Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Are you actually physically drinking the koolaid as you're writing these? That stuff is strong.
    I concur. I wonder if he threw up when the iPhone copied Palm with a grid design of icons on their phone.

Oh wait...sensible people relaize this is how progression is. How many more ways can you edit video on a touch screen phone?

But even if we played into his "complaint" who cares if someone stole something? As long as its better....what more do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    You're right. When I said WinMo and Android multitasked 'as well' as WebOS, I meant that they also had COMPLETE multitasking, not incomplete partial multitasking like BB and iPhone.
    What exactly is "incomplete" about BB multi-tasking?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

Please tell me about the Palm product that had these features before the iPhone. Tell me about any phone that sported these features before the iPhone. The fact is, the Pre is nothing more than Palm's version of the iPhone with a few tweaks and improvements here and there. Yeah, Ruby never used an iPhone, does not pay attention to Apple, and drew none of these ideas from the competition. How gullible can some people be?
    Talk about delusional and gullible; who was selling a smartphone first, Apple or Palm? If anything, the iPhone is Apple's version of the smartphone after Palm developed the original. Nor did Apple create the first PMP, they STOLE that idea from someone else too. With a few tweaks and improvements here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    In phone app store was implemented by Palm with the My treo store. Sure it was mostly filled with ringtones/wallpaper and crap apps but it was there.
    No don't worry. Apple invented EVERYTHING.

Even their cool commercials about apps...

waiiit.
    my pre has the nfl and nascar, I know that no other phones offer this.. Complete coverage of these two sports are the reason I own a pre
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    unified MSG system.
    wave launcher
    flip up card to close program
    flip side way to switch program
    free gps navigation
    wireless charging
    usb mode
    open software distribution
    frequent OTA upgrade
    Many of these features are not unique to WebOS. For example, free GPS navigation is a Sprint feature. Many phones have a USB mode including the Treo Pro and all modern Blackberries. Open software distribution has been around since PalmOS and is still supported by BB and WM. Blackberries have supported the concept of unified messaging for years though not as elegantly as WebOS perhaps.
    I think one feature that hasn't been mentioned that makes the Pre outstanding is the whole gesture experience, which replaces pushing buttons and such. This gives the whole WebOs experience a pizazz and panache that no other phone can match. Which will be even better on the Pre Plus.
    The key for me with any device that I spend money on is it's usefulness. Does the it, beyond all the bells and whistles, help me to be more productive is the question I ask. Ease of use, and speed on the Pre via multi-tasking, task bar, gestures, etc, help me do that. Also appealing about the Pre, is its latent potential. We are seeing some very positive things like the burgeoning development community, and over the air updates that have come frequently since the Pre's release less than a year ago. (Palm's opening of the SDK, and general support of developers has been pretty groundbreaking, and in my limited view, a new approach to how to launch a new platform, and the future products that will run on it). I don't think we have seen a core community as invested in a smart phone product, and this actually bodes well for Palm in the long run. I think it's also a boon for early adopters too. In the end the significant updates to come, make the device they use in January and February, a much more powerful smartphone than what they purchased say in June or July. The average consumer has yet to really come to know the Pre yet, but I think that will come as the device becomes more streamlined. The launches on Verizon and AT&T will say a lot about the Pre's effect, and its reception from average users.

T.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
    Seems there are lots of clever ways to avoid the central question. Let's take it one by one. We can start with the last one.

Video Editing: Did Palm have this implementation before the iPhone, or did they shamelessly rip it off? Please point out any implementation of this feature by anyone before the iPhone.
    Seems there are lots of clever ways to avoid the central question. Let's take it one by one. We can start with the last one.

Video Editing: Did Palm have this implementation before the iPhone, or did they shamelessly rip it off? Please point out any implementation of this feature by anyone before the iPhone.
    shamelessly rip it off?

How about how I had a store on my old treo to buy apps before there was the App Store? How about My PDA before the Iphone came out could play mp3? Seriously its progress. Either move on, or move out of the way! Harp on who stole what idea, how that helps apple, or anyone for that matter idk. Why doesn't apple step in with a lawsuit then? .... Something about Palms deep handheld and mobile patent books??? Don't forget when apple first went handheld with the newton, the market led by palm pooped on them. BUT BUT that was then this is now....summer of .

Oh I know something apple does that palm hasn't copied, SUING ITS USERS FOR MODIFYING THEIR PHONES. i guess +1 apple. Lame.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/11/2010 at 12:30 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.

Use a timeline to trim video. How clever?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Seriously its progress. Either move on, or move out of the way! Harp on who stole what idea, how that helps apple, or anyone for that matter. ...
    Right. All thieves have such justifications for why it is alright for them to steal. This is clearly not an honest assessment of what uniqueness Palm brings to the table with their offerings. I initially responded to the absurd notion that the iPhone brought nothing new to the game. Obviously, the way you get to sleep at night is to tell yourself that everyone stole everything from everyone and that Palm is not different from anyone else. Sweet dreams. Intellectual honesty can be rather inconvenient at times.

Tell me again how Palm innovated that cool new editing feature? Ready to move on to... Oh, what's the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Use a timeline to trim video. How clever?
    So obvious, all video capable phones must have be doing it long before the 3rd gen iPhone, right?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    We bought my son a Droid Eris last night. I really like the features of that phone, but WebOS still has it on multitasking. Other than the nice notification system, using that thing is just like using an iPhone - you do one thing at a time, and if you want to get back to something else you're working on it's a kludge.
    Thanks for the mini review - I'd be interested in hearing more details as you (or anyone else) compares the Droid ERIS and Palm Pre.

My wife just ordered a Droid ERIS for herself about two hours ago. We have service with Verizon and she got an e-mail from them about a week ago with a limited time early phone upgrade available to her only. This is her first smart phone and she has been looking at various Blackberries and other Verizon phones for a few months now.

On the other hand, I have been holding out for the Pre and have followed the stories about the Pre coming to Verizon for the past six months with great interest. I have a Palm Centro right now and have been using Palm's PDA devices for about ten years dating back to the Palm IIIc.

I know the Pre Plus is finally coming to Verizon at the end of this month, but I have to wait until the end of March for my "New Every Two" upgrade eligibility. So I'll be exposed to about 11 weeks of my wife using her Droid phone before I can get my hands on a Pre. Any stories I can get about how much better my phone will be compared to her Droid ERIS will be helpful to me while I wait. (Or you can add to my suffering and agony by telling me she is getting the better phone out of the deal and getting it NOW).
    Right. All thieves have such justifications for why it is alright for them to steal. This is clearly not an honest assessment of what uniqueness Palm brings to the table with their offerings. I initially responded to the absurd notion that the iPhone brought nothing new to the game. Obviously, the way you get to sleep at night is to tell yourself that everyone stole everything from everyone and that Palm is not different from anyone else. Sweet dreams. Intellectual honesty can be rather inconvenient at times.

Tell me again how Palm innovated that cool new editing feature? Ready to move on to... Oh, what's the point.
    I like that you keep harping on one thing when people bring up multiple other things in line with WHAT THE THREAD TITLE ASKED.

What video editing program DOES NOT use a timeline?

Seriously. iPhone brought editing to mobile devices...bravo....

It would be pathetic if Palm didn't do the same thing.

Last one? How about starting with the first and most basic question; did Apple even OFFER a a phone of ANY kind back when Palm was selling Treos with PDA functions installable applications including games? Or did they just shamelessly rip that off?

Don't pretend your smarter than the lawyers at Apple. Your not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I like that you keep harping on one thing when people bring up multiple other things in line with WHAT THE THREAD TITLE ASKED.

What video editing program DOES NOT use a timeline?

Seriously. iPhone brought editing to mobile devices...bravo....

It would be pathetic if Palm didn't do the same thing.
    What is pathetic is that Palm did EXACTLY the same thing. I am bringing things up one at a time because it is easy to obfuscate with multiple points.
    What is pathetic is that Palm did EXACTLY the same thing. I am bringing things up one at a time because it is easy to obfuscate with multiple points.
    Really? Does the Iphone have an ambient light sensor?

#7,268,775, Palms patent entitled "Dynamic brightness range for portable computer displays based on ambient conditions," for example -- it covers automatically adjusting display brightness using an ambient light sensor while leaving a user-selected brightness setting alone.
    Or how about #7,007,239, "Method and apparatus for accessing a contacts database and telephone services"? (this guy covers pulling up a contact by typing the initals as well) Another apple rip off of palm
    patent #7,231,208, "User interface-technique for managing an active call": it describes in detail a conference call management system that's exactly like the iPhone's -- you put one call on hold while you make another, and then you can independently manage each call from a single screen
    Yep thats another palm idea and patent. SO tell me, why is it okay for apple to steal those? BECAUSE ITS PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last one? How about starting with the first and most basic question; did Apple even OFFER a a phone of ANY kind back when Palm was selling Treos with PDA functions installable applications including games? Or did they just shamelessly rip that off?
    I know you could always buy ringtones and crap from carriers. In that since, there have always been app stores, if you want to call them that. But Apple definitely brought a unique spin to it. In fact, when Apple announced it, people were not saying "Oh, that's just like Palm's store." they thought it would fail because of the 70/30 split, tight control over what went into, the app store as the exclusive way to get apps onto the phone, and so on. One click purchasing from a single vendor: Apple, the integration/synchronization with the computer; all these things made the App store unique and successful. Now, Palm offers an app catalogue that much more resembles what Apple is doing than anything Palm did before. Today, every phone manufacturer TV maker, and service provider of any kind has, or is preparing an app store reminiscent of the iPhone, not the Pre.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast