View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    @Diomark - I see you stumbled upon this too - any headway into WHY turning off encryption works? (I discounted this earlier as I didn't see how encryption could waste battery life - others if you are reading this, this actually DOES work!). If you live in the suburbs and have minimal risk of anyone hacking your AP this might work for you (o/w turn off wi-fi). I use a sep. router for my internal subnet (inner perimeter) that has WEP2 always on. Routers are cheap these days, so having 2 routers is doable.

But PALM, what's going on here?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I was using WEP and my battery life was fine.
    Switched to WPA and my battery life is fine.

I don't think encryption on or off is really the cause, just part of
    whatever combination of factors which causes something on
    the network to keep the Pre awake all the time when it's on Wifi.
    Linksys WRT54G here. Most folks reporting problems since 1.3.5 have
    had Netgear or Dlink routers.

ian
    just wondering if this was normal.....

I have a 10%/minute drain from only browsing the web (using EVDO). Like I can look at my phone at 4:15 and it'll be 100% and then check at like 4:25 and it'll be down to 90%; is this normal? I have gmail to auto update, screen brightness set to half way, messaging is set to offline, and that's is really it. The thing is, when I change my settings to what everyone recommends (low brightness and everything else) my drain remains the same. It has been this way with the 7 Pre's I've had. I also have GPS auto locate and everything set to off. The GPS AND google service is checked in the drop-down menu, but the auto locate and everything are set to off.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 01/19/2010 at 03:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I was using WEP and my battery life was fine.
    Switched to WPA and my battery life is fine.

I don't think encryption on or off is really the cause, just part of
    whatever combination of factors which causes something on
    the network to keep the Pre awake all the time when it's on Wifi.
    Linksys WRT54G here. Most folks reporting problems since 1.3.5 have
    had Netgear or Dlink routers.

ian

I think you're right. Working hypothesis might be:

DLINK/NETGEAR + WEP/WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION = BAD Battery life
    DLINK/NETGEAR + NO ENCRYPTION = GOOD Battery life
    LINKSYS and others + WEP/WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION = GOOD Battery life

That's why not everyone is getting this complaint. I might be in the market for a cheap linksys router?!
  5. jut
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post

That's why not everyone is getting this complaint. I might be in the market for a cheap linksys router?!
    This hypothesis doesnt work for me. i have netgear at home and turned encryption off (also tried diff encryption)....still major battery drain
    Quote Originally Posted by mborella View Post
    Just FYI, I'm one of the people who had good battery life on 1.3.5 and poor battery life since "upgrading" to 1.3.5.1.

I ran a test this weekend:
    1x/EVDO on and Wifi off: battery drains 8-10% per hour
    1x/EVDO off and Wifi on: battery drains 3% per hour

I also tried 1xEVDO with EAS disabled, and still got 8-10% per hour drain.

I've also notice (and this may be anecdotal) that my phone hands off between 1x and EVDO a lot more on 1.3.5.1 than it did on 1.3.5. Perhaps the RF overhead messaging associated with cellular networks is being handled poorly in 1.3.5.1?
    Another FYI, whenever I lose Sprint coverage (e.g., deep in a building or a tunnel), the Pre gets hot and drains the battery very rapidly.

To an extent, this is normal for cell phones, but 1.3.5 did not do this to the degree that I'm seeing it on 1.3.5.1.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Since 1.3.5.1 my home WiFi drains @ 15-20%/hr. When I used Panera's WiFi I got normal drainage which tells me it is not a general Pre WiFi issue. It should mean 1 of 2 things; encrypted WiFi is the culprit or 1.3.5.1 has issues with certain routers. There is a post talking about certain routers causing WiFi drain. Mine happens to be the main one in the thread; Netgear WPN824.

I have one more thing to try this week to possibly narrowing it down. My router is encrypted and Panera's is not. I am going to try a neighbor's encrypted router and see what happens then.
    *UPDATE* Turned off WEP encryption like @jut and still having battery drain so it is looking like it may be a Netgear issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    *UPDATE* Turned off WEP encryption like @jut and still having battery drain so it is looking like it may be a Netgear issue.
    New hypothesis

NETGEAR + 1.3.5 = you're just out of luck
    DLINK + 1.3.5 + WEP/WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION = BAD Battery life
    DLINK + 1.3.5 + NO ENCRYPTION = GOOD Battery life
    LINKSYS and others + 1.3.5 + WEP/WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION = GOOD Battery life

*** Turning off encyrption has helped me. I listened to pandora for 20 minutes, sent a few texts, received 20+ push emails, and received a half-dozen texts and 3 hrs later I'm still at 76% (which is good for me). Normally I'm at this level but I have to charge in the car during my 30-min commute.
  9. jut
    New hypothesis

NETGEAR + 1.3.5 = you're just out of luck
    DLINK + 1.3.5 + WEP/WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION = BAD Battery life
    DLINK + 1.3.5 + NO ENCRYPTION = GOOD Battery life
    LINKSYS and others + 1.3.5 + WEP/WPA/WPA2 ENCRYPTION = GOOD Battery life

*** Turning off encyrption has helped me. I listened to pandora for 20 minutes, sent a few texts, received 20+ push emails, and received a half-dozen texts and 3 hrs later I'm still at 76% (which is good for me). Normally I'm at this level but I have to charge in the car during my 30-min commute.
    thats what it looks like. when we were doing testing wks ago thats what most of the results were. i could never figure out why netgear was so much of a problem.
    Yea my battery life took a dump since the latest update. No change in usage. Tomorrow i will turn wifi off complete and see how that goes.
    i'm not finding the encryption hypothesis to hold much water for my situation.

interestingly, i uninstalled the "battery & % white" patch on a whim (as was suggested earlier in the thread) and am seeing a slight improvement in battery life.

however, i noticed supremely excellent battery life (UNDER 1%/hr drain!!) over lunch, maybe it was just a fluke. (was out to eat, had wifi on but no network to connect to, and a decent sprint signal. shocked the hell out of me because it's so out of the norm!) otherwise i'm still seeing significant battery drain with and without wifi enabled.

@ home, wifi on, battery life is WORST. we have a linksys/cisco router with encryption. we refuse to turn encryption off - we work in IT and know too many horror stories. not to mention we don't feel like hosting the entire neighborhood on our network.

@ work, wifi on, battery life is better. don't know why, because the encryption is even tougher here. (requires authentication via a web browser window.) no sprint signal here, so it's usually searching for a network. (can't even roam, i'm on the "terrace level" - aka partially underground - of a concrete & steel university library with no signal boosters anywhere.)

@ work, wifi OFF, battery drain is somewhere between the other two scenarios.

the only way i ever manage to preserve battery life is to put it in airplane mode. and as i asked before, what's the point of having a phone in airplane mode most of the time when it has amazing features designed to be used? to reiterate, battery drain *improved* for me after updating to 1.3.5, then tanked again after updating to 1.3.5.1.

is there anything else i should do to troubleshoot? do i need to try the netstat thing @daemon was talking about earlier in the thread?
    I'm still at 35% right now (17:00) - phone was last charged 07:00. One phone call, lots of email pushed and a dozen or two dozen texts and some light web surfing. Now gonna turn Wi-fi on and see what happens (unencrypted) - yeah scary, I know I live in a decent neighborhood but I'm not too thrilled about this idea long-term either.

UPDATE at 2100: 0% pre now shows battery symbol. So it went 14 hrs on a single charge with unencrypted Wi-fi for a few hrs in the evening and an 1hr in the morning. Most of the day wi-fi was turned off. That's about the best I've ever seen from the Pre. SO my battery life is same as it was before 1.3.5 except that I am using unencrypted wi-fi
    There seems to be two distinct battery problems with 1.3.5.1.

This first is related to some Wifi configurations. I have not experienced this problem, but I think it is reasonably well documented in other posts on this thread.

The second is related to Sprint's CDMA network. 1.3.5.1, for me at least, burns battery at an incredible rate when CDMA coverage is poor. I've tested this multiple times now. The phone gets hot and battery drops when the CDMA signal is weak or lost. If I'm in airplane mode, I get very good battery life.

I hope someone from Sprint or Palm reads this and can comment or work towards fixing these problems.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The second is related to Sprint's CDMA network. 1.3.5.1, for me at least, burns battery at an incredible rate when CDMA coverage is poor. I've tested this multiple times now. The phone gets hot and battery drops when the CDMA signal is weak or lost. If I'm in airplane mode, I get very good battery life.
    I've always had that problem. Had it long before 1.3.5 and even on my
    old Treo. In areas where it's constantly switching between Sprint
    and roaming, it burns through battery quickly. I've also seen it where
    I'm remote mountain areas where it shows 4 bars of Sprint because
    the phone can hear the tower but the phone just doesn't have the
    power for the tower to hear the phone. Can pull the battery
    down to nothing in less than 2 hours. The best solution I've found to this
    problem is to force it to Roam when I'm in poor Sprint coverage areas.
    Often that will bring the battery usage back to normal and I even get
    usable 1x data.

BTW, with Wifi on (encrypted) and GPS off (had been previously leaving GPS on mostly)
    yesterday the Pre's battery dropped from 100% to 72% after 22 hours of standby
    (plus a few minutes of light browsing and several inbound emails).
    That's 1.27% per hr drain. 1.3.5 rocks for me. Wish we could figure out
    how to fix it for those having problems with it.

ian
    OK, I've done some more testing and here are the results. All of these were done with EAS on, BT off.

CDMA on / WIFI off, GMAIL on = rapid battery drain
    CDMA on / WIFI off, GMAIL off = normal battery drain
    CDMA off / WIFI on, GMAIL on = normal battery drain

In other words, GMAIL works fine when CDMA is off, and CDMA works fine when GMAIL is off, but there seems to be some interaction between CDMA and GMAIL that is causing, on my phone at least, rapid battery drain.

I've rebooted, popped batteries and performed a partial erase, but none of those actions have helped.

Once more, I'd like to note that I only have seen this problem on 1.3.5.1, and did not see the same problem on 1.3.5 or earlier releases.

BTW, since GMAIL uses IMAP, this problem could be an IMAP issue rather than a GMAIL issue.
    I've always had that problem. Had it long before 1.3.5 and even on my
    old Treo. In areas where it's constantly switching between Sprint
    and roaming, it burns through battery quickly. I've also seen it where
    I'm remote mountain areas where it shows 4 bars of Sprint because
    the phone can hear the tower but the phone just doesn't have the
    power for the tower to hear the phone. Can pull the battery
    down to nothing in less than 2 hours. The best solution I've found to this
    problem is to force it to Roam when I'm in poor Sprint coverage areas.
    Often that will bring the battery usage back to normal and I even get
    usable 1x data.

BTW, with Wifi on (encrypted) and GPS off (had been previously leaving GPS on mostly)
    yesterday the Pre's battery dropped from 100% to 72% after 22 hours of standby
    (plus a few minutes of light browsing and several inbound emails).
    That's 1.27% per hr drain. 1.3.5 rocks for me. Wish we could figure out
    how to fix it for those having problems with it.

ian
    Agreed, however, this problem did not occur to this degree with 1.3.5. Only after upgrading to 1.3.5.1 was it noticeable.
    OK, I've done some more testing and here are the results. All of these were done with EAS on, BT off.

CDMA on / WIFI off, GMAIL on = rapid battery drain
    CDMA on / WIFI off, GMAIL off = normal battery drain
    CDMA off / WIFI on, GMAIL on = normal battery drain

In other words, GMAIL works fine when CDMA is off, and CDMA works fine when GMAIL is off, but there seems to be some interaction between CDMA and GMAIL that is causing, on my phone at least, rapid battery drain.

I've rebooted, popped batteries and performed a partial erase, but none of those actions have helped.

Once more, I'd like to note that I only have seen this problem on 1.3.5.1, and did not see the same problem on 1.3.5 or earlier releases.

BTW, since GMAIL uses IMAP, this problem could be an IMAP issue rather than a GMAIL issue.
    For those playing at home, normal battery drain is 3% per hour and rapid battery drain is about 8-12% per hour.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    So try switching gmail to polling instead of IMAP.
    Push email profiles have always been a factor in high battery drain,
    and that's been true for many people long before 1.3.5x.

ian
    So try switching gmail to polling instead of IMAP.
    Push email profiles have always been a factor in high battery drain,
    and that's been true for many people long before 1.3.5x.

ian
    I was using polling. And once again, I did not experience this problem in 1.3.5, in materialized in 1.3.5.1.

I'm not sure this is accurate...I have a Linksys with WEP, with stock battery and ever since 1.3.5.1 my battery life has been terrible. I was fully 100% charged this morning. Bluetooth for 20 mins, while driving to work, no calls, no wireless, auto email every hour, location services is on. By the time I got to work I was at 87%.