View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Doesn't solve anything if your drain rate is 20%/hr on standby.
    Phone's going to be dead 5 hours after you take it off the charger.
    Simply leaving it on the charger more often isn't a solution.

ian
    But still wouldn't it be better to wake up with 100% battery and not a dead-20% one like some people are having?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
    So I went to lunch just now for an hour, had a 20 min phone conversation with pretty consistent texting, and I'm only down 2%. Seems good. We'll see if things get crazy again for no apparent reason.
    Wow! I can only DREAM of this kind of usage, no matter what my settings are!
    Has anyone tried turning Location Services off when not in use? Maybe it's doing something in the background now to help the geovernment better ensure our personal safety while absolutly never, ever spying on us whatsoever?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    If Wifi is on, the phone will constantly scan for available networks, even if it is already connected to one. If you are in an area with a large amount of networks (apartment complex, etc), this can be pretty intense. Alaso bear in mind that wireless packet filtering is done through the driver. This means that if you're in an area with a large amount of networks, ALL packets from ALL those networks are being interpreted by your phone. This is because unlike a switched wired network, everythign from a wireless access point is just broadcast out into the open air, like radio stations. The phone can filter out through hardware the stuff that's not from the channel you're on, but for the rest it has to use the CPU to throw out any that are not from the network you're on, and then not intended for you, but this is still an amount of processing that the phone has to do, as it has to do a basic inspection of those packets to determine what they're doing there. Given that many consumer routers and access points are set to the same channels (6 and 11 are the most common), an apartment complex can be a pretty CPU-intensive (for a phone) environment to use wifi in.
    That all seems logical, except I'm pretty sure it should (when working
    correctly) do absolutely *none* of what you describe when it's on
    standby. I am not experiencing the high battery drain issue yet I do have
    Wifi enabled all the time. I am in an active Wifi environment with
    several other visible Wifi networks around me. If I ping the Pre from
    another computer on the Wifi network while it's on and awake, I get
    a response. If I let the Pre go to sleep, and wait 1 minute, it will not
    respond to pings, or tcp connections. The Wifi radio is completely idle.
    The UI may show it's still on as soon as I wake it up but while it's
    sleeping it's unresponsive. It is not scanning for Wifi networks,
    or listening to broadcast packets from other devices. Mine is working
    properly.

For at least one person experiencing the wifi related high drain problem (need
    more people to test), when he's getting high battery drain, the Wifi
    radio never stops responding to pings, even when the phone is put to sleep.
    That alone (without needing to boost power, or scan for networks, or read other
    people's packets) is plenty to account for the high drain. We just
    need to figure out why the radio never goes idle.

ian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried turning Location Services off when not in use? Maybe it's doing something in the background now to help the geovernment better ensure our personal safety while absolutly never, ever spying on us whatsoever?
    That and Background Data Collection are both settings worth a look,
    although I know most folks have turned the latter off, if they've
    ever had any battery related issues.

ian
  6. jut
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    I only have wireless access at home and in my case it responds to pings all the time when wifi is on.

I let it sleep for 10 minutes and tried pinging.... I got an immediate reply.
    Sounds like you have the same issue I have
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Wow! I can only DREAM of this kind of usage, no matter what my settings are!

Yeah, I bet it's just waiting until I'm not looking, THEN it's gonna drop it down to liek -40%. I'll have to charge it overnight just to get it back to 0. =
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I only have wireless access at home and in my case it responds to pings all the time when wifi is on.

I let it sleep for 10 minutes and tried pinging.... I got an immediate reply.
    If you leave your wireless on when you aren't at home in your WiFi environment do you still see the same battery drain, or does it return to what it was like before 1.3.5?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    The time btwn "system going to sleep now" and "system woke up" was every second or so within that 5 mins
    So you had 300 some sleep/wake notices in Terminal when you came back?
    I had wondered if anyone would see that. I get a few, like a half dozen or so,
    but it eventually goes quiet for the majority of the test interval.
    I can reproduce that behavior, if I start pinging the Pre continuously
    ping -t <pre's wifi ip>
    and then let it go to sleep.
    The pings don't keep it fully awake, but instead it goes to sleep and wakes up
    again every second or two. Can see it in the ping times response
    as they go up and down dramatically.
    Makes me wonder if something on the network is sending broadcast
    packets that the Pre's radio thinks it need to pay attention to.

So far the netstat -s numbers I've seen from folks aren't showing
    extraordinarily high activity, but it does appear to be doing something.
    I need to retest mine to compare.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
    If you leave your wireless on when you aren't at home in your WiFi environment do you still see the same battery drain, or does it return to what it was like before 1.3.5?

Good Question.

Let me turn of my wireless router's Radio (thereby disabling wireless connectivity at home), leave my wifi setting on in my phone and see what happens. All other wireless networks in my neighborhood are encrypted so my phone won't be able to connect anywhere else.
  11. jut
    Good Question.

Let me turn of my wireless router's Radio (thereby disabling wireless connectivity at home), leave my wifi setting on in my phone and see what happens. All other wireless networks in my neighborhood are encrypted so my phone won't be able to connect anywhere else.

or just click "forget network" on your wifi settings for your pre. you should experience better battery life because, as i reported earlier, thats what i did and the wifi turns off when the pre goes to sleep and you are not connected to a network (the wifi icon isnt shown when the phone wakes up)
  12. jut
    So you had 300 some sleep/wake notices in Terminal when you came back?
    I had wondered if anyone would see that. I get a few, like a half dozen or so,
    but it eventually goes quiet for the majority of the test interval.
    I can reproduce that behavior, if I start pinging the Pre continuously
    ping -t <pre's wifi ip>
    and then let it go to sleep.
    The pings don't keep it fully awake, but instead it goes to sleep and wakes up
    again every second or two. Can see it in the ping times response
    as they go up and down dramatically.
    Makes me wonder if something on the network is sending broadcast
    packets that the Pre's radio thinks it need to pay attention to.

So far the netstat -s numbers I've seen from folks aren't showing
    extraordinarily high activity, but it does appear to be doing something.
    I need to retest mine to compare.

ian
    Yes I had a ton of notices. So many that when i scrolled to the top i couldnt see the 1st netstat run
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    or just click "forget network" on your wifi settings for your pre. you should experience better battery life because, as i reported earlier, thats what i did and the wifi turns off when the pre goes to sleep and you are not connected to a network (the wifi icon isnt shown when the phone wakes up)
    You took the words right out of my mouth Jut.

That is exactly what's happening !
    I didn't want to have to type my security settings back in to access my wireless network so it was easier to disable it at the router.

I just got done running battery monitor for 15 minutes and it's only reporting a 3.7% drain per hour.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Someone earlier in this thread reported that their high drain with
    Wifi enabled happened even when they were nowhere near
    a Wifi network, but the results you two are seeing seems
    a lot more consistent with what I'd expect. Something about
    these networks is keeping the Pre from going to sleep
    and staying asleep properly.

ian
  15. jut
    You took the words right out of my mouth Jut.

That is exactly what's happening !
    I didn't want to have to type my security settings back in to access my wireless network so it was easier to disable it at the router.

I just got done running battery monitor for 15 minutes and it's only reporting a 3.7% drain per hour.
    Yeah I usually get about 4% drain for the 1st 15 min or so then it usually drops to under 2% after 30 mins

im planning on doing more testing and going back over my router settings tmw.....if im not hungover of course
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    NO wi-fi on, no BT on, full EVDO signal. AOL & Gmail set at every 2. EAS upon arrival. No patches. Couple of homebrews but nothing with connectivity. I let it go to 100% and started monitoring at 4pm today (ctl time).

4:00 Sitting idle 100%
    4:10pm Added Battery Monitor. Graphing and notifications ON. 90%
    4:33p Polling every 5 minutes on Battery Monitor. Now 80% -12.76% per hr. 6.27 rem
    4:50p 73% Still idle. -309mA/3855. -15.42% per hr. 4.73 hrs remaining
    5:25p 57% -18.32% per hr. 3.11 hrs remaining.

All happened after loading 1.3.5.1 Was ALWAYS 8 hours or more while just sitting around before. Granted, graphing is polling and data and causes usage...but it was every 5 min, not every 5 seconds!!!
    This sucks. And I'm on my same Pre since 6/5/09 and have been an advocate.

Palm.....are you listening? By the way, I tried to "chat " with one of your reps today. Told them to read what I'd written, THEN start asking (the &^%$# ignorant) questions they had for me. No, I didn't say the part in paren.

bj
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    bj, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm positive your battery problems
    are generally unrelated to what most everyone else in this thread is talking
    about. If your battery really went down 20% in 33 minutes,
    then that's WAY faster than what anyone else here is seeing
    and indicates an actual active process working hard continuously in the background.
    I'd start by shutting down, popping the battery, reinstalling and restarting.
    Recharge, and then try setting all your email profiles to manual for
    an hour, and see what happens. If you've got a Yahoo contacts
    profile set up (may have come in with something else), remove it.

ian
    BTW, has anyone tried shutting the phone down and popping the battery
    out and back in? I had something suck my battery down fast
    in 1.3.1 for a day, and that was the only way to kill it (normal reboot
    wouldn't do it). Basically some hardware glitch that needed a cold boot.
    Well, this is embarrassing - but hopefully of some help.

I went ahead and shutdown, popped the battery out, let it sit for about 10 mins - put everything back together, powered up and set it to charge overnight.

Took it off the charger at 9a this morning and now at 7p I'm still at 87% !!!

That's with some light texting, about 5 - 10 mins of surfing, wifi on, bt on - and one short (few mins) call today. Stock Pre w/ some catalog apps.

That's my typical daily usage - but prior to popping the battery (i had just restarted before) it was draining every day.

I see that someone else here popped the battery but is still having battery drain. It seems to have at least fixed it for me and I'm back to normal. Go figure.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Glad to hear that your issue is sorted with a cold boot.

I am curious though. Were you ever actually seeing any
    difference in battery usage with Wifi off, or was it just
    always draining fast no matter what you did? I didn't really
    see anything to indicate either way in your previous posts in this thread.

ian
    my battery life increased ALOT after the update.

i updated yesterday and unplugged my phone about 3pm or so, had some internet useage, some IMs, and listened to music on my way home (40min). more IM's and texts, not tons though. today, listened to music on the way to work, did some internetting at work, some texts and IMs, 20min phone call... and my phone died on my way home as i was listening to music, about 515pm.

over 24 hours on a single charge! i am very pleased with the update

gps was on, IM was logged in (aim and gtalk), manual email, no bluetooth, no wifi, and original standard battery, original release date pre with zero issues at all.