View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
    just a question, if I took my pre off the charger at 845am and now its 930pm and I have 50% left with light usage.... is this good or bad. I am coming off a iphone 3gs getting about a day and a half with normal usage. This is what I expect with my pre. Is this to much to ask?
    that's really great - what type of usage?
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I don't think that the Pre receives any garbage, it is just the broadcasts from the router. How much battery drain do you get with WiFi on? After changing the router WiFi settings (Beacon 200ms - DTIM 40) I have 3-4% battery drain with WiFi on. Before it was about 10%
    When the Pre goes to standby, WiFi goes to Power Save mode (instead of turning off) and that is why we see decreased battery life with WiFi on.
    OK just changed

Beacon 100 --> 200
    DTIM 1 --> 40

The defaults were as above on this Dlink DIR-628. Let's see if it gets better.
    I can typically get about 12hrs out of my phone. My usage typically consist of surfing the web, watching youtube videos, and listening to dr. podder. I have wifi at work/home so I rarely use EVDO data.

Side note: (coming from iphone) I just figured out that the Ev icon glows white when it's pulling down data ...yeah I'm a dummy.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Yep, It has happened to me couple of times since 1.3.5 update. I have a standard Palm Pre battery, gets the 20% battery warning. Seconds later, I get my normal reading of around 80%.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    OK just changed

Beacon 100 --> 200
    DTIM 1 --> 40

The defaults were as above on this Dlink DIR-628. Let's see if it gets better.
    UPDATE : doesn't look that that helped. I'm down to 62-->28% without much usage in the last 2.5 hrs. About a 10-15% drain still w/ wifi...
    Guys,

Anyone who have the "battery as %" patch(s) should remove it, not only my battery drained much faster but i had problems charging my phone.

Just an FYI
    Let me chime in here. I have the Mugen 3800MaH extended battery. I have a lot of patches and have some heavy themes. I never use WiFi because I live in NYC and Sprint EDVO coverage here is outstanding. Prior to the 1.3.5 update, battery life was about three days with moderate usage. I'd take my Pre off the charger at about 7:45AM and I would notice my battery level at 88% (when the battery bar goes from green to gray) between 2:30-3:30 PM. By the time I get home at 6:30, my battery would be down to the low 80's. With this new update, I sometimes I notice my battery going down to 88% between 11AM-12:30PM. Other times it remains about the same. But I have to say that the faster drainage has been an issue since the update. So, my battery life seems worse.
    I have a stock battery and a few bits of homebrew (not tried doom/quake...) and since the last update I have had a small increase. Even though I'm probably utilising the card view more than before, still trying to get used to the fact that I can leave apps open.

I'm probably what you'd call a "light" user, 2-8 calls per day, maybe an hour on the web/Youtube, several e-mails and listen to the odd music track. I'm still having to charge at least once per day though normally by about 9-10 pm I stick it on charge.
    UPDATE : doesn't look that that helped. I'm down to 62-->28% without much usage in the last 2.5 hrs. About a 10-15% drain still w/ wifi...
    what's light usage
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    what's light usage
    Wifi was on and checked twitter maybe twice and facebook twice. No phone calls or texts. That didn't seem to do it for me. And Wi-fi performance became sucky/slow. Gonna now try:

Beacon 100 --> 200
    DTIM 1 --> 3
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Guys,

Anyone who have the "battery as %" patch(s) should remove it, not only my battery drained much faster but i had problems charging my phone.

Just an FYI
    I'm noticing improvements after removing this patch. I'm keeping my patches to a minimum anyway. I used to drop from 10% to simply off with this patch on. Now I've been at 15% and now finally down to 0% and still holding but that's been over 3 hrs with decently heavy use but NO wifi ofcourse.
    Wifi was on and checked twitter maybe twice and facebook twice. No phone calls or texts. That didn't seem to do it for me. And Wi-fi performance became sucky/slow. Gonna now try:

Beacon 100 --> 200
    DTIM 1 --> 3
    Had to go back to Default Beacon (100) and DTIM 1 o/w couldn't get Pandora App to stream music
    Ok this is just pathetic:

0700: Wakeup 100% (from touchstone)

0700: WI-fi On
    (use to surf the web x 20 minutes, and one phone call)

1100: 35% battery
    Just FYI, I'm one of the people who had good battery life on 1.3.5 and poor battery life since "upgrading" to 1.3.5.1.

I ran a test this weekend:
    1x/EVDO on and Wifi off: battery drains 8-10% per hour
    1x/EVDO off and Wifi on: battery drains 3% per hour

I also tried 1xEVDO with EAS disabled, and still got 8-10% per hour drain.

I've also notice (and this may be anecdotal) that my phone hands off between 1x and EVDO a lot more on 1.3.5.1 than it did on 1.3.5. Perhaps the RF overhead messaging associated with cellular networks is being handled poorly in 1.3.5.1?
    Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

This also applies when you are swapping batterys. The phone keeps track of your batterys percentage by a combination of its amps in, amps used, voltage and its recorded size of the battery at full charge. So if you put a bigger battery in there is no way to tall its a larger mah battery unless the phone just charged it. You can not read voltage on a battery and say oh this is a 2600mah. The phone has no idea.
    also there are apps with memory leaks on webos. If your battery is dieing fast start shutting down your phone and pulling the battery once in a while. I've noticed if i run trapster it will kill my battery even after i close it. Start restarting your phones and pulling the battery once in a while. Some apps need to be fixed.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I agree with mborella i had really decent battery life with 1.3.5 but i noticed ever since 1.3.5.1 the battery level bounces around and drains ridiculously fast, i can pull my pre off the charger in the morning at 100% and just after checking preware and the app catalog it will drop to 80-85% its insane. On average my phone will only last from 5:30am and by 11-12:00pm its under 10%, i really hope palm figures out something to do.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Since 1.3.5.1 my home WiFi drains @ 15-20%/hr. When I used Panera's WiFi I got normal drainage which tells me it is not a general Pre WiFi issue. It should mean 1 of 2 things; encrypted WiFi is the culprit or 1.3.5.1 has issues with certain routers. There is a post talking about certain routers causing WiFi drain. Mine happens to be the main one in the thread; Netgear WPN824.

I have one more thing to try this week to possibly narrowing it down. My router is encrypted and Panera's is not. I am going to try a neighbor's encrypted router and see what happens then.
    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Since 1.3.5.1 my home WiFi drains @ 15-20%/hr. When I used Panera's WiFi I got normal drainage which tells me it is not a general Pre WiFi issue. It should mean 1 of 2 things; encrypted WiFi is the culprit or 1.3.5.1 has issues with certain routers. There is a post talking about certain routers causing WiFi drain. Mine happens to be the main one in the thread; Netgear WPN824.

I have one more thing to try this week to possibly narrowing it down. My router is encrypted and Panera's is not. I am going to try a neighbor's encrypted router and see what happens then.
    @sciteach hmm - gonna try unencrypted wi-fi for a bit and see if that narrows it down. You might be on to something

@bigwood212 - I get full discharges every day down to the battery symbol. I suspect most do here. But I here your point about battery swapping. I tend to avoid that using an external battery pack (the fueltank from callpod works great for this).
    @sciteach hmm - gonna try unencrypted wi-fi for a bit and see if that narrows it down. You might be on to something

@bigwood212 - I get full discharges every day down to the battery symbol. I suspect most do here. But I here your point about battery swapping. I tend to avoid that using an external battery pack (the fueltank from callpod works great for this).
    WOW!! turning wep and wpa and using unencrypted wi-fi helps a LOT...now ony dropping 4% an hr!!! SO how would turning off encryption help? for now this will work but isnt a great long term fix. (i use a sep. wpa router for my home network subnet so that is still secure). Palm??

model = Dlink 628 router.