View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Do you have any IM programs running? I found AOL IM realy drains my battery quick. Also, I found that the update reset my screen brightness settings and Wifi never shuts off. That being said. Once I made the adjustments, my batter life has realy improved over 1.3.1.
    1st phone is the "problem child" it shows a % loss of 4.42 per hour.
    2nd shows 1.45% per hour.

The only difference between the two, is certain patches and (weird as it is) the 2nd phone still has WiFi enabled where phone 1 does not. hmmm

I have just changed the time to sync email on phone 1. Going to see if anything changes.

UPDATE: I have seen 4.7-5.9% loss all day, as I type this I am losing @ a rate of 8.1%.
    I have read further down this post, that someone "fixed" the calendar sync. I will try that next.
    Last edited by liv4rc51; 01/04/2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Perhaps it is the Wifi, I don't know. I have the same set up (patches etc.) now as I did before the update and my battery life has definatly decreased. I do keep Wifi on most of the time.
    To balance the posting I would like to point out that I have upgraded to 1.3.5. I have eight patches including the notification via LED when I miss a call or have a TXT message. I have WiFi on both at home, in the office and when I go out. I charge the Pre at night and use it as a night clock plus an Alarm to get me up in the morning. So fare I do not see any changes to the battery use from before to after the upgrade. I do TXT’ing, surf the Web, makes and receives calls, listen to audio books and I even sometimes connect to the Pre via Wifi to upload and download files.

The only real thing I have notice have changed after the upgrade is that I seems to have more signal bars; was 2 at home and is now 4.

One other item: Not so sure why we have no rounded corners in landscape viewing compared to portrait or before the upgrade. I happen to like the rounded corners, but I am not complaining, just making a point.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    My battery life seems to have increased. Have you installed any services or anything?
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    I have the same problem with the battery. I installed the update around christmas and every since my battery life has been hosed. I have fully discharged my battery several times (most of the time forceably by the life itself) and still the same problem. I was able to make it from 7:30 am to atleast around 10:00 pm on a charge before the update and still had a little battery left but now I am lucky to make it to 3:00 or 4:00 pm on a single charge
    delete your wifi settings then readd. Should fix things.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I too have noticed battery issues. With 1.3.1 my battery life had increased to over 24 hours. With the new update and no difference in my usage behavior it is now less then 6 hours. I have always used Wi-Fi, the original battery but have not yet installed pre-ware. I have tried a restart and have been forced to restart numerous times because of the poor life span. Any new fixes?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    How do you delete your settings in one shot? I have multiple sites saved as automatic?
    Battery life is still fine for me. Ever since the option was introduced an update or two ago, I generally keep the “Data Usage” option set to Off since I have wifi at work & home and that has been a HUGE help in improving my battery life since maintaining a wifi connection requires less power than maintaining a EVDO connection.

I wonder if the problem is actually with the frequency of email sync updates. I have most of my email accounts configured to sync manually or at most every 30 minutes. For those that are seeing worse battery life, I wonder if you have an account or two configured to sync more frequently. Perhaps that doesn’t play nice with the new feature of the wifi maintaining its connection when on standby. Just throwing out a guess to ponder.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Thank God for these forums. I have a launch day Pre and have had zero problems with it until this 1.3.5 update. The update has been great for fixing lag issues and such but battery life has been horrible.

Unfortunately I live in an area with only 1x service so switching off wifi is gonna be rather painful. I hope Palm fixes this issue soon.

In the meantime I'd make another recommendation: any other apps that run in the background such as Dealert and Pack 'n' Track should have their fetches switched to MANUAL so your Pre doesn't connect to the web more often than it should.

Thanks again, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    I had to delete & re-add the Wifi connection right after the update - but just thought that was because my home wifi is configured to not broadcast the SSID. But, maybe that is why my batter life has been just fine for me after the update - just thought that i would mention this just in case others that aren't having problems ended up re-adding their Wifi connections too after the update.
    I did a little more (very unscientific testing).
    I charged my phone fully and turned off wi-fi. Battery seemed to drain at a 'normal' (ie good) rate.
    Turned wifi on. Battery drained slightly faster, but nothing to be too concerned about. This was strange since my phone seems to always be dead by morning (I dont plug it in over night, only days).
    I noticed that I have calendar alarms set for early morning that I dont always get around to turning off.
    So I just set a calendar alarm event (google calendar) and have not dismissed it yet - battery seems to be draining much more quickly.
    Is anyone else that is having battery issues also using the calendar (syncing with google calendar) and not dismissing alarms/reminders?
    Just a thought - I will try some more things later today
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have a touchstone charger, and have found letting my battery charge during the night when I'm not using it helps. I used to do the same thing with my Treo 755 to be sure it was charged in the morning. Also I have noticed with the expended battery 1350 or 1400 the manufacturers recommend a full charge before using it, then use it until down to the warning or a little lower (whichever you fell comfortable with), and recharge it fully again. They say to do this for about five days and each time it will get closer to it's full potential. To top that off, about once a month run the battery down to nothing (Pre will not turn on) then fully charge it again. The only bad thing about this is you must connect directly to ac power using the charge cord. The Touchstone won't work until you get a charge built up on the battery. One other thing I do is the first charge on the battery for 12 hours. That way I know there is a complete charge on it. Sometimes charge indicators aren't that reliable. These are all things I have tried, and have seemed to help. The battery situation seems to be getting better, but is still the weak link with this unit. Hope this info is of help.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gitarooman View Post
    I did a little more (very unscientific testing).
    I charged my phone fully and turned off wi-fi. Battery seemed to drain at a 'normal' (ie good) rate.
    Turned wifi on. Battery drained slightly faster, but nothing to be too concerned about. This was strange since my phone seems to always be dead by morning (I dont plug it in over night, only days).
    I noticed that I have calendar alarms set for early morning that I dont always get around to turning off.
    So I just set a calendar alarm event (google calendar) and have not dismissed it yet - battery seems to be draining much more quickly.
    Is anyone else that is having battery issues also using the calendar (syncing with google calendar) and not dismissing alarms/reminders?
    Just a thought - I will try some more things later today
    I have had poor battery life since the update and definitely was having issues with notifications and calendar alarms. I fixed my calendar yesterday with the fix posted on Precentral and my battery has been back to normal today. Will do some battery monitor testing, but I was having incredible battery drain the past few days.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    I fixed my calendar yesterday with the fix posted on Precentral and my battery has been back to normal today.
    Which fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by dsarraf View Post
    Which fix?
    This is the post Gaidal is talking about:

http://www.precentral.net/exchange-c...and-workaround

Just be patient when changing the date value. When I did it, my phone slowed down to a crawl - probably because it was going through my calendar looking for meeting reminders that were now past due. It might help if you change the year value to 2009 first. I changed the month value first so that the date was temporarily 12/3/2010 - before I could update the day & year values, the phone slowed to a crawl - probably trying to generate meeting reminder notifications for each meeting in my calendar that haven't been dismissed yet (pretty much every meeting on my calandar in 2010). If you change the year value first, that might prevent you running into the 5 minute freeze that I ran into.
    Last edited by efmw117; 01/04/2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    At my house, with wifi on under 1.3.5, I'm draining ~10-11%/hour.

Previously with 1.3.1 (wifi on), I was draining ~6%/hour.. so definite decrease
    -mark
    Following the 1.3.5 update, my battery life too has gone to crap. I noticed it the day after i downloaded the update. My alarms never went off, because my phone had died overnight and i was late to work. This perplexed me greatly. Following this incident i have been more closely monitoring my battery % and it drops off very rapidly now.

I do have homebrew apps and patches, however i have the exact same ones as i did before the update. Basically i removed everything i had to, did the update and then put all the stuff i wanted back on the phone.

I have had Wi-fi on 100% of the time set to connect to my home and work networks automatically.

Prior to the update, i had to charge my battery roughly every other day.
    Following the update, i am lucky if i get 12 hours usage on a single charge.
    My wife too has a pre and is experiencing the same problems since the 1.3.5 update.

I will try turning off the Wi-fi and see if this solves the problem. Having to turn the Wi-fi switch on and off is not a MAJOR issue, however it is an inconvenience that i hope get solved quickly.
    I have a Yahoo mail account. I removed it and readded it back after 1.3.5 because it wasn't giving me notifications consistently (even back in 1.3.1). When I added it back to the Pre, it would give me a notification that it was syncing my Facebook account (which I know is incorrect) and it was automatically set to check for 'mail as items arrive'. I changed it to manual and I would still get mail notifications automatically. I even deleted my Yahoo account and I still got email notifications. I have removed and added in my Yahoo account several times with the same results. I don't have many patches installed (<10). When I add my Gmail account which I don't use, it correctly says that it is syncing my gmail account and it was automatically set to check for mail every '15 mins'.
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast