View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Those who are experiencing a draining battery, have you tried doctoring your pre?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Those who are experiencing a draining battery, have you tried doctoring your pre?
    I doctored mine, but the wifi drain persists. I also removed the two patches I had related to wifi, the SSID patch and download unthrottled. That didn't help either.
    I was trying to find more info on this problem and stumbled across this thread. My pre is 100% bone stock (currently) and my bettery life got cut in half. I have Wi-Fi on "on" and a yahoo e-mail address set up.

The Pre-Sprint thing is like having a super hot girlfriend that cheats on you.

Love my pre (when it was hacked besides the lack of visual voicemail), Love my plan, hate my coverage, Hate the consistent disapointments of sub par updates.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Mine is freshly doctored w/ 1.3.5
    -m
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    I doctored mine, but the wifi drain persists. I also removed the two patches I had related to wifi, the SSID patch and download unthrottled. That didn't help either.
    And after you doctored it, what did you add back on?
    Any push email accounts?
    Yahoo messenger (which brings in Yahoo Contacts)?
    Anything else that makes periodic checks in your HB apps?
    If you run JSTop do you see any non-standard services running all the time?

While the problem does seem to be Wifi related, Wifi being on
    doesn't always cause the problem. My Wifi is always on, and I'm
    seeing better battery life now than ever before. That makes me think it's
    a combination of Wifi being on, and some other app setting. Some apps
    actually behave differently when they're on Wifi versus EVDO
    (Pandora for instance, loads different bitrate maps).

The obvious difference in 1.3.5 is that it leaves the Wifi radio on
    when it sleeps, while all previous WebOS versions would shut Wifi off,
    which meant that background apps (email, contacts etc) had to use EVDO
    to fetch sync data. With Wifi always on, those background apps can use
    Wifi all the time (which is usually more efficient), but they may also
    be behaving differently because Wifi is on (more aggressive checking
    intervals, or loading large amount of data because it assumes it'll be faster).

BTW, I have seen that un-acknowledged alarm problem before,
    but it happened pre 1.3.5. If I just ignored an alarm, the notification
    would suck the battery dry quickly.

ian
    FYI my Yahoo e-mail setting was to check for mail "as it arrives". Could that be killing my battery so fast? I'll try it on "15 minutes" for a day or 2 and see how my battery life is.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I'm burning through ~10%/hour at the same locations/routine I used to use 5%/hour at.

I'll try doctoring sometime during the weekend. Just too busy this week to take the time.
    I'm normally in a cellular near dead spot during the day and before 1.3.5 - my battery would last maybe 3-4hrs. Since a couple of days after 1.3.5 update (letting it recalibrate!) ... it is a night and day difference - it will take a couple of more days to finish my test, but it is looking as if my battery life in this cellular challenged environment is as good as my battery life with excellent cell coverage.

Battery life has improved to the point that I'm carrying my phone with me all day rather than coming into the office and immediately putting it on the Touchstone. Way to go Palm!!
    Everyone who is having the battery drain problem with WiFi, can you please post the model of your WiFi router. I am guessing maybe the router is sending garbage packets to the Pre, which keeps it awake, killing the battery.

I have no drainage issues with my Pre having WiFi on 100% of the time. I have a D-Link DI-634M.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Mine seems to be the same, but I can tell a difference when my GPS is on, it drains my battery quickly, I downloaded the GPS toggle app from preware and I just toggle it on and off when I need it.
    I keep my GPS switch in the "off" position. If an app opens up that requires GPS, it automatically turns on GPS and then turns it off when the app closes.

I have no problems with my router: Ultraline Series 3 Model 9100EM
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 01/04/2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added a line
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    And after you doctored it, what did you add back on?
    Any push email accounts?
    Yahoo messenger (which brings in Yahoo Contacts)?
    Anything else that makes periodic checks in your HB apps?
    If you run JSTop do you see any non-standard services running all the time?

While the problem does seem to be Wifi related, Wifi being on
    doesn't always cause the problem. My Wifi is always on, and I'm
    seeing better battery life now than ever before. That makes me think it's
    a combination of Wifi being on, and some other app setting. Some apps
    actually behave differently when they're on Wifi versus EVDO
    (Pandora for instance, loads different bitrate maps).

The obvious difference in 1.3.5 is that it leaves the Wifi radio on
    when it sleeps, while all previous WebOS versions would shut Wifi off,
    which meant that background apps (email, contacts etc) had to use EVDO
    to fetch sync data. With Wifi always on, those background apps can use
    Wifi all the time (which is usually more efficient), but they may also
    be behaving differently because Wifi is on (more aggressive checking
    intervals, or loading large amount of data because it assumes it'll be faster).

BTW, I have seen that un-acknowledged alarm problem before,
    but it happened pre 1.3.5. If I just ignored an alarm, the notification
    would suck the battery dry quickly.

ian
    All apps and patches are the same as before 1.3.5. I have both gmail and yahoo get email "as they arrive".

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Everyone who is having the battery drain problem with WiFi, can you please post the model of your WiFi router. I am guessing maybe the router is sending garbage packets to the Pre, which keeps it awake, killing the battery.

I have no drainage issues with my Pre having WiFi on 100% of the time. I have a D-Link DI-634M.
    Netgear WPN824, same router as before 1.3.5. No previous issue with wifi and this router.
    I am having the same issue. Wifi off charge lasts me easily through the day, but I turn on the wifi and lose power fast.
    no wifi = 7 hours battery at 84%
    Wifi on for 3 hours battery now at 22%

I am on Sprint as well. Let's get it fixed Palm!!
    I see the exchange server issue got a fix right away - please address this one as well.

Netgear WPN824 v2

I tested the next day without WIFI on after 11 hours I was at 69%. Which is awesome - I really have seen better battery consumption running on EVDO since the update, but my wifi is killing battery life.

The poll really doesn't support my findings.
    I have stock Web OS and battery life got better with wifi off and got horrendous with wifi turned on. I used to be able to leave my wifi on all day (even though not always connected to a wifi signal) and was able to make it through the day, but now when i turn wifi on my battery will be dead within a few hours. With wifi turned off i can easily get through a day.
    Last edited by Hawkeyefan; 01/15/2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Adding router info - updated info - poll inforation
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsoby2112 View Post
    FYI my Yahoo e-mail setting was to check for mail "as it arrives". Could that be killing my battery so fast? I'll try it on "15 minutes" for a day or 2 and see how my battery life is.
    Yes, that's what we mean when we say "push email" and yes it
    can burn through your battery pretty quickly.
    I run 15 or 30 minute polling interval.

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    All apps and patches are the same as before 1.3.5. I have both gmail and yahoo get email "as they arrive".
    See above. Try using a polling interval instead of push profile.

And whether you added anything new or not, I still want to know
    if you see anything running in the background with JSTop
    for the reason I suggested. Some apps behave
    differently when they're on Wifi versus EVDO, and because 1.3.5 keeps
    Wifi radio on *all the time*, even an old app could be behaving
    differently now.

I don't think this problem is inherent to 1.3.5. I think it's an app
    interacting badly with the known changes in 1.3.5.

My router is a NetGear GS608

ian
    I have the same battery drain problem.
    - Email set to check manually.
    - Bluetooth on
    - Wifi on
    - Router = Netgear WPN824
    Battery drained 46% in 2.5 hours without any apps running while sitting on my desk.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    wow, what a huge difference in findings for everyone.
    Heres my "before and after" story

before:
    Stock batt, signal at work was not great. I was checking email every 1/2 hr or so and had GPS on and WIFI/BT off. I would get up at 6:30, and by noon I was at 30-40%.

What I did:
    Bought a 1350 seidio battery (amazing, does not get hot like stock one), installed 1.3.5, still have GPS on all the time. Updated network settings, then updated PRL. Now I have full bars at work. set email to pull every 2 hours. brightness is at 15% all the time.

Now by noon, I am maybe down to 70-80%. I never have wifi on all the time, btw.

I can say that 1350 battery, though only 23% bigger than the 1100mah battery - seems to have a higher "C" rating, thus it can handle the load better and not discard from over use. Who knows if thats that case, but I can tell you I have gained way more than 23% usage.
    Same problem here: significantly decreased battery life after upgrade to 1.3.5. Three, maybe four, Pres affected. Seems to be related to wifi. Router at home is a Netgear WPN824. Unfortunately, the same one mentioned by at least two others in this forum.
  18. jut
    I too have the Netgear WPN824 router at home and I'm having significant battery drain. I did some monitoring last night and with the wifi on I was getting about 17-20% drain, with it off i was getting 3-4% drain (nothing else running but the battery monitor......no calls, no texts, etc). At work we have a linksys WRT160 and yesterday I was getting about 1-2% drain. Nick made a good point, the router might be the culprit..... it seems to be the common element. I think I may have an old Linksys router at home and will try it out tonight.
    Had this problems too after the first few days with 1.3.5. Drain was always at about 10%/h.
    Now it's at only 2-3% without changing anything.
    If some of you are suspecting your wireless routers, you might try looking into the dhcp lease times. I know some routers default to a timeout of 30 minutes, which means a wireless client will try to renew the lease every 15 minutes after getting a lease. Unless you are running an Internet cafe, I would recommend a setting of at least 72 hours. You also might check if there is a setting about forwarding netbios broadcasts or if you have a "bridged" wireless network.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast