Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 191
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know you could always buy ringtones and crap from carriers. In that since, there have always been app stores, if you want to call them that. But Apple definitely brought a unique spin to it. In fact, when Apple announced it, people were not saying "Oh, that's just like Palm's store." they thought it would fail because of the 70/30 split, tight control over what went into, the app store as the exclusive way to get apps onto the phone, and so on. One click purchasing from a single vendor: Apple, the integration/synchronization with the computer; all these things made the App store unique and successful. Now, Palm offers an app catalogue that much more resembles what Apple is doing than anything Palm did before. Today, every phone manufacturer TV maker, and service provider of any kind has, or is preparing an app store reminiscent of the iPhone, not the Pre.
    How does it resemble apples super controlling app prison?? ANY DEVELOPER CAN GET ANY APP THEY CREATE ON THE DEVICE WITH PALMS APPROVAL. I can make my own app and sell it right on my website, cant do that with apple. I can make an app that is ****ographic, or has a dial pad or Music player and then sell it in the official app store, or not.... Cant do that with the apple app store....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    Thanks for the mini review - I'd be interested in hearing more details as you (or anyone else) compares the Droid ERIS and Palm Pre.

    My wife just ordered a Droid ERIS for herself about two hours ago. We have service with Verizon and she got an e-mail from them about a week ago with a limited time early phone upgrade available to her only. This is her first smart phone and she has been looking at various Blackberries and other Verizon phones for a few months now.

    On the other hand, I have been holding out for the Pre and have followed the stories about the Pre coming to Verizon for the past six months with great interest. I have a Palm Centro right now and have been using Palm's PDA devices for about ten years dating back to the Palm IIIc.

    I know the Pre Plus is finally coming to Verizon at the end of this month, but I have to wait until the end of March for my "New Every Two" upgrade eligibility. So I'll be exposed to about 11 weeks of my wife using her Droid phone before I can get my hands on a Pre. Any stories I can get about how much better my phone will be compared to her Droid ERIS will be helpful to me while I wait. (Or you can add to my suffering and agony by telling me she is getting the better phone out of the deal and getting it NOW).
    It all depends on what you want to do and how you use your phone. As others have said here, for me it's all about the interface. I am constantly finding myself in the position where I want or need to do multiple things on the phone and the Pre is just way better than anything out there at that.

    It's just so nice when you can be working on an email or something, when you get a notification for something else and you can jump over and address the other issue and then easily pop back to what you were doing before. The way it handles notifications, and the cards and gestures make it a breeze. It's not just about the ability to do multiple things, it's how you actually do them in the interface.

    The thing that's nice about the ERIS is that it's been around a while so it's a more mature and polished OS. When you go in and look at individual components there are more options built into them. But moving around between applications has the same sucky feel as on the iPhone. Plus, the onscreen keyboard isn't all that good, I had a really hard time typing out a simple sentence, and the autocorrect gave me the wrong word more than once. It's a nice device, but doesn't work for how I use my phone - at least not as well as the Pre.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know you could always buy ringtones and crap from carriers. In that since, there have always been app stores, if you want to call them that. But Apple definitely brought a unique spin to it. In fact, when Apple announced it, people were not saying "Oh, that's just like Palm's store." they thought it would fail because of the 70/30 split, tight control over what went into, the app store as the exclusive way to get apps onto the phone, and so on. One click purchasing from a single vendor: Apple, the integration/synchronization with the computer; all these things made the App store unique and successful. Now, Palm offers an app catalogue that much more resembles what Apple is doing than anything Palm did before. Today, every phone manufacturer TV maker, and service provider of any kind has, or is preparing an app store reminiscent of the iPhone, not the Pre.
    Does your Iphone have an ambient light sensor?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4. #44  
    What point is danbj13 TRYING to do here other than troll?

    Seriously....this is an obvious troll attempt and he just keeps going at this point.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    What point is danbj13 TRYING to do here other than troll?

    Seriously....this is an obvious troll attempt and he just keeps going at this point.
    I know....Im bored. I'll stop feeding him.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I know....Im bored. I'll stop feeding him.
    Ditto. What's interesting is that I haven't been around for a while, and on return have noticed that there seem to be a lot less iPhone trolls here. I was assuming they'd all moved on to the Droid forums...
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Wrong. You could buy applications and install them well before Apple offered a phone of any type. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    You're right. Everyone is copying the paradigm shifting Palm app store.
  8. #48  
    I even think it might be past due for locking up this thread.
  9. #49  
    hahahaha holy cow guys. Look at dandbj13's post history.

