View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    bj, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm positive your battery problems
    are generally unrelated to what most everyone else in this thread is talking
    about. If your battery really went down 20% in 33 minutes,
    then that's WAY faster than what anyone else here is seeing
    and indicates an actual active process working hard continuously in the background.
    I'd start by shutting down, popping the battery, reinstalling and restarting.
    Recharge, and then try setting all your email profiles to manual for
    an hour, and see what happens. If you've got a Yahoo contacts
    profile set up (may have come in with something else), remove it.

ian
    Ian...no Google or anything that deals with connectivity in any way. I'll pop the battery. Not sure what setting the email profiles to manual will do because it won't allow me an apples to apples comparison,but I'll try it.

Thanks.

bj
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The problem is, what you're describing is *not* an apples to apples
    comparison. It's not like what most of the other people
    in this thread are experiencing. It's a different problem, and probably
    has a more mundane solution. I'm just having you rule out
    the usual suspects (like push email, which you admit to having).

ian
    I had major drain for a day or so after updating, then it seemed much better. This morning I was getting 19% drain with wifi on or off....and so I tried putting it in airplane mode and was getting approximately the same drain. In my case it clearly isn't related to wifi or low signal, but must be due to an app or memory leak. I'm recharging it now, then will pull the battery. I also am using a Centro battery and if there's no improvement will put the OEM Pre battery back in, although they have been behaving similarly until the update.

addendum: popped the battery, put in a Pre battery (which was at 97percent),put it in airplane mode, and am now getting 13 percent drain...in airplane mode. WTH?

Addendum 2:

Last edited by davidra; 01/09/2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I am curious though. Were you ever actually seeing any difference in battery usage with Wifi off, or was it just
    always draining fast no matter what you did? I didn't really
    see anything to indicate either way in your previous posts in this thread.
    It *seemed* like it drained less with wifi off, but, that's only anecdotal because I didn't leave wifi off long enough to really be sure (only an hour or two vs an all day thing).

As an fyi, I'm *still* running on yesterday's charge (same usage as described in my earlier post). So - it's 10:30p here - that makes it 37.5 hours since pulling it off the charger and my Pre is showing 41% still left on the battery.

Definitely popping the battery did the trick for me. (thanks again!)
    I've been getting horrid battery life since the 1.3.5 update. I had only seen the "10% charge remaining" notification 1-2 times since getting my Pre in October, and I've seen it every day to every other day since 1.3.5. I tried taking the battery out last night, so I will have to see how that changes things, if at all.
    since i've updated my pre to 1.3.5.1 and even when it was running 1.3.5 my battery has been dying really fast no matter where i am. i have tried rebooting it but it doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the phone or the battery itself. think it's time for a new phone? or is there a quick fix for this problem?
  7. JSX
    For me it clearly seems to be a wifi issue that kicked in with 1.3.5. Im buring 16% per hour with the phone idle with wifi on and around 2.5% and hour with wifi off. I never had any problem with the battery going dead before, but since the update I would get home at 5:30 with a full charge and the phone would be dying on me before I went to bed at 11 or 12. PAlm needs to fix this ASAP with a 1.3.5.2 update. I dont understand why they mess with stuff on the phone that wasnt broken when I got it out of the box on June 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    For me it clearly seems to be a wifi issue that kicked in with 1.3.5. Im buring 16% per hour with the phone idle with wifi on and around 2.5% and hour with wifi off. I never had any problem with the battery going dead before, but since the update I would get home at 5:30 with a full charge and the phone would be dying on me before I went to bed at 11 or 12. PAlm needs to fix this ASAP with a 1.3.5.2 update. I dont understand why they mess with stuff on the phone that wasnt broken when I got it out of the box on June 6.
    But some people are reporting better battery life since 1.3.5. I am not one of those people. So they were obviously attempting to make things better for us, but it didn't work out for every situation.
  9. JSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    But some people are reporting better battery life since 1.3.5. I am not one of those people. So they were obviously attempting to make things better for us, but it didn't work out for every situation.
    I suppose that If I lived in BFE or If i didnt have Wifi at home 1.3.5 would be great. but to destroy the phones features for me and i suppose thousands of other pre users because Palm put a sucky battery in the phone and now have to come up with all these fixes is stunning to me for a company that claims they want to compete with Apple. Im not a complainer generally and I still like the phone, but this is a complete debacle.
    I agree palm should have put a better battery on the pre. I also tested battery drainage with wifi on/off and there seems to be a bug with wifi for various users. Lets hope the next update will resolve some of the battery issue since more people are playing 3D games and draining their battery.

Quote Originally Posted by JSX View Post
    I suppose that If I lived in BFE or If i didnt have Wifi at home 1.3.5 would be great. but to destroy the phones features for me and i suppose thousands of other pre users because Palm put a sucky battery in the phone and now have to come up with all these fixes is stunning to me for a company that claims they want to compete with Apple. Im not a complainer generally and I still like the phone, but this is a complete debacle.
    There seems to be two issues at hand here. The original issue is not an ACTUAL draining problem, rather it is a freak instance that the phone thinks the battery has 0%, and when power is cycled on and off it goes back to normal.

This is the issue I just had with my phone, turned the phone on and it said 0%, turned it off and back on then it said 84% which is correct. My gf also told me she had this probem a few days ago. We both have the "Battery icon as percent" patch installed, I wonder if this could be the issue?
    I can't believe these posts I'm reading where people say their battery typically lasts all day 'til 5pm. The one poster even claims 2 days of battery life with minimal usage. I unplug my Pre everyday at 7am at 100% charge. By 12pm its down to 30% With minor usage (couple texts, read some emails, 2-3 calls). If it weren't for my car charger, I'd have no phone after 2pm. I am on my 3rd battery, every time I go to the Sprint store they test my battery, tell me it's bad, and give/ship me another. I never see an improvement.

I have my email set to every hour, screen on minimum brightness and off after 30sec, GPS off, WiFi on when I know there is a signal otherwise off, roam only in bad areas and sprint only where reception is better.

My BB Pearl had this same battery and would stay powered up for 5-6 days if unused. The difference is the Pre is a multi touch device with a lot of capabilities. Palm **** the bed on the battery choice for the Pre and we pay the price. No OTA update is going to correct this problem. I'm sure it will be addressed in next gen WebOs devices, but we are stuck with what we have for 2 years.
    I am having strange things with the battery after the 1.3.5.1 update.
    with 1.3.5 it was great!

about 2-4 drain per hour when idel.

but when i updated to 1.3.5.1, it went up to 10+ per hour with minimal use.

i did a shut down on the device and changed to the orgional palm battery
    (i was using the sedio 13xx one)

now battery is good again at 2-4% drain per hour.

i will test again with my sedio battery. i want to see if it was the system shut down and on again that fixed it or if it was the battery.
    As a result of this thread, I have removed all homebrew from my phone and I'm getting a *lot* better battery life. So I'm wondering if there are some comonalities between those who are getting good battery life and those who aren't.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Shoot! I should have added another 2 options:
    • I have stock WebOS and my battery life is unchanged
    • I have homebrew and my battery life is unchanged

Rats.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Shoot! I should have added another 2 options:
    • I have stock WebOS and my battery life is unchanged
    • I have homebrew and my battery life is unchanged

Rats.
    i fall into the have homebrew; unchanged category. but, my battery life is horrid since i am constantly doing at least one thing with my pre. i average about 23-28% hourly drain. now, before anyone reads that and starts freaking out, that's when i'm using it (as in tweed, messaging, and websurfing, engadget app open, etc., and contantly flipping between them), and not when idle. i use the hell out of this thing, to the point that if i look at it and the screen is off, i worry for a second cos i rarely see the screen off.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i use the hell out of this thing
    Holy crap! How do you not end up with a dead battery in 3 hours? Do you carry around 4-5 spares? Do you have a touchstone at your desk, in your car, and at home? How do you manage this?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've got everything on my phone and it's now better than ever before.
    45 HB and app catalog apps, including Quake, Doom, NFSU, X-Plane, and Precorder
    13 patches
    4 services
    2 polling email accounts
    Yahoo messenger (only active occasionally)
    I leave Wifi *on* all the time, and am frequently in active Wifi envs.
    I now leave GPS *on* all the time (used to turn it off in earlier versions,
    now it doesn't matter).
    Display brightness at 20% (this is a biggy)
    I've been running Battery Monitor almost continuously since the day
    it was released so have a pretty good idea of how it's been doing
    before and after each release.

My battery life is dramatically *better* with 1.3.5 while the phone
    is in standby. It's even a little better during normal active usage.
    Streaming music, or 3D games of course suck the battery down
    pretty hard, but that's to be expected.
    On pure standby, I'll see less than 1.5%/hr drain. If I didn't actively
    use the phone/data I think I could do 3 days on standby now.
    With normal light data usage throughout the day, I'm rarely below 60%
    after 22 hours off the charger, meaning I should be able to make it
    two days at this usage profile.

I can see that some folks are having battery problems (particularly
    wifi related) after 1.3.5, but mine has really been great.
    I used to run the SmartReflex patches to improve my
    standby usage. Now I don't even have to do that. 1.3.5 is better
    than 1.3.1+SR500 was.

Concessions I've made to help battery usage:
    No push email profiles (fetch as email arrives). They absolutely can suck your battery down.
    No Yahoo Contacts (it's a known battery sucker, which a lot of people added without
    knowing when they tried to bring in Yahoo Messenger in 1.3.1).
    Background data collection, turned off
    Screen brightness down around 20% (as mentioned above)

ian
    Interesting. Presumably your signal strength in all the places you go hasn't changed. If true, then that would leave only 1.3.5.x as the explanation as to why you're getting such good battery life.

As for me, I was getting terrible battery life: 20% drain per hour. It didn't matter if I was in good signal range, or bad. It didn't matter if I had wifi on or not. My battery was draining like water through a sieve.