth, using a PAN connexion. Tested on Vista and Win7, on a stock unpatched Pre 1.3.5.1
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I've been using MyTether for months now, and have never had an issue. Just make sure to follow the directions and you'll be fine. As other people have mentioned, Wifi tethering doesn't work so well with 1.3.5 and up. Bluetooth and USB (the best option IMO) are the easiest ways.

About Sprint... As long as you don't use tethering to download torrents all day everyday, you'll be fine.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I've been using MyTether for months now, and have never had an issue. Just make sure to follow the directions and you'll be fine. As other people have mentioned, Wifi tethering doesn't work so well with 1.3.5 and up. Bluetooth and USB (the best option IMO) are the easiest ways.

About Sprint... As long as you don't use tethering to download torrents all day everyday, you'll be fine.
    i've been downloading torrents out the wazooo for about 2 months no used like 30 gigs of data in a month with tethering and not a single extra penny was charged to my account.
    Quote Originally Posted by htcman724 View Post
    i've been downloading torrents out the wazooo for about 2 months no used like 30 gigs of data in a month with tethering and not a single extra penny was charged to my account.
    Lol nice. I'm surprised Sprint hasn't got suspicious of you yet. Just be careful since tethering is a violation of Sprint ToS and they can cancel your account if they really want to. I really don't think they'll do anything though.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    i use my tether over usb or wifi (where available) because my wireless chip on my laptop got fried. since 1.3.5.1 the free version of my tether didnt work for me. i uninstalled my tether, and reinstalled it using terminal and now its working again. im on the bolt bus right now heading back to the city using my pre as a router to get the free wifi on the bus.

just be mindful on how much you are tethering over USB. although the everything plan has "unlimited data" it is capped at 5gigs/month. check your monthly statements and see how much data you are using. last month i used over 2 gigs and im sure more than half is from tethering. like i said, i just browse the internet and make random posts while tethering, nothing too data intense. if you are downloading music, videos or software via tethering you are sure to go over that 5 gig cap. tethering over wifi doesnt use your data, just turns the phone into a router from my understanding.
    as far as calling sprint, i would be careful how much you say to them. they can "flag" your account and possibly monitor it. they do not want you to tether because they want you to purchase their imobile wireless plan. but even that is capped at 5 gigs!
    my acer sees my palm pre as a NAP but it asks me for a passkey to connect. What's the passkey? I can really use the help...
    Not to venture too far off-topic... but swazey brought up the issue of data usage if you are downloading music and such. I know the standard cap is around 5 Gigs per month for data, but how much difference there is in data usage between streaming music (or vid) and using tethering. I understand streaming music is compressed, but don't you still use a lot of bandwidth doing that during commutes - as you would if you were tethering your computer and surfing?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    im not exactly sure but think about it, there are many streaming audio and video apps for the pre, which i use daily and it doesnt consume too much data. i didnt realize the amount i was using until i started tethering.

i did a google search for "how much data does tethering use?" and this was the first link:
    O2: We can monitor iPhone tethering data use | News | TechRadar UK

im sure theres a post about the pre and its usage but im too lazy right now and this is a good example
    @ho0lee0h - I set my profiles up (netbook & Pre) with the standard BT pairing passkey which is 4 zeros.
    @rayevans - I used 1234 and it won't let me connect to my Acer Aspire One netbook. Bleh. I guess you got lucky?
    Quote Originally Posted by htcman724 View Post
    mmkay...
    @ho0lee0h - Try the 0000 passkey, should work.

Edit: Can't rule out luck, but I was able to duplicate the BT NAP on a customer's Acer netbook and our store demo Pre today with the 0000 passkey (my USB BT dongle/software). Luck or undocumented feature, I'll take either one.
    Last edited by rayevans; 01/12/2010 at 07:57 PM.
    see the signature. enough said. streaming crystal clear slingbox at 30fps and 1300kbps

thank you mytether