    All he does is post about Palm copying apple and points related to that.

    Why hasn't he been banned yet?
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    hahahaha holy cow guys. Look at dandbj13's post history.

    All he does is post about Palm copying apple and points related to that.

    Why hasn't he been banned yet?
    Hmm... How about we ban everyone who routinely spouts false information about Palm and anyone else. That would include all those who exaggerate Palm's accomplishments as well as make false statements about Palm's competitors. Uninformed enthusiasts do not help any platform. Making claims that the iPhone brought nothing new to the table while the Pre is SO unique, only looks desperate and highly uninformed. So, by all means, let's start banning the uninformed. You first.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Hmm... How about we ban everyone who routinely spouts false information about Palm and anyone else. That would include all those who exaggerate Palm's accomplishments as well as make false statements about Palm's competitors. Uninformed enthusiasts do not help any platform. Making claims that the iPhone brought nothing new to the table while the Pre is SO unique, only looks desperate and highly uninformed. So, by all means, let's start banning the uninformed. You first.
    Why are you on this board? Honestly.

    You obviously don't' like the Pre...and this is a Palm Pre enthusiast site.

    Not only that, you aren't even trying to argue facts instead you are just trying to get your agenda across.


    So why are you here?
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    my pre has the nfl and nascar, I know that no other phones offer this.. Complete coverage of these two sports are the reason I own a pre
    I know this was (likely ?) said toungue in cheek, however; there's a point here.

    The iTunes capability of the iPhone was no more "ground breaking" than these apps. As Apple has gone to pretty great lengths to prove, they own iTunes. Nobody but their devices can run it.

    If you take away the brand name, the brag is that the iPhone "introduced" a portable music player on the smartphone, except they didn't. It had already been done years before. By Palm.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Why are you on this board? Honestly.

    You obviously don't' like the Pre...and this is a Palm Pre enthusiast site.

    Not only that, you aren't even trying to argue facts instead you are just trying to get your agenda across.


    So why are you here?
    to defend poor apple?
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Why are you on this board? Honestly.

    You obviously don't' like the Pre...and this is a Palm Pre enthusiast site.

    Not only that, you aren't even trying to argue facts instead you are just trying to get your agenda across.


    So why are you here?
    Read the original post that started this thread. It is a good question and one that I have had for some time. I read with interest to see what others had to say. Noticed when I stepped in and what I responded to. It was a truly insane and provocative comment. I have not been off topic or untrue. The agenda has been to manufacture some sort of Pre exclusive feature while ignoring the problem: Palm's most visible features and initiatives seem to be "me too" responses to the iPhone. That will not win in the market place. I have said many times that for Palm to win, it has to innovate and lead in some meaningful category. Catching up just does not cut it. I contend that my observations are more helpful to anyone who really cares about Palm than yours.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ...
    Tell me again how Palm innovated that cool new editing feature? Ready to move on to... Oh, what's the point.
    I don't think the point was that Palm did, I think the point was that iPhone didn't.

    How is "ripping something off" from another smartphone somehow better than a smartphone "ripping it off" from another computing device (and when you get right down to it, a smartphone is exactly that, another computing device)?
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Read the original post that started this thread. It is a good question and one that I have had for some time. I read with interest to see what others had to say. Noticed when I stepped in and what I responded to. It was a truly insane and provocative comment. I have not been off topic or untrue. The agenda has been to manufacture some sort of Pre exclusive feature while ignoring the problem: Palm's most visible features and initiatives seem to be "me too" responses to the iPhone. That will not win in the market place. I have said many times that for Palm to win, it has to innovate and lead in some meaningful category. Catching up just does not cut it. I contend that my observations are more helpful to anyone who really cares about Palm than yours.
    If you have used WebOS, the phone does many new and unique things over the iPhone. They also share similarities...and the iPhone has its own unique features.

    What you are doing is trying to create a witch hunt for something that doesn't exisit. This type of thread was expected before and shortly after the Pre launched...but 8 months later and you feel the need to keep this up?


    Really??

    If you don't like the Pre thats fine, but again...stop your witch hunt. Its pathetic.

    And maybe listen to Josh Topolosky over at Engadget...he thinks the Palm Pre + is going to be his next primary phone. Over the precious iPhone.


