View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223
    Quote Originally Posted by vabchgirls View Post
    I'm not sure this is accurate...I have a Linksys with WEP, with stock battery and ever since 1.3.5.1 my battery life has been terrible. I was fully 100% charged this morning. Bluetooth for 20 mins, while driving to work, no calls, no wireless, auto email every hour, location services is on. By the time I got to work I was at 87%.
    Could be related to the actual wireless chipset used by the router. There are many chipsets used across multiple brands.

For example...

The Broadcom5352 (an a/b/g chipset) is used in certain Buffalo, Netgear and Belkin routers.

The Broadcom4704 (an n capable chipset) is used in certain Asus, Buffalo, Belkin, Netgear and Linksys routers.

Or maybe it is related to MIMO routers.
    i have tried everything because something changed for me in the last week causing an huge decrease in battery life, but i can't trace it.

1. removed all patches/theme. still horibble. 10%/hr
    2. partial erase, 10%/hr (patches or clean, doesn't matter)
    3. doctored, bone stock, nothing installed other than battery monitor, 10%/hr
    4. disabled wpa2 on my router and usage is still over 8%/hr, same phone scenario as #3

router is a dlink 655, and if i turn off my wifi usage drops to about 1.5%/hr

so i think you guys are onto something here, and in some cases it is caused by the encryption, i can't run unencrypted due to living in an apartment, so is there a solution?
    Last edited by flyboy1100; 01/23/2010 at 02:01 AM.
    I just posted about my 1.3.5.1 issues and how I "fixed" them

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ues-gmail.html
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Not new really new news though (IMAP and battery issues have come
    up before
    ), and not surprising. IMAP has to see every message in
    the Inbox on the server and syncs both ways. Perhaps I should have
    been more clear the *several* times I suggested switching to polling, but
    I meant using Gmail with a POP profile with a reasonable polling interval.
    I've had Gmail set up that way from the beginning and never had any problems.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 01/23/2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
    i have tried everything because something changed for me in the last week causing an huge decrease in battery life, but i can't trace it.

1. removed all patches/theme. still horibble. 10%/hr
    2. partial erase, 10%/hr (patches or clean, doesn't matter)
    3. doctored, bone stock, nothing installed other than battery monitor, 10%/hr
    4. disabled wpa2 on my router and usage is still over 8%/hr, same phone scenario as #3

router is a dlink 655, and if i turn off my wifi usage drops to about 1.5%/hr

so i think you guys are onto something here, and in some cases it is caused by the encryption, i can't run unencrypted due to living in an apartment, so is there a solution?
    Well I'm still running unencrypted but I've done two things
    1. two tier system (inner network on a separate router that is connected to main router). Inner router runs WPA2 and computers on this network share files.

2. Outer network was WEP now unencrypted. I did turn on MAC address filtering to ONLY allow my palm pre in. MAC Address filtering provides at least some basic protection...for now.

DSL --- Router 1 ----> Router 2
    ..............|....................| | | |
    .........PRE (wifi) ............Computer A,B,C,D (WPA2)
    any fixes yet other than just turning off wifi? Been off the charger now for 10 hours, sent 10 txts and browsed the web for probably 30 to 40 min, battery still @ 80%. I only turned wifi on for the web otherwise it has been disaled. If I left it on all day my phome woulld be dead now
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    A proper Rf sniffer doesn't have to be connected to your network to see the
    contents of the traffic. You're broadcasting it unencrypted all over the
    neighborhood. Sorta like thinking your privacy is protected
    by locking the front door, but leaving the living room blinds open.
    Nobody has to be able to get in, they can see in just fine.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    A proper Rf sniffer doesn't have to be connected to your network to see the
    contents of the traffic. You're broadcasting it unencrypted all over the
    neighborhood. Sorta like thinking your privacy is protected
    by locking the front door, but leaving the living room blinds open.
    Nobody has to be able to get in, they can see in just fine.

ian
    yeah - I'm really waiting for Palm to fix this. I don't intend this to be a long term soln, just a short term fix. I live in a good neighborhood where the houses are far apart. I only do my secure banking etc on the WPA2 enabled inner network. The problem is I can't get any kinda data connection in this area w/o Wi-fi (mountainy area)

Hopefully next version of webOS will address this....
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumi View Post
    Well, this is embarrassing - but hopefully of some help.

I went ahead and shutdown, popped the battery out, let it sit for about 10 mins - put everything back together, powered up and set it to charge overnight.

Took it off the charger at 9a this morning and now at 7p I'm still at 87% !!!

That's with some light texting, about 5 - 10 mins of surfing, wifi on, bt on - and one short (few mins) call today. Stock Pre w/ some catalog apps.

That's my typical daily usage - but prior to popping the battery (i had just restarted before) it was draining every day.

I see that someone else here popped the battery but is still having battery drain. It seems to have at least fixed it for me and I'm back to normal. Go figure.
    So, I'm back... My battery issues WERE resolved via the above until about a week and half ago. While waiting at the movie theater I decided to check out some of the new "3d gaming graphics" and installed Scrabble and Let's Golf.

Now, I wouldn't think that those could possibly affect my battery life by just having them installed (*not* playing them - just having installed them), but, my battery life is back to being crap again - usually dying EVERY day - and that's with NO USAGE whatsoever (I don't use my phone much at all). IF I do text or take a call or two it drops even faster.

Seeing as the above worked initially, I tried that again - shutdown, pop the battery out, let it sit, fire it back up - this time it's *NOT* working. I've tried it multiple times and my battery life remains crap (compared to how it was before this latest WebOS update).

Again, I have a stock phone - no patches etc, I don't use it to check e-mail, although i *do* have one pop account entered into it - it is set to "manual" for get mail - and the ONLY change was installing Scrabble and Let's Golf.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223