View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Did you ever try shutting it down and popping the battery and re-installing?
    I've had a couple periods of crazy high battery drain before 1.3.5, and that
    was the only cure. A normal reboot wouldn't do it. I know this trick worked
    for at least one other person who had recent problems with 1.3.5 battery
    usage.

ian
    one big factor is origional battery or 3rd party battery.

my batter life sucked on 3rd party battery.
    amazing on palm battery.

maybe due to system reset. will test 3rd party battery again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Did you ever try shutting it down and popping the battery and re-installing?
    Yes, I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    one big factor is origional battery or 3rd party battery.
    I have two batteries. Both are Palm brand batteries. Neither exhibited this behavior under 1.3.1 & earlier. Now that I've doctored the phone, both are working as expected now.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Bump, in hopes that more people will see this and vote in the poll. Apologies if this is rude.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    PROBLEM FOR ME APPEARS TO BE SPECIFIC TO WIFI connected to my WPN824 Wireless Router !

I decided to pull out my Linksys WAP54G Wireless Accesspoint and connect to my homenetwork with it instead of the Netgear WPN824.

Please check out this thread for details :
    (Not sure why.. I can't link to it)
    hxxp://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/224083-1-3-5-1-battery-drain-when-connected-netgear-wpn824-wireless-router.html
    Last edited by the.teejster; 01/11/2010 at 10:12 AM.
    But as you can see from my post above, I was losing battery life vigorously in airplane mode, with both wifi and the radio off. There have to be multiple issues causing these problems, because wifi made no difference with my dramatic battery drain.
    Set your email to download when it comes that should help a little.

Other than that, you have a problem. I use my phone a lot more than that and my battery will last until at least 6:00 no problem.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I've resorted to turning my wifi on/off manually. My phone will drain at a 5% an hour rate with wifi on and only a 1% rate with wifi off when in standby.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bart001 View Post
    I've resorted to turning my wifi on/off manually. My phone will drain at a 5% an hour rate with wifi on and only a 1% rate with wifi off when in standby.
    Me, too. Although, honestly, I rarely actually need to use it. Since turning it off I've barely even missed it.
    Have you tried removing all patches? i.e battery %?? Try not to install anything on it after Dr. and see if you get the same result. Good luck, I've been there..

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I had major drain for a day or so after updating, then it seemed much better. This morning I was getting 19% drain with wifi on or off....and so I tried putting it in airplane mode and was getting approximately the same drain. In my case it clearly isn't related to wifi or low signal, but must be due to an app or memory leak. I'm recharging it now, then will pull the battery. I also am using a Centro battery and if there's no improvement will put the OEM Pre battery back in, although they have been behaving similarly until the update.

addendum: popped the battery, put in a Pre battery (which was at 97percent),put it in airplane mode, and am now getting 13 percent drain...in airplane mode. WTH?

Addendum 2:

I switched from using my Wifi connection from my Netgear WP824 wireless router (19% battery drain per hour and can continually ping the device) to a Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point (1% battery drain per hour and cannot ping device when phone is idle).

Problem solved for me !

Hopefully Palm's next update will resolve this bizarre battery drain issue.
    Update: went the whole weekend after that reboot with no odd effects. :\
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just tested the drain with my wifi on, but not connected, while in Standby. It only drained about 1%. That is about the same as having the wifi turned off for me. It is when I'm connected, where I get a 5 fold increase in power usage in Standby.
    my phone is also draining much faster the last few days. i'm not sure if the upgrade to 1.3.5.1 is what did it, but it's very odd. last week, before 1.3.5.1 it was getting pretty good life.

i got the phone nov 30, and upgraded to 1.3.2 the same day. when 1.3.5 came out i upgraded to that. then i started patching it but nothing crazy. 4x4 v3, battery & percent white, add mm/dd, add/delete pages, advanced phone menu, cleanup active listener, and some other minor ones. (i can list them if necessary.) noticed battery life was MUCH improved.

then last week was the 1.3.5.1 upgrade. i uninstalled all the patches, ran the upgrade. or at least *thought* i did. after i thought it was installed, i reinstalled all the patches. then it told me it would install the ugprade on the next charge... ***? so i ran the upgrade with patches installed, everything went fine. no problems using the phone.

except for the fact that battery life has been much worse since friday. it lost all charge on saturday while i was at a movie. drained really fast yesterday & so far today. i've been running battery monitor, and it's draining somewhere around 10-14% per hour. and that's with no apps left running! (i experimented w/ leaving messaging, calendar, & tweed running - no change.) my email has 5 accts linked, but only 2 set to "as they arrive," the other 3 are manual update (and i rarely check email via the pre - prefer to use my laptop for email).

i wish i could doctor it & not install the 1.3.5.1 update. i don't use an exchange account or calendar - my work is a groupwise shop (which i'm glad won't sync - prefer to keep work & personal separate).

i'm going to have to get my charger from home over lunch & bring it back to work with me. boo.

ETA: i have location services off by default, and i get prompted to approve whenever i open an app that needs it. wifi on/off doesn't seem to make a difference on battery drain. i don't haven't had bluetooth on yet, haven't synced my headset to it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    On Sprint. Since 1.3.5.1 yesterday, I took it off the charger. Had a 13 minute phone conversation. Played with a couple of apps while I watched the news for 30 minutes and the battery was at 45%.

I have never seen it that bad before.
    Same here.

My phone will get to 35% and then a couple times it dropped to -4%. *** is that?

I'm doctoring my phone tonight and starting from scratch.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I just updated to 1.3.5.1 last night (Used EPR first). Today my battery has been draining much faster then usual. I have checked everything I can think of and all the settings remain the same as before the update. I did a soft reset and hopefully I will see some improvement.

I am in the same boat as others who don't use exchange and therefore didn't need this update. If this persists I may have to look into using webos doctor. It's a shame because I have only seen my device improve with updates since I got it 11/1.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rklein8 View Post
    my email has 5 accts linked, but only 2 set to "as they arrive," the other 3 are manual update (and i rarely check email via the pre - prefer to use my laptop for email).
    The "as they arrive" setting has always been a known battery sucker for
    some people. Try setting those 2 to manual or at least to a longer polling
    interval.

ian
    I felt the same with 1.3.5.1. Ended up Dr. back to 1.3.5 and block the update.
    Battery is back to being very good. I don't know what it is but my battery didn't like it.. I don't use exchange so 1.3.5.1 is not necessary for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dan6681 View Post
    I just updated to 1.3.5.1 last night (Used EPR first). Today my battery has been draining much faster then usual. I have checked everything I can think of and all the settings remain the same as before the update. I did a soft reset and hopefully I will see some improvement.

I am in the same boat as others who don't use exchange and therefore didn't need this update. If this persists I may have to look into using webos doctor. It's a shame because I have only seen my device improve with updates since I got it 11/1.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I didn't have an opportunity to see what the 5.0 battery life was like because when I updated for the first time last weekend, the 5.1 update was part of it.
    I have a 3800mA battery so I usually don't even worry about battery life until about 7 or 8 in the evening. However, I had to look into this thread because I drop to 76% in just the 1st hour on the phone (funny that number is reported by so many) !!! I can't work w/o a phone so I can't experiment to see what might happen after that. Since the Friday update I just have to make sure I'm plugged into the car or the wall. Very limiting & stoopid frustrating.
    Thanks to this thread I'm going to check/change some settings now before trying any doctoring. And no, I don't use exchange.
    My battery life was never good, I would take it off the charger at 6 AM and by 2PM it would be around 40%, so I would charge it up before heading home, and even with another charge it would be down to 30%-40% by 10PM.

I have 3 Push e-mail accounts, my exchange needs to be push, and I guess I just like the others to come quickly although they only get a handful of messages a day. I would use the pre lightly through out the day, some apps, texting, quick phone calls, quick response e-mails, etc...

Every update I would hoped would increase the battery life, but every update made it slightly worse.

Until I turned off Location Services.

Now my phone is at around 75% when leaving the office and not 40%, around 10PM it is down around 50%. I don't need to use the charger again unless I think I will be out well past midnight, and I do that just to make sure it.