    Way to only play catch up Palm....
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    ...
    I know the Pre Plus is finally coming to Verizon at the end of this month, but I have to wait until the end of March for my "New Every Two" upgrade eligibility. So I'll be exposed to about 11 weeks of my wife using her Droid phone before I can get my hands on a Pre
    ...
    Maybe we should have a "badgering 101" thread/forum, but I'll digress from the original thread here a little:

    Why not call them up sooner? Possibly shortly before the 25th, maybe a little after, and try the following:

    I know I'm not supposed to be eligible quite yet, but I have a proposal for you folks: Let me upgrade now, and I'll sign a new 2 year contract now. If you make me wait 11 more more weeks, I'll be eligible to shop around with other carriers. While the Pre+ looks enticing right now, Sprint's lower pricing will also look enticing when I'm eligible. It would be a plus for you to take that off the table by allowing me to upgrade now, and it would be a plus for me that I can get my new phone sooner.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Read the original post that started this thread. It is a good question and one that I have had for some time. I read with interest to see what others had to say. Noticed when I stepped in and what I responded to. It was a truly insane and provocative comment. I have not been off topic or untrue. The agenda has been to manufacture some sort of Pre exclusive feature while ignoring the problem: Palm's most visible features and initiatives seem to be "me too" responses to the iPhone. That will not win in the market place. I have said many times that for Palm to win, it has to innovate and lead in some meaningful category. Catching up just does not cut it. I contend that my observations are more helpful to anyone who really cares about Palm than yours.
    Baloney.

    Your response was to this comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

    however, I dont think the way you approach the problem is correct:

    think, compare to ALL other devices:

    what does iPhone have that no other devices have?
    what does BBhave that no other devices have?
    what does androidhave that no other devices have?
    what does wm have that no other devices have?
    You're saying it's insane to ask a question about what the iPhone doesn't have that other phones provide? Only someone who's drunk the koolaid would think so. Hell, it wasn't even specifically directed to iPhone, you just picked that one out.

    No, what you did was jump in and started talking about how everybody on the planet copied everything they do from your beloved Apple when that wasn't even the question.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know you could always buy ringtones and crap from carriers. In that since, there have always been app stores, if you want to call them that. But Apple definitely brought a unique spin to it. In fact, when Apple announced it, people were not saying "Oh, that's just like Palm's store." they thought it would fail because of the 70/30 split, tight control over what went into, the app store as the exclusive way to get apps onto the phone, and so on. One click purchasing from a single vendor: Apple, the integration/synchronization with the computer; all these things made the App store unique and successful. Now, Palm offers an app catalogue that much more resembles what Apple is doing than anything Palm did before. Today, every phone manufacturer TV maker, and service provider of any kind has, or is preparing an app store reminiscent of the iPhone, not the Pre.
    Now, I want to make sure I understand your point.

    The App store was innovative because Apple leveraged a monopoly. And this was innovation?

    Your comment that "every phone manufacturere TV maker, and server provider" not only is way too broad, but completely overlooks what Palm did.

    They have the App store, plus multiple other distribution modes.

    So, they've either further innovated, or they didn't copy Apple; but you can't say they copied Apple's "exclusive way" when they, in fact, offer multiple ways.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think the point was that Palm did, I think the point was that iPhone didn't.

    How is "ripping something off" from another smartphone somehow better than a smartphone "ripping it off" from another computing device (and when you get right down to it, a smartphone is exactly that, another computing device)?
    That is a response that is thoughtful and well considered. Thank you. I still don't agree, but it is the best comment to come along in a while.

    Yes, it can be done a computer. That is not the point, IMO. Apple has a way of making things seem obvious. The point is that no one thought of doing that on a smart phone until Apple did it. I dare say there are other means of editing video on a phone. Palm didn't even try to come up with ones of them. They just did what Apple did.

    Capacitive touch phone operating systems seem obvious now, yet who had one before Apple? Palm has been making phones for well over a decade. When it came time for a "hail Mary" pass, they pulled a device from the upstart: Apple's playbook, instead of their own. The Pre is not an exact photo copy, but it seems clear that had there not been an iPhone, there would never have been a Pre. Furthermore, the Pre has not significantly improved any of the borrowed features to call them unique or innovative.

    What I want to see from all of the manufacturers is something different, not just an iteration of what someone else has done. Let someone else shake up the industry with a fresh idea.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions