View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Jumps from *what* to 7xx-8xx?
    When you do what? Turn Wifi on or off?
    Mine's running at 617. Do you have any App Launcher patches?

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Jumps from *what* to 7xx-8xx?
    When you do what? Turn Wifi on or off?
    Mine's running at 617. Do you have any App Launcher patches?

ian
    From a fresh boot it starts at the 700s and has gone to the 800s. It stays the same with wifi on or off, it doesn't matter. No app launcher patches. As I type this, it just jumped to 827 after opening the App Catalog.
    had some weird problems where my battery level drops to zero, but as soon as I place it on a touchstone it shoots back up to wherever it shoudl have been (like 60%) instantly. Not sure what is causing it as I have some patches installed, but I never had this happen before today.
    Quote Originally Posted by rklein8 View Post
    i've set the other 2 to "manual" for now; interestingly, i originally had 4 email accts all set to poll regularly (3 gmail plus a yahoo). i had better battery performance before i switched 2 of them to "manual." we'll see if the manual setting changes anything. i don't get that many messages on either acct, so i'm not convinced that's it.
    in the last few hours since i made sure all my email accts to "manual," the battery drain/hr has decreased very slightly, to about 8-9%/hour. so, not much help if you ask me. i'd prefer to see the 4-5% drain i was getting last week.
    Just went for a walk in 25 degree weather, (I live in Vail, CO) which took about 45 minutes. My Pre, fully charged, showed 4% on it's battery when I walked into the house. (The phone was in my jacket pocket) Anyone else ever have this happen? This is not a good thing in my book.
    Really? I've heard quite the opposite, that cold weather in fact prolongs the life of your battery. Maybe you're just having an unrelated glitch?
    Well, I've always heard that you should store batteries in the frig, too. I know my iPod Touch runs down quicker when I ski, but I've never had an electronic device lose power like this. So much for using it in an emergency (at least in the cold weather)
    Storing in the fridge was about slowing down the internal discharge of the battery. In cold weather, this same slow down reduces the chemical energy in any battery technology. Lithium is affected less than others, but affected still.

This is where the "Cold Cranking Amps" of a car battery come into play. The battery chemistry means you get the least amount of power during the time when the engine takes the more torque to turn over due to the oil viscosity when it is really cold. Physics. It gets you everytime.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    idk exactly what it is but i had a full charge, walked to work in 25 degree weather (NYC) for about 20 mins and the phone shut off and the low battery icon appeared. I pulled the battery, let it get warmer and put it back in. when i turned the phone on, the battery was back to full charge.
    maybe when its cold the phone things the battery has less juice than it really does. try soft resetting? like Rudementry i have heard that cold weather prolongs battery life.
    Sorry for starting another battery thread. The last 2-3 days my battery life has basically been cut in half. I left for a movie a few hours ago with plenty of battery left...just got home with a dead phone and I'm staring at a picture of a charging battery....waiting.

Of course I turned off all the location, GPS, etc... What do I do? Doctor it and start from scratch? Slowly introduce a patch or two at a time to try and pinpoint the problem? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by swazey View Post
    idk exactly what it is but i had a full charge, walked to work in 25 degree weather (NYC) for about 20 mins and the phone shut off and the low battery icon appeared. I pulled the battery, let it get warmer and put it back in. when i turned the phone on, the battery was back to full charge.
    maybe when its cold the phone things the battery has less juice than it really does. try soft resetting? like Rudementry i have heard that cold weather prolongs battery life.
    You probably got the system below it's normal operating temperature which impaired it's ability to properly read the battery.

Battery didn't lose any charge, your phone just couldn't tell.
    li-ion does not equal alkaline. Storing your standard duracell in the fridge is a good move. A Li-ion not so much, in fact freezing li-ion batteries can be bad for their long term health.
    oh if a lithium ion (pre) battery is cold do NOT charge it until you let it warm up a bit. Charging it "cold" puts strain on the battery.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Do you keep your calendar open? I thought I saw that somewhere and had that problem myself. I don't know if it's a memory leak in 1.3.5.1. or what but that's when I noticed it. I didn't open my calendar at all today and it was much better.
    it might be a network problem, when signal getting very weak, the phone consume huge amount of battery to search for network

you can post back if this happen again and often. otherwise, treat it like a fluke for now.
    Well, it didn't happen to my 3GS or my BB. (and I hated physics class)
    No, my phone could tell because... it's a 'smart phone'
    Quote Originally Posted by apzippy View Post
    Do you keep your calendar open? I thought I saw that somewhere and had that problem myself. I don't know if it's a memory leak in 1.3.5.1. or what but that's when I noticed it. I didn't open my calendar at all today and it was much better.
    I usually keep messaging and email open. But maybe I will try not leaving any open apps.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    it might be a network problem, when signal getting very weak, the phone consume huge amount of battery to search for network

you can post back if this happen again and often. otherwise, treat it like a fluke for now.
    You're probably right about it being a fluke. It'll probably work itself out. I'll give it another day or so before I set an appointment with the Doctor. I'll post back and let you know. Thanks
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've seen that quirk as well, but you don't need to put it on the charger.
    Just let it run for a minute or two, and it'll usually return to normal.
    I've even had it alert me to the low battery when it was indicating 0%
    and then go back to 70-80% after a minute. I do have one of the
    battery UI % patches though, so don't know if it is related.

ian
    My concern with this problem is this: Whether the battery is dead or not, the phone is reading it like it is. The phone shut itself down and wouldn't restart until I plugged it in. I live in Vail, CO, and do quite a bit of backcountry skiing. Although it's a remote and unlikely chance that I would get lost, if this phone acts up like it did tonight, I'm screwed.