View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Storing in the fridge was about slowing down the internal discharge of the battery. In cold weather, this same slow down reduces the chemical energy in any battery technology. Lithium is affected less than others, but affected still.

This is where the "Cold Cranking Amps" of a car battery come into play. The battery chemistry means you get the least amount of power during the time when the engine takes the more torque to turn over due to the oil viscosity when it is really cold. Physics. It gets you everytime.
    This might just be one of the smartest posts I've ever read on this forum.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    honestly, it's probably not the battery. My pre lives with me in Edmonton, Alberta. We had a week straight of near -40 Celsius temperatures in december(by the way, -40 Celsius = -40 on your weird US scale :P). The battery is just fine. I mean, sure, if I left it outside overnight, it probably would kill the battery, but an hour of that should not kill the battery like that.
    I usually have wifi on. I will probably turn that off as well so I can try and figure out what's causing this
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Make sure you are signed out of any buddy lists. Those use up a crap ton of power.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post
    Sorry for starting another battery thread. The last 2-3 days my battery life has basically been cut in half. I left for a movie a few hours ago with plenty of battery left...just got home with a dead phone and I'm staring at a picture of a charging battery....waiting.

Of course I turned off all the location, GPS, etc... What do I do? Doctor it and start from scratch? Slowly introduce a patch or two at a time to try and pinpoint the problem? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    I attended the CES show. While I was there the battery lost power within an hour. I carried a second battery and the same thing happened. In general the battery on my pre is usually dead by 10:00 in the morning if I start at 7:00 am. It is very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Make sure you are signed out of any buddy lists. Those use up a crap ton of power.
    I did have it on actually. I have had it on before without this severe of battery loss. I will definitely kill that
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    honestly, it's probably not the battery. My pre lives with me in Edmonton, Alberta. We had a week straight of near -40 Celsius temperatures in december(by the way, -40 Celsius = -40 on your weird US scale :P). The battery is just fine. I mean, sure, if I left it outside overnight, it probably would kill the battery, but an hour of that should not kill the battery like that.
    I would agree with that as well. The worse thing that the cold weather does is lower the output voltage slightly. This looks like a more discharged battery. However the capacity is still there. For example, take a 80% battery and chill it. It might read as a 60% battery, but shouldn't discharge much faster.

My guess is that you had an app running in the background that didn't shut down. Doom and Quake do not kill themselves when you close them. I have to kill them with JSTop. This happens with other apps as well. You could have a process running in the background that quickly killed the battery.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I took mine snowboarding the other day, phone was in my coat pocket. went inside and mine said battery was at 0%. phone still worked though (for another couple hours till I charged it). when i plugged it in it started charging from 0. i would have thought it would have jumped up to whatever number at it heated up but that wasn't the case
    I'm from Edmonton originally and can confirm that a walk outside at 25F (-4C) will not effect your battery. Daytime highs in Edmonton rarely get above 25F during the winter months and most of my phones lasted for years. I have left my phone outside in the car during an Edmonton winter on more than one occasion and had no issues.....your going to need prolonged exposure (days or longer) at cold temperatures (actually cold, like -30C or something) to cause lasting damage.
    My battery loved the cold weather. It moved maybe 2% in the cold weather we had down here. Are you sure it wasn't your signal that was draining the battery?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  11. jut
    I finally got around to testing the netstat -s and what I found was when I ran netstat -s command while at home (wpn824 router) the results showed the phone would go to sleep then awake every second or 2. I ran the same test at work (linksys wrt160n) and the Pre only went to sleep once then awoke 5 mins later. Looks like Daemon had it spot on, the netgear router is transmitting something the Pre thinks it needs to listen to
    We went snow shoeing in the Utah backcountry with our PREs and even surfed the net for 10-15 minutes sitting in the snow. I'd say the outside temp was close to zero F and we didn't notice any adverse effects to battery life.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Just went snowboarding in the Poconos (about 20 degrees) and both my camera and my friends Pre saw accelerated power lose.

My Pre though did not.

Funny thing is, when they warmed up...both went back up...so I think its just a read error for lithium batteries in cold weather.
    So it's now 12:30 and my battery is at 46%. I have everything off (GPS, Location, Wifi, Instant Messaging)

This is bad. I don't know what to do
    There is no spoon
    UPDATE YOUR PRL!!!

I read somewhere in the forums that someone suggested updating your PRL so that it's at 60658. That seemed to get glossed over and buried, but I tried it last night and the difference is amazing.

I too saw greatly improved battery life after 1.3.5 only to see it squashed by 1.3.5.1. After updating the PRL, the battery life seems to be even better than with 1.3.5

The easy way to update the PRL is to open the phone application. Bring down the menu from the Sprint tab on the top left of the screen. In the menu, tap Preferences. Scroll to the bottom and tap Update PRL. While you're there it won't hurt to tap Update Network Settings either.

I don't know if it's necessary, but I did a full shut down of the phone and not a restart. Then after I powered it back up, the change was immediate.

This morning I pulled my phone off the charger at 7am. It's now 9:55am and under heavy, heavy usage this morning during that 3 hours, I've lost only 14%.

I hope you find this helpful.
    i posted in one of the other threads, but i've noticed weird battery usage over the last week.

got my pre on nov 30, and had sucky battery life at first. my office @ work is a cellular dead zone, so it was constantly searching for signal. we have wifi, but it requires authentication, so enabling wifi & having the phone go to sleep was no help. i had to charge usually by 2pm in order to avoid the phone going dead.

after the 1.3.5 update AND getting an airave at home (sucky signal in the house - would get voicemail notifications yet phone hadn't rung; calls dropped, etc) battery life improved a great deal. i also figured out dev mode and applied some patches, most notably the "cleanup event listeners" patch. i started getting SWEET battery life, take it off the charger around 8am, would still have between 30-40% battery left at midnight. was using wifi at home (we have a Cisco router) and doing things like texting, tweed (twitter), web use, playing games, etc. battery life was still even good at work, despite the lack of signal - i experimented with turning wifi on & off, adjusting roam prefs, turning phone on & off, airplane mode, etc, and i could get through a full workday and still have over 40% battery when i went home. (i generally work about 8:45am-5:30pm or so.) adjusted email acct settings, including setting gmail to push msgs, and still had great battery life.

then came 1.3.5.1. it had trouble installing on my phone - i ran EPR and tried to manually install the patch, looked like it finished, reinstalled patches, then got a message about the patch installing on next charge. i took a chance & didn't run EPR to let the update install, and didn't appear to have any problems. all apps running fine, etc.

but battery life has decreased significantly since this update. i was running it the same way - same apps, same usage, same connections - and the battery wasn't lasting anywhere near as long. this past saturday i went to a matinee movie with my mom, had at least 40% battery left, and during the 2hrs on the movie, it died completely.

i've been running battery monitor the last several days, and noticing that it's 10-14% battery drain for the same things i was doing pre-1.3.5.1, and in some cases i've been avoiding using the phone and it's still draining faster. i turned off wifi this morning coming into work, and i've seen the drain go from 5-8% ish, but we have cisco routers here too with very strong signal.

what i don't understand is why i have this phone capable of all this cool stuff, but i can't really use it because the battery keeps draining too fast. i want to see the same battery life daemon has. i've set all my email accts to "manual" only, not running any apps. doesn't that defeat the purpose of the phone? is there something i'm missing for troubleshooting?

ETA: sorry, this info ended up mostly duplicated since the threads got merged.
    Last edited by rklein8; 01/12/2010 at 09:26 PM.
    This thread combines the various threads of "My Battery Life is Better after 1.3.X" and "My Battery Life is Worse after 1.3.X".

Please take the pole and let us know where you stand after 1.3.X.

At this point about 66% state that they have better battery life and 33% say it is worse.

As others are noting, if you have no homebrew installed it is running 10:1 right now in favor of battery life improved.

- Craig
    UPDATE YOUR PRL!!

I too saw a alarming drop in battery life after the 1.3.5.1 update. Then, buried deep in the forums, I read that someone had suggested updating the PRL. This seemed to be glossed over by everyone else, but I gave it a try. Let me just say that I am now experienceing battery life greater than after the original 1.3.5 update!

This morning, I took my phone off the charger at 7am. At 9:55am and under heavy, heavy usage my phone stood at 86%. Prior to updating the PRL, this usage would have easily left me around 40%.

For those who don't know, the easiest way to update the PRL is to open the phone app, click on the Sprint menu on the top left. Tap preferences, scroll to the bottom and update your PRL. It wouldn't hurt to update your network settings in the box just above it either. After the update, your PRL should be 60658 (found under Device Info in the app menu).

I don't know if it's necessary, but after the update, I did a full shut down of the phone and not a simple restart. After powering back up, the battery improvement was immediately noticeable.

Good luck and hope this helps!
    For me it's clearly the wifi, with it on I get a drain around 5-7%/h, with wifi off its under 1%/h for most of the time.