Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 191
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    Really? I mean, really?

    I think everyone should just call a spade a spade here. The Pre's UI knocks the socks of Android. But honestly, saying that the Pre is faster than the Droid is just plain incorrect.

    I mean, has anybody had this experience? Unless the Droid was bogged down by a destructive CPU process, and you're using a super special overclocked Pre, I can't see this happening.

    I mean, there are TONS of video comparisons and reviews between the two phones out there. Can anyone find any which suggests that the Droid is SLOWER than the Pre?

    Once again, I'm talking ONLY of speed as far as the UI goes.
    I would love to see a comparison between WebOS on the Pre+ and droid. I am curious if the extra RAM speeds things up in general. My bet is Droid will still be faster, but still much more clumsy.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2. #162  
    I appreciate this thread. I am absolutely not a power user- just someone who wants a great smartphone and has always liked Palm- going back to the Palm Pilot days.

    But I was wondering the same thing (iphone, droid, pre, etc) when I joined pre central and found this thread. My suspicion is that there are a fair number of people like me out there. I can choose any of them. Why should I choose Palm Pre?

    For me, I chose the Pre because it is a better phone than the iphone. I can get great reception in places where the iphone cannot get anything and the reception with Pre is better than any other cell phone we have on our other lines. I cannot comment on Nexus One, etc.

    But I am thrilled to see that this (the WebOS and Pre) community is alive and vibrant. This is how Pre apps will catch up with iphone and android. I am looking forward to video, the WebOS 1.4 upgrade, maybe someday voice dialing, etc.

    Since I think the Pre is a better phone, what else can help people understand? Any phrase or sentence that can explain to the general public why Pre is better than others (assuming "because it has WebOS" is not enough)?

    Thanks and keep up the good work.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    Really? I mean, really?

    I think everyone should just call a spade a spade here. The Pre's UI knocks the socks of Android. But honestly, saying that the Pre is faster than the Droid is just plain incorrect.

    I mean, has anybody had this experience? Unless the Droid was bogged down by a destructive CPU process, and you're using a super special overclocked Pre, I can't see this happening.

    I mean, there are TONS of video comparisons and reviews between the two phones out there. Can anyone find any which suggests that the Droid is SLOWER than the Pre?

    Once again, I'm talking ONLY of speed as far as the UI goes.
    I agree with you a bit on this. I've seen my pre matched up with a droid and an iphone here in the office, and the speed in opening apps favors them both, as do their calendars. However, the browser speeds were very similar, and in some cases favored the pre, which, I think, can be attributed somewhat to my Sprint network (which I believe is the best out there, just my opinion so take it as it is).
    One thing that does get neglected in a lot of these comparisons is the pre's ability to multitask. If you look at any of the comparison videos or listen to people's experiences, they always show head to head opening of apps. The beautiful thing about the pre is that it can not only launch multiple apps at a time, but can also keep those apps active and you can switch back and forth between them quickly and seemlessly. The fact that I can keep 3 applications open and active means that once they are open, I don't have to restart them to access them again. With the iphone I have to open the app, and then close it in order to open another app. And so on. The advantage that it has over the pre for opening apps is completely lost if you have to wait for each app to load again after closing it. The droid is the same, except to a bit lesser extent because of the multitasking abilities there, which are still much less elegant and user friendly than the pre.

    Take this example. I am using the navigator to direct me to a local pub to hang with friends when the phone rings. I answer the phone and a friend asks me to confirm that I got the email he sent an hour ago and let me know if he included the information in it (whatever that might be =). I open up the email and find what he sent me and can confirm that it's all there. While I'm doing this I get a notification that my girlfriend just sent me a text. I decide to deal with that later because I'm busy at the moment. Then I hang up and decided to stream Pandora through my car speakers via bluetooth. Then I put my phone back on the car charger (for my pre, it's a touchstone charger attached to my dash, which is perfect for the navigation app), and away I go to my destination.
    Now, this is how quickly and easily this would go on my pre: When the phone rings I answer it, leaving the nav app running in the background. Then, without hangin up on my buddy, I open my email app. I get the text notification and swipe it away. After that I can swipe away my phone and email apps, all the while keeping nav running. Then, I open up Pandora and start it up. Then I swipe back to bring nav to the main screen, set the phone on the Touchstone, and I'm done. No need to close one app to open another.

    Please, tell me how the iphone or the droid would handle this situation, and THEN tell me that using the either of them is easier and faster than using the pre.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Please, tell me how the iphone or the droid would handle this situation, and THEN tell me that using the either of them is easier and faster than using the pre.
    In the case of the Droid or any Android you tap other program that's running" for "swipe".

    Is it easier or faster? No. But it is roughly just as easy and fast, especially if you have 4-6 programs running at once.
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSilvia View Post
    Same here, lol I never saw Gtalk as being bigger than AIM or MSN. And I'm not 17 anymore so hardly ever touch facebook or for that matter, myspace.
    FB is becoming quite popular amongst the over 35 crowd. Its a great way to reconnect with people you knew 20 years ago who now live in different States< Countries or Continents.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Using an iPhone would be important if he were minutely involved in the actual development of individual capabilities of the device. He's not. He's the CEO. If he trusts his employees, then he can farm that out appropriately.
    I realize you may regard JR with the same reverence that Apple ******* regard Steve Jobs and feel criticism of him to be blasphemous. However, as CEO of Palm and former head of R&D, if he has not used an iPhone then he is clearly not doing his job to the best of his abilities. Sun Tzu would be appalled.

    The fact that he was the creator of the original iPods further strains the credibility of his claim never to have used an iPhone.
  7. #167  
    The OREO of course! Build Quality (TM)
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I realize you may regard JR with the same reverence that Apple ******* regard Steve Jobs and feel criticism of him to be blasphemous. However, as CEO of Palm and former head of R&D, if he has not used an iPhone then he is clearly not doing his job to the best of his abilities. Sun Tzu would be appalled.

    The fact that he was the creator of the original iPods further strains the credibility of his claim never to have used an iPhone.
    You "realize" that? Really? Based on what, the fact that I choose to believe him and you choose to call him an ***** or a liar?

    Weird.

    I tend to believe most people.

    I think the key here is what is meant by "used". I once borrowed an iPhone from a co-worker for about 2 minutes. Was impressed by the browser, the pinch and zoom, and not much else.

    Did I "use" it? I can guarantee you that if I said "I've used an iPhone, and it's not as good as the Pre" with that scenario, the iPhanboys would be screaming foul (and justifiably so).

    I disagree that the fact that he created the original iPod would have anything to do with whether or not he used an iPhone.

    But, more importantly, what would be his purpose in lying about such a thing?

    (and I further submit you don't know crap about what I hold in "reverence", what an asbsolutely stupid thing to say)
  9. jaywaller's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    But you have to agree that compared to the UI of webOS, the iphone looks tired and out of date. And the inability to truly multitask is sorely needed. That being said, if you handle a pre, use it to multitask, experience the ability to swith seamlessly between cards, navigate via the gesture area, utilize the Synergy abilities of the phone, etc etc etc, then I really am at a loss when presented with question of what the pre has that others don't. The pre has webOS and the hardware that utilizes it. Forget the build quality issues. They are valid, but what I mean is that the software seems to become an extension of the hardware. The gesture area and the wave launcher are physically and visually connected. The way it all rolls together makes for the best user experience I've ever had.
    what the pre has is webOS. What it lacks is an ad campaign as slick as Apples or as attention-grabbing as Android (ala Droid). Given that, in my opinion, webOS is better looking, more exciting, and more user friendly than the others, and I think the general public will finally see it too. After all, if you ask any random person, I'm sure that the overwhelming majority will have heard of android, windows mobile, and the iphone, but few will know what you're talking about when you bring up webOS.
    in the end, all I care about is that Palm is successful enough to keep making and improving their products, because I can't see myself ever being a WM/iphone/Android/...user after my experience with webOS. Pretty sure I'm not alone here.
    Very well stated!

    I have been an iPod Touch (using 3.0) and a Blackberry 4.x & 5.0 user for years and I concur you are not alone. The WebOS is superior to those OSes. What I haven't used is the Droid or any other Android based phone so I can't comment on that other than my friend has one and he complains about the touch response. Could be a hardware issue though.
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

    The fact that he was the creator of the original iPods further strains the credibility of his claim never to have used an iPhone.
    Take it easy ,
    Few things like this not using iPhone are strange , but true , may be.

    Jon Rubinstein hasn't used an iPod before creating "The iPod "
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But, more importantly, what would be his purpose in lying about such a thing?
    If you are asking that question, you haven't been following along.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubinstein View Post
    “We don’t pay that much attention to Apple….I know it sounds really strange,” says Rubinstein.
    Oh really? But then you debut iTunes syncing prior to the release of the Pre.
    Then play a little "cat and mouse" with Apple as the syncing is broken/fixed/broken.

    You following along now and see the context and what he is doing?
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    If you are asking that question, you haven't been following along.
    No, actually I have. There would be no benefit to Rubenstien lying about such a thing. Certainly no one would look down on him for having used it in the past, and it would appear that a few know-it-alls have decided that the opposite is true, that him saying such a thing makes him either an ***** or a liar.

    I suspect you (and others) have no real answer to such a quesion, thus the evasiveness.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, actually I have. There would be no benefit to Rubenstien lying about such a thing. Certainly no one would look down on him for having used it in the past, and it would appear that a few know-it-alls have decided that the opposite is true, that him saying such a thing makes him either an ***** or a liar.

    I suspect you (and others) have no real answer to such a quesion, thus the evasiveness.
    No benefit??? You are just being obtuse now...

    And I did not say he was a liar nor an *****. However I do believe he is stretching truths and playing a bit of politics (which could be construed as being a liar).



    Check out this article.

    Palm's CEO Jon Rubinstein claims he never used an iPhone, hints at a webOS tablet – Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

    Watch the company video at the bottom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubinstein View Post
    We don’t pay that much attention to Apple…
    Considering what I just previously stated, the statements Rubinstein has made with regards to Apple, the company video, the iTunes sync fiasco, etc...

    Do you not think it's reasonable that he is obviously stretching truths and playing politics?

    C'mon man~~~
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/13/2010 at 04:06 PM.
  15. #175  
    “We don’t pay that much attention to Apple….I know it sounds really strange,” says Rubinstein
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Oh really? But then you debut iTunes syncing prior to the release of the Pre.
    Then play a little "cat and mouse" with Apple as the syncing is broken/fixed/broken.

    You following along now and see the context and what he is doing?
    Nothing quite like pulling a partial quote completely out of context to "prove" a point eh?

    So, let's first look at the context. He had just been asked specifically about Apple competing in the smartphone market:
    Let's talk first about Apple, where you were how do you judge what they are doing and how do you look at them as a competitor. Because they are a juggernaut, in terms of apps, in terms of sales, in terms of mindshare, in terms of obsessive bloggers.
    To which he responded:
    There's room for three to five successful players in the market, and we intend to be of them, that doesn't mean we intend to be number one. but we intend to be one. I think this is going to sound really strange but I don't actually pay that much attention day to day to what the competition does.
    Notice the "day to day" bit. I understand leaving that in doesn't really suit your purpose, but it is important to what he said.

    So, on to the "never used an iPhone" part, here's how that went:

    KS You don't think about the iPhone at all, never, I mean?
    JR Not very much no,
    KS Really?
    JR Yeah I know it sounds very strange.
    KS I don't believe you,
    JR Yeah
    KS I don't actually believe you.
    JR What can I do?
    KS But how do you think would that be done. You look at it as a product, as a consumer using it, you have one I assume..
    JR No actually i've never used one
    KS What?!?
    JR It's the truth
    KS OK, all right...
    JR You know, I mean, I spent a lot of years at Apple, but I never used a Mac before I joined Apple
    Context is important. What he actually says (as opposed to your shortened version) is too.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    No benefit??? You are just being obtuse now...

    And I did not say he was a liar nor an *****. However I do believe he is stretching truths and playing a bit of politics (which could be construed as being a liar).
    Nope, not at all. You can point me to the article all you wish (I saw the video, I don't need an article to tell me what he said), you have yet to say what benefit he has in lying about such a thing, especially in the off-hand way it came up.

    Nor did I say you called him an ***** or a liar, but it's been brought up in the thread.
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You "realize" that? Really? Based on what, the fact that I choose to believe him and you choose to call him an ***** or a liar?

    Weird.

    I tend to believe most people.
    The Nigerian junk emailers must love you. For the record I don't think he is an *****, I think he is a liar. Most CEOs are economical with the truth.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Multiasking on winmo phone is terrible. The only way to find out what programs were running is by going to task manager and by that time the phone is crawling. At least with Palm I know what programs are running and can easily close them.
    not true, i am a previous paln treo user. Now using the htc touch hd. it does not sloe down at all. only complain about wm is i cannot copy sms tel number directly into my appointment
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    Really? I mean, really?

    I think everyone should just call a spade a spade here. The Pre's UI knocks the socks of Android. But honestly, saying that the Pre is faster than the Droid is just plain incorrect.

    I mean, has anybody had this experience? Unless the Droid was bogged down by a destructive CPU process, and you're using a super special overclocked Pre, I can't see this happening.

    I mean, there are TONS of video comparisons and reviews between the two phones out there. Can anyone find any which suggests that the Droid is SLOWER than the Pre?

    Once again, I'm talking ONLY of speed as far as the UI goes.
    I mean really really. I have a normal pre with a few homebrew apps. the droid was on it's home screen. nothing running. navigating it WAS faster and responded better imo. so idk what the deal is. I didn't do extensive lab trials. i was playing around with both, from them sitting at idle.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Nigerian junk emailers must love you. For the record I don't think he is an *****, I think he is a liar. Most CEOs are economical with the truth.
    I said "people", not bots. You do understand that there's no Nigerian typing and sending each of those emails, right?

    Good to see that you've based your assessment on something as solid as your personal disdain for CEOs. Since (under your assessment) anything and everything he says is totally suspect, I guess there's not much point in discussing what he's saying.

    We could move on to whether or not the paying the Nigerians will work, since it would make about as much sense (if your assessment is true).
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions