View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Just ran a huge test over the last 2 days.

Stock Battery with Stock AC Charger.
    Phone Unplugged @ 100%

Battery Lasted 30 hours Before hitting 20%.
    Battery Monitor (2.68% Drain Per Hour)

24 Hours of Full 1x voice with Wifi On. (Airave Full Signal but EV jumps in and out so I leave on wifi.)
    6 Hours of Full EV and 2-3 Bars Voice.
    30 Text Messages
    13 Phone Calls (Longest Call was 5 Min's)
    30 Min's Web Browsing (PreCentral, Amazon, Tiger Direct, Banking, Ect..)
    1 Pop E-mail Account Set To 1 Hour
    Downloaded 4 New apps
    25 Min's of Gaming (Paratrooper, Presteroids, Paper Football, Super Hangman)
    10 Min's of News (Engadget, Newsweek, Express News)
    Download New Update 1.3.5.1
    Checked Weather 5 Times
    10 Min's of Fanango to check movie times and watch trailers
    10 Min's of Pandora with wifi over bluetooth.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    I too have the Netgear WPN824 router at home and I'm having significant battery drain. I did some monitoring last night and with the wifi on I was getting about 17-20% drain, with it off i was getting 3-4% drain (nothing else running but the battery monitor......no calls, no texts, etc). At work we have a linksys WRT160 and yesterday I was getting about 1-2% drain. Nick made a good point, the router might be the culprit..... it seems to be the common element. I think I may have an old Linksys router at home and will try it out tonight.
    I'm usign the same router - very interested to see what your results are after switching routers. I have been wanting to upgrade to N, might be a good time now.
    Different router here (D-link DIR-655N), but same results: Extremely low battery life since the 1.3.5 update. I use the phone very little. I used to charge it every couple of days - now it dies just sitting there and needs to be charged DAILY!!

I have wifi turned on, but I use static IPs so no DHCP timeouts or renews here.

Hopefully they will have a fix soon as its frustrating to grab the phone and find that the battery is completely dead!

Separate but related - is there any way to know for sure that the phone is using my wifi connection when I'm surfing vs the EVDO?? Even though I'm home, have full bars on the wifi icon, my web pages come up insanely SLOW. I mean - slower than the old days of dial-up. I have a 5/20 cable connection here and everything else is blazing, but with the phone - it's almost as if it's not using wifi. How can I tell for sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumi View Post
    Different router here (D-link DIR-655N), but same results: Extremely low battery life since the 1.3.5 update. I use the phone very little. I used to charge it every couple of days - now it dies just sitting there and needs to be charged DAILY!!

I have wifi turned on, but I use static IPs so no DHCP timeouts or renews here.

Hopefully they will have a fix soon as its frustrating to grab the phone and find that the battery is completely dead!

Separate but related - is there any way to know for sure that the phone is using my wifi connection when I'm surfing vs the EVDO?? Even though I'm home, have full bars on the wifi icon, my web pages come up insanely SLOW. I mean - slower than the old days of dial-up. I have a 5/20 cable connection here and everything else is blazing, but with the phone - it's almost as if it's not using wifi. How can I tell for sure?
    Same router, same problem. I noticed it as soon as I got 1.3.5 since it died that day. I took the phone off from the hook 3 hours ago and I'm down to 68%. It's never done that before 1.3.5 where if I had wifi on it would drain maybe 20-30% the entire day.
    Those running the N-Routers, are you running in a mixed mode N/G?

If so, try running it in G mode only and see if you still get the same results. This isn't a fix as you'll want to use the N-mode for other devices, but at least you can narrow down causes for the battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Those running the N-Routers, are you running in a mixed mode N/G?

If so, try running it in G mode only and see if you still get the same results. This isn't a fix as you'll want to use the N-mode for other devices, but at least you can narrow down causes for the battery drain.
    One data point - I do not have the battery drain problem (thankfully!) and I use a router (Linksys WRT610N) with N/G mixed mode.

Dave
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm also running the DIR-655 router, but the battery continues to drain dramatically even when I'm not at home. So while there does seem to be some commonality between the routers doesn't it seem unlikely that the problem would persist even when not connected to that router?

For example, I'm at work right now and turned on WiFi earlier to see if by some miracle the issue would have gone away following last night's update. My battery began to drain immediately, but my DIR-655 isn't here at the office. Before 1.3.5 my battery would drain normally with WiFi on even at work.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumi View Post
    The signal strength bars should still be there as long as the phone is on. If you're on wifi you'll have that indicator and the square that says EV or 1x should disappear.
    mine seems to be +25% better overall... and it doesnt drain 50% overnight

this is by no means scientific measure, but i do main very *consistent* usage and it simply has more juice as the same points during the day
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Before 1.3.5 update my phone would work all day without needing a charge. I have email constantly doing a push/pull from Exchange. Now my phone is down to 20% by late afternoon. I just watched it drop 5% in about 10 minutes. This is happening with 2 of our Pre's. They are really starting to bum me out....
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Can one or more of you folks using push email profiles, humor me, and
    try switching it to a polling interval (15+ minutes) and see what happens to
    battery usage with Wifi turned on? With Battery monitor you can usually
    find out within 30-40 minutes on standby what the long term
    battery usage will look like.

I spent a 2+ hours in a different Wifi env today including some light
    browsing, and my battery usage was still very good. On pure standby,
    with no usage, I see 1-1.5%/hr drain. With medium light usage over the
    day it averages out to around 3%/hr. Both are improvements over 1.3.1.
    Again, that's GPS on, Wifi on (and 99% of the time in a Wifi env), screen
    brightness 19%, 2 polling email accounts, and a whole slew of patches,
    services and 40+ HB apps. Oh, and I specified the wrong router before.
    I have a Linksys WRT54G.

ian
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    1.3.5 solved my battery problems. My cube at work is in a Sprint black hole; I get 0-1 bars, and the phone will ring about 1/2 the time I get a call, but immediately hang up. Before 1.3.5, I would get the low-battery warning at about 4:30 in the afternoon every day. Now I can work until 7:30, with wifi on, & push email going, and I'll still have 30% or so left when I go home. When I'm elsewhere, I've also noticed that battery drain is reduced with 1.3.5. Sorry to hear that some of you are less happy...

For me, 1.3.5 is the release that brought webOS to what I would call "acceptable". I no longer get "too many cards", apps start up significantly faster, the calendar is actually usable, and the phone generally feels snappier. It's a pity they couldn't have rolled out the Pre with this back in June. Ahh well, at least I've got it now.
    Author of Keyring for webOS - Easy password management on your phone

Get Keyring :: Keyring website :: Keyring desktop client :: Keyring bugs :: Desktop client bugs

Like what I've done with Keyring? Hire me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ediggity View Post
    I have a Yahoo mail account. I removed it and readded it back after 1.3.5 because it wasn't giving me notifications consistently (even back in 1.3.1). When I added it back to the Pre, it would give me a notification that it was syncing my Facebook account (which I know is incorrect) and it was automatically set to check for 'mail as items arrive'. I changed it to manual and I would still get mail notifications automatically. I even deleted my Yahoo account and I still got email notifications. I have removed and added in my Yahoo account several times with the same results. I don't have many patches installed (<10). When I add my Gmail account which I don't use, it correctly says that it is syncing my gmail account and it was automatically set to check for mail every '15 mins'.
    I think I have solved my battery problems. When I added in my Yahoo mail account, it also automatically adds yahoo to messaging, contacts, and calendar. When I deleted the yahoo accounts off everything except for email, my battery seems to have gone back to the way it was before. Additionally, I have added the smartreflex 500 patch (as I had with 1.3.1) and everything seems to be fine now. On idle, I lose about 2% an hour, no wifi, bluetooth on but not connected.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Same thing happens if you just add Yahoo Messenger. It also adds
    Yahoo Mail, Contacts, and Calendar. Happened to a lot of people
    following the 1.3.1 release.

At that time it was determined that Yahoo Contacts was the major
    battery sucker and should be removed.

ian
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if this is a wpa2 vs. older encryption/open network issue.. I'm normally on my dlink n router using wpa2. I'm doing a test on an open network (no encryption).

Using wpa2, I was getting ~10-12% drain/hour.

Too early for the open network test, but will report back.

EDIT - my battery life seems to be ~2-3% drain/hour when connected to an open network (idle, but with two exchange accounts). So the problem is wifi w/ wpa2 encryption (or perhaps any encryption?) - makes sense since the cpu has to work more to decode the packets..

(note - the open network is one that's got mac filtering on - I have it around for my older legacy devices - so it was simple for me to do this test..)

-mark
    Last edited by diomark; 01/06/2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    mine too has seemed to lose battery life as well since update. I am going to to reduce brightness to see if that helps combat it a little. it barely made it 9 hours today.

Steven
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I deleted my yahoo contacts account and my battery life went from about 7 hours to 16+. Didn't touch WiFi at all or make a single other change.
    After tinkering around

WI-FI OFF: The battery has gotten significantly better without wifi. I'm talking less than 1-2% per hour. Absolutely outstanding with normal EV-data going.

WI-FI ON: The battery goes to complete and utter s***. 10-11% per hour (if not more). I have tried re-syncing my phone to my router, no change there. I do not use email on my phone nor do I have anything Yahoo related installed/running. I have deleted history to make sure there are no hidden outstanding messages.

My question is: With this new update was the Wi-fi switched to [always-on] (for things like push email without the device being on or in use.) or is it simply a glitch in the Wi-Fi where it's constantly searching for a network even though one is currently in use?
    I realize this has been discussed in other threads but I'd like to bring this issue to the forefront.

Prior to 1.3.5.1 I used to get 2 - 3 days of battery life with my phone just lying around the house doing nothing.

Now that I updated to 1.3.5.1 my phone can't even get through the night on a full charge.

To be clear.. Here is what I have enabled on my phone (both BEFORE and AFTER the update)
    - Bluetooth is on
    - Wifi is on
    - Data is on
    - Email is set to check MANUALLY
    - no apps are left running
    - I don't use twitter, facebook or gmail instant messaging
    - I only have one email account setup -- gmail

With these settings on 1.3.5.1 I am averaging 10 - 15% battery drain PER HOUR (and that's without doing anything on the phone !)

I can also confirm the there is NO WIFI traffic being generated as confirmed through my router logs.

When I turn off WIFI my battery drain is SUBSTANTIALLY reduced to the point where I am CONVINCED there is an issue with WIFI and WebOS 1.3.5(.1)

Lastly,
    Prior to upgrading to 1.3.5.1 I doctored my phone back to 1.3.1 to ensure a clean upgrade.

PALM,
    Please acknowledge and address this issue.

Thank you.
    Last edited by the.teejster; 01/06/2010 at 10:39 AM.
    I have absolutely no battery problems with using wifi on 1.3.5.1 maybe you have bad hardware. Or you need to doctor your phone then upgrade.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan