View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robbys22 View Post
    UPDATE YOUR PRL!!
    i did update my PRL - after the 1.3.5 update. battery life got better.

but then 1.3.5.1 made it worse.

incidentally, i can't really vote in the poll, because none of those options fit my situation.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    UPDATE YOUR PRL!!!
    Here's the thing that puzzles me about the proposed PRL update solution.
    It's the "Preferred Roaming List" and it only keeps track of which carrier's
    towers to connect to when the phone is forced to roam. Unless you're in
    extremely poor coverage area and roaming on and off, or constantly,
    updating the PRL should have absolutely no effect at all on your battery life.

As for the Wifi issue. It's clear that some have it, and others don't,
    and from our research it looks like in some cases it's tied to the particular
    Wifi router that the phone is using. Jut only has high drain on
    his home Wifi network, but notat work. Our tests show that during the
    high drain periods the phone is pretty much waking up every second or two
    constantly. Hopefully we've narrowed it down enough that someone
    at Sprint can replicate the problem and figure out how to fix it.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 01/12/2010 at 04:04 PM.
  3. jut
    Much thanks to ian for ideas and helping me narrow down the problem. im not giving up til i find out exactly what the deal is with those certain routers.
    Here's the thing that puzzles me about the proposed PRL update solution.
    It's the "Preferred Roaming List" and it only keeps track of which carrier's
    towers to connect to when the phone is forced to roam. Unless you're in
    extremely poor coverage area and roaming on and off, or constantly,
    updating the PRL should have absolutely no effect at all on your battery life.

ian[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your logic, I can tell you that in my specific experience, updating the PRL and the Network Settings made the difference for me. I did not change any other setting; add or remove any programs nor make any other changes than those two updates. For purposes of this discussion it should be noted that I NEVER use the wifi option. It has remained off since the day I got the phone.

Prior to 1.3.5.1, I would pull my phone off the charger at 7am and replace it at 11pm. Under the normal usage, I always would have 20% left at the end of the evening.

After 1.3.5.1, and again under my normal usage pattern, I've gotten the battery low warning around 3pm each day.

Yesterday, I did the PRL update and the Network Settings, powered off the phone, then powered it back up again. I noticed immediate improvement. Today, under much heavier usage than normal, I'm at 66%, which is by far the best battery life I've had so far.

Again, this is my personal experience, and some others may benefit from it as well. If there's one thing we've learned as Pre owners, there's sometimes the same problems, sometimes different problems, and sometimes hundreds of variations of a single problem. I think everyone appreciates finding as many possible options to try as you just never seem to know which one will stick on which phone. So the thing is about the PRL update is that it worked for me. I'm now enjoying the best battery life I've had since I got my Pre. And since I tried it from someone else's recommendation, I'm not alone.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I can tell you that in my specific experience, updating the PRL and the Network Settings made the difference for me.
    And I'm a bit of a stickler for trying to attribute things to the right cause
    as there are an awful lot of mis-attributed symptoms around here.
    Chances are that the improvement has to do with updating the
    Network Settings rather than the PRL, and it wouldn't surprise me
    if most people who recommend doing the latter, have also done
    the former.

I try to avoid changing 2, 3, 4 things at once, and then attributing a change in
    observed behavior to only one of them.

ian
    I recently replaced my phone. The only thing I did was update it from 1.1 (or something like that) to 1.3.5 and now my phone is sucking battery juice like there's no tomorrow.

-Screen brightness is set to about 30%
    -BT is off
    -Wifi is on
    -Email is set to get every 15 min
    -2-3 cards left open

I'm losing about 8-12% an hour in idle mode. Worse if I'm actually using it...text...FB. And that's using it lightly.

I thought 1.3.5 was supposed to improve battery performance.

I'm tempted to wipe it and start all over.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Al
    Last edited by algee650; 01/12/2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    How long ago did you update?
    Any time you update the firmware you need to give it at least 3-4 days
    and at least 2 full battery discharge/charge cycles to stabilize. Between
    totally wacky battery % values and occasional high drain
    I've seen this behavior after *every* update. If you keep wiping
    it and re-updating, you'll never get out of that phase.
    I've also had the occasional day where drain just goes through
    the roof, and the fix was to shut down and pop the battery, re-install,
    power up and charge fully, and then it's happy again. The latter
    is always worth a try for *anyone* having a high drain problem.

ian
    I have a stock Pre WebOS with no wifi, BT or push email installed. Brightness is low.

After 1.3.5 I had excellent battery life. I'd get 1.5 days easily with moderate usage.

After 1.3.5.1 I have had nothing but terrible battery life. 6-8 hours max. The phone often feels hot to the touch, indicating that the processor is doing something.

Nothing else changed.

I've tried several of the suggestions here (reboot, pop battery out and back in, update network settings and PRL), but to no avail.

I'm open to other ideas. Right now I'm thinking this is a serious bug in 1.3.5.1.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Same situation here. I have stock battery, no Homebrew/tweaks (yet, since I just got my phone replaced a few days ago and haven't had time to tweak).

1.3.5 I noticed improvement, but since 1.3.5.1 it's horrible. I pulled the phone off the charger last night and talked for 1 hour (no other apps open and in a great signal area) and when I was done it immediately beeped at me for the "20% left" message. I used to get way more talk time than that.

What's up? Suggestions?
    not me i have been doing good so far!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    @Daemon

I updated last Wednesday. I haven't wipe just yet. Maybe I'll give your battery popping out suggestion a try and see what happens.

At first I thought it was because I didn't do the in-between updates (from 1.1 to 1.3.5). But that doesn't make sense - doesn't 1.3.5 encompass all the previous updates?
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I have the Mugen 1400 and haven't really noticed any difference since the 1.3.5 update. At first I thought battery life wasn't as good but I think it's just about the same as before the update.

I haven't had the sudden drop/low battery message mentioned by the previous posters.
    Hey what type of battery usage do u get out of the 1400. Is it woth the money??
    After the update, I had a couple of bad power days, and a rare, phone gets hot for no reason days but lately, battery life has been slightly better than before.
    @ Daemon

i turned off wifi today to see if that would help my battery drain issues, and it doesn't seem to have made much difference. oddly enough, it seems my battery drain improved @ work - where i have no sprint signal. i didn't have to charge my phone at all during the day. but as soon as i walked out of my building, my drain spiked way up - more than double at first, then it came down a bit when i got home near the airave unit. i still have wifi off, and the battery got down to 5% by 8:30pm (10pm now) and i've been charging via usb cable (currently at 31% - so it's charging a lot slower too).

tomorrow i'm going to turn wifi back on & see how it impacts the battery drain. here at home the drain is about 16% on average, sometimes as low as 10%, or as high as 21-22%. at work the drain was averaging about 5-9%, depending on whether i had the messaging app open or not. that's literally the only app i used most of the day today. (i used tweed briefly this morning to check twitter, then closed it before i left home.)

i've tried power cycles, yanking the battery. the only thing i haven't done is web doctor - i don't really want to lose my messaging history. is there any other troubleshooting or testing i should be doing?

also, a question - if yahoo is such a huge power drain, can/will palm do anything to fix the problem? i've had yahoo enabled since nov 30 when i got the phone, and i did get almost 2 weeks of stellar battery performance after 1.3.5 with yahoo enabled. so i'm not understanding what is different.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Which part of Yahoo do you still have enabled?
    The bit that sucked everyone's battery down after 1.3.1 was Yahoo Contacts
    profile. Yahoo messenger, email and calendar seem ok.
    I only wanted Y!M and Mail so I deleted the profiles for the other two
    and it reduced battery drain significantly (that was back in 1.3.1),
    as was the case for many others.

ian
    Just out of curiosity does anyone think a partial or full erase will help?
    Quote Originally Posted by mborella View Post
    Just out of curiosity does anyone think a partial or full erase will help?
    For my battery drain issues with 1.3.5.1 of course...
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    wow, pretty much a crap shoot.

I'm getting much better battery life but don't know if it was after 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1. Running several homebrews and just added a couple patches (battery as %, add launcher page, video swipe delete) and no significant change. I normally keep location, WIFI and BT services off until I'm ready to use them but that's no different from my settings prior to 1.3.5.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    I my phone is sucking battery juice like there's no tomorrow.

I'm losing about 8-12% an hour in idle mode. Worse if I'm actually using it...text...FB. And that's using it lightly.

I thought 1.3.5 was supposed to improve battery performance.

I'm tempted to wipe it and start all over.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Al
    I had the same Battery prob the last two days and today get the clue, that it was the Patch "Battery as Percent at the top bar".
    After I removed it, the battery drain is at about 2 % an hour, w/o Push, 3G, WLAN or sth else.
    With the patch I had a drain of about 15 % an hour...

So I think you have to remove the Battery Patches and wait till they get updated...

Greetz from Germany ;-)
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I'm new to the Palm Pre (coming from an iPhone), updated my OS almost as soon as I got it. The battery life has been spuratic, I think it has to do with the signal. The stronger the signal, the longer the life, and vice versa. Overall I think the battery life is pretty bad especially compared with the iPhone (I had a jailbroken one that multitasked too)

I dont Multitask much either, I do not use my Pre for music/games because those will eat the battery even quicker. On the iPhone, I could get away with 3D gaming, and multitasking and get a full day out of the battery.