Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post

1. Lack of Pre-EXCLUSIVE features: I actually think that exclusive features usually aren't as helpful as some would think. Take BlackBerry Messenger: it's cool, yes, but it's also proprietary so it's only useful with owners of other BlackBerries. Wouldn't it be better to use something that's more open i.e. AIM, Yahoo Messenger? Heck, SMS & MMS. I'm sure there are other examples, but my point is most people don't get BlackBerries for BBM, or any one phone for whatever exclusive feature it has (unless they're sheeple). Other exclusive features aren't as big of a deal as they are made to be: Google Maps Navigation is still navigation. Yes it's cool, but Sprint Nav will get me to point B as well. Most people get their phone for the total package.
    That's not a good example. What PIN messaging gives is reliable, timely delivery. You simply cannot achieve what PIN messaging does using any of those other technologies you cite. When I get the 'delivered' and 'read' messages back, I know that the message has, indeed, been delivered and/or read. I know exactly when that occurred. SMS? IMAP Idle mail? Sometimes I'm lucky if they come in the proper order, let alone in a timely manner.

Blackberry devices have a truly push-based message delivery system for mail and messaging. No other platform has this. This is why blacberries still are the best messaging devices on the market.

I love my pre above my old curve, but the above is a simple fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywaller View Post
    Not sure about Android but my Palm Pre allows me to connect MULTIPLE Exchange ActiveSync accounts on one device. The iPhone only allows you to connect to one Exchange Server and the integration is not even as good as the Palm.

This is a major deal breaker for anyone working in an industry that maintains a client email address and a business email address separately. I am a Consultant and am required to receive both client email and company emails, without the use of third party connectors.

You could say Blackberry does it but "not so fast..." - not if your company does not allow third party email helpers (such as BIS). BES only supports one Exchange account.
    This is the actually one of the best answers given to the OP's original question. If you need multiple exchange account access, the Pre is probably the only smartphone which can do this.

I disagree that its always "a major deal breaker for anyone working in an industry that maintains a client email address and a business email address separately." though. Most people don't use exchange for personal email. My Company not only doesn't allow BIS access to their email servers, the don't allow any access except via BES on a company owned BB with personal email access locked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    BBM allows you to message over SMS. The standard BB "email" app can provide a single inbox for email, SMS, BBM and Facebook messages.
    Understood, but the issue is that it uses the BB's PIN, and is thus restricted to BB devices (using BB's servers). That's too restrictive. I don't want a highway system that only allows one brand of car.
    "precentral"
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Its also hampered by a terrible calendar app - slow and very cumbersome - as well as an anemic memo app.

These native applications were strong PIM features on the treos, but surprisingly bad on the pres....
    Actually, I've heard very few complaints about the speed of the Calendar since 1.3.5. Have you tried using it lately?
    That would be the same guy who claims never to have used an iPhone. He is either an ***** or a liar.
    That's funny. He's successfully running a multi-million dollar company, and you base the "*****" claim on .... what? I'm not about to question anyone's honesty simply because I'm not fond of their answer.

I'm wondering if you have any proof, or just your ... highly trained general musings...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Q: What does the PRE have the other phones don't?
    A: A Plus version released less than a year later.
    Just for the record (and to be ornery)
    Wrong
    The Pixi was released released 11/15/2009, and the Plus version is scheduled for release 1/25/2009. That's a little over 2 months, and definitely less than a year.
    That would be the same guy who claims never to have used an iPhone. He is either an ***** or a liar.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's funny. He's successfully running a multi-million dollar company, and you base the "*****" claim on .... what? I'm not about to question anyone's honesty simply because I'm not fond of their answer.

I'm wondering if you have any proof, or just your ... highly trained general musings...
    I understand your point but I too find it very unlikely that that someone who worked for Apple from 1997-2006, was senior vice president of Apple's iPod division which released the iPod Touch on September of '07 (the year after he left) which is essentially a iPhone without a phone radio, was hired by Palm to lead the company's research, development, and engineering efforts and eventually became CEO... has never "used" an iPhone.

Isn't that similar to Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."

Maybe in some "politically technical manner" he has never "used" an iPhone but he certainly has to be very "familiar" with it.

You know... kinda like Bill was "familiar" with Monica Lewinsky!

I agree that it is unlikely that he is an ***** which makes him dishonest. I personally have never used an iPhone but I am not the CEO of a small company that recently launched an iPhone competitor (and which has sells no products which are not iPhone competitors). For JR not to do so is at a minimum negligent.

In any event, I now treat everything he says with a certain amount of suspicion.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    That's not a good example. What PIN messaging gives is reliable, timely delivery. You simply cannot achieve what PIN messaging does using any of those other technologies you cite. When I get the 'delivered' and 'read' messages back, I know that the message has, indeed, been delivered and/or read. I know exactly when that occurred. SMS? IMAP Idle mail? Sometimes I'm lucky if they come in the proper order, let alone in a timely manner.

Blackberry devices have a truly push-based message delivery system for mail and messaging. No other platform has this. This is why blacberries still are the best messaging devices on the market.

I love my pre above my old curve, but the above is a simple fact.
    Have you read throughout this thread at all? The point I was trying to make is that no matter how good a feature is (and I DID say that BBM is the best mobile messaging app in a later post), it is hampered by being on one platform. So, my example IS a good one. Your post does remain a fact, but blindly misses my point. BBM is awesome. But it also S*CKS if you try to use it to send a message to my Pre.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    This is the actually one of the best answers given to the OP's original question. If you need multiple exchange account access, the Pre is probably the only smartphone which can do this.

I disagree that its always "a major deal breaker for anyone working in an industry that maintains a client email address and a business email address separately." though. Most people don't use exchange for personal email. My Company not only doesn't allow BIS access to their email servers, the don't allow any access except via BES on a company owned BB with personal email access locked out.
    Yes I could have rephrased that. How about this:

"This is a major reason to choose the Pre over other phones; anyone working in an industry that maintains a client email address and a business email address, both using Microsoft Exchange, but wants only one device."

It was a deal-breaker (for choosing anything other than the Pre) for me and the reason I chose the Pre.
    Last edited by jaywaller; 01/12/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywaller View Post
    Yes I could have rephrased that. How about this:

"This is a major reason to choose the Pre over other phones; anyone working in an industry that maintains a client email address and a business email address, both using Microsoft Exchange, but wants only one device."

It was a deal-breaker (for choosing anything other than the Pre) for me and the reason I chose the Pre.
    I certainly can't argue with that.
    Actually, I've heard very few complaints about the speed of the Calendar since 1.3.5. Have you tried using it lately?
    Is that sarcasm? You know he doesn't actually own a Pre.
    This thread is a joke, and a pretty funny one at that. Not sure what the OP is looking for here. Maybe a pre that cleans your toilet. And the Apple backers...yes, yes, we all agree that the iphone is a great product, even though a lot of it's success comes from a phenomenal advertising campaign. Apple can hype it's products better than any other company on earth, and it doesn't hurt that the product is very good.
    But you have to agree that compared to the UI of webOS, the iphone looks tired and out of date. And the inability to truly multitask is sorely needed. That being said, if you handle a pre, use it to multitask, experience the ability to swith seamlessly between cards, navigate via the gesture area, utilize the Synergy abilities of the phone, etc etc etc, then I really am at a loss when presented with question of what the pre has that others don't. The pre has webOS and the hardware that utilizes it. Forget the build quality issues. They are valid, but what I mean is that the software seems to become an extension of the hardware. The gesture area and the wave launcher are physically and visually connected. The way it all rolls together makes for the best user experience I've ever had.
    what the pre has is webOS. What it lacks is an ad campaign as slick as Apples or as attention-grabbing as Android (ala Droid). Given that, in my opinion, webOS is better looking, more exciting, and more user friendly than the others, and I think the general public will finally see it too. After all, if you ask any random person, I'm sure that the overwhelming majority will have heard of android, windows mobile, and the iphone, but few will know what you're talking about when you bring up webOS.
    in the end, all I care about is that Palm is successful enough to keep making and improving their products, because I can't see myself ever being a WM/iphone/Android/...user after my experience with webOS. Pretty sure I'm not alone here.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 01/12/2010 at 07:25 PM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Isn't that similar to Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."
    It would only be similar if he (Rubenstein) has actually used an iPhone.
    I agree that it is unlikely that he is an ***** which makes him dishonest. I personally have never used an iPhone but I am not the CEO of a small company that recently launched an iPhone competitor (and which has sells no products which are not iPhone competitors). For JR not to do so is at a minimum negligent.

In any event, I now treat everything he says with a certain amount of suspicion.
    There is a third option you know. "You're just wrong". Might be hard to fathom, but there it is.

Using an iPhone would be important if he were minutely involved in the actual development of individual capabilities of the device. He's not. He's the CEO. If he trusts his employees, then he can farm that out appropriately.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Is that sarcasm? You know he doesn't actually own a Pre.
    Nope. No sarcasm. In spite of the nonsense he spews often, he does often get some things right on the Pre, and might even have access to a friend's. I was going with the idea that he might be posting from personal experience instead of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    what the pre has is webOS. What it lacks is an ad campaign as slick as Apples or as attention-grabbing as Android (ala Droid). Given that, in my opinion, webOS is better looking, more exciting, and more user friendly than the others, and I think the general public will finally see it too.
    This is oddly enough one of the many reasons I started looking into the PrPrPr&#$275$;

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    in the end, all I care about is that Palm is successful enough to keep making and improving their products, because I can't see myself ever being a WM/iphone/Android/...user after my experience with webOS. Pretty sure I'm not alone here.
    For the past couple years a couple of my friends have the iPhone. watching them use it, play around on it, talking about it. I was still not impressed. On top of my *general distaste for Apple products*

One of my buddies has the BBerry Storm. I was looking forward to it before it came out till he got it and let me use it. sluggish and can't stand typing on it. That and it's a bit bulky.

Recently my friend got the Droid, I was on the edge to see how that performed. I absolutely can't stand it's slide. You have to kinda have to force it open. It really feels like an old broken slider phone that it on the verge of breaking in half and having to force it open. Side by side the UI is slower than the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $Android$ $has$ $thousands$ $more$ $apps$ $but$ $that$ $wasn$'$t$ $a$ $real$ $big$ $seller$ $for$ $me$. $I$ $knew$ $the$ $WebOS$ $was$ $open$ $source$ $so$ $it$ $would$ $just$ $be$ $as$ $flexible$ $if$ $not$ $more$ $so$ $for$ $developers$.

*as to not bore you with my reasons. My general distaste for Apple is that everything from Apple is made to work together. And I'm sorry, spending a grand plus for a computer when you can get a more mainstream PC that more powerful and customizable for way less just goes against all logic. Almost every Mac user has some sort of smugness to them that irks the hell outta me. I am also majoring in Networking, implementing as such on a Mac is a pain in the a If I had money to blow and be blueballed trying to fix or alter something on a shiny Mac I would. (ie upgrading RAM, I can slip the cover off my case right next to me and do it and be done. not have to take the whole unit apart.)

but w/e looking forward to the Flash 10.1 update.
    I don't know anyone using GTalk but many of my Friends do use FB messaging.
    Same here, lol I never saw Gtalk as being bigger than AIM or MSN. And I'm not 17 anymore so hardly ever touch facebook or for that matter, myspace. I can see why people still want it though. but back to Gtalk, the only person on my buddy list is an old friend that works at synacor... in India. As for Yahoo I only have random contacts that I frankly never talked to.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSilvia View Post
    Side by side the UI is slower than the PrPrPr&#$275$;. .
    Really? I mean, really?

I think everyone should just call a spade a spade here. The Pre's UI knocks the socks of Android. But honestly, saying that the Pre is faster than the Droid is just plain incorrect.

I mean, has anybody had this experience? Unless the Droid was bogged down by a destructive CPU process, and you're using a super special overclocked Pre, I can't see this happening.

I mean, there are TONS of video comparisons and reviews between the two phones out there. Can anyone find any which suggests that the Droid is SLOWER than the Pre?

Once again, I'm talking ONLY of speed as far as the UI goes.